Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny tire story

Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
blkfordsedan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny tire story

I stopped at a local used tire dealer today looking for a used pair of tires to get me by for a while. My truck has the factory LT235/85R16 tires, but the last owner installed AT style tires with big side lugs. I want a set of straight (highway) tread for the front since it only 2WD.

So, the guy working asks me what size, and I said it currently has LT235/85R16's in load range E, but would like to see what he had available. He then said I had to stick with a load range E due to the weight of the truck. I said "Yeah, but I'm not real concerned with the load capacity since they're going on the front and I don't ever carry much more than a load of leaves to the dump." He replied "It doesn't matter how much you carry, just the weight of the truck alone will cause the tire to blow out".

I chuckled and told him that my truck (empty) weighs exactly 4600Lbs, which is probably less than some new full size cars. SOOO, he pulled an LT245/75 tire off the rack and pointed to the load rating on the sidewall. "See" he said, "these are only rated at 3169Lbs.. You said your truck is 4600Lbs., so you're already over the limit!".

I decided there was no point in continuing, so I left.................

Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, the morons are everywhere.
I watched a guy in a tire shop rotating tires. He took off a wheel, turned it 180 degrees, and put it back on...

Old 12-19-2011, 06:03 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Phy
Yeah, the morons are everywhere.
I watched a guy in a tire shop rotating tires. He took off a wheel, turned it 180 degrees, and put it back on...
Be glad he did'nt simply spin the wheel 360 degrees and charge ya $50....

Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
The guy putting tires on mine was OK. This idiot was working on someone else's car.
I asked the manager what the idiot was doing, and we both watched for a minute. When it became obvious what he was doing, the manager just about spit out his coffee, and ran out there muttering something about the f***in' boss's moron kid...

Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow gotta be kidding me!....

I mean, I can see that happening with a know it all Joe off the street, but a guy that WORKS IN A TIRE place?

I'm also looking around for some used tires for my van, witch weighs 5800lbs empty so I might need load range E also, for the front..... LOL

I'm looking for either 215/85 or 235/85 I don't care. I love tall skinny tires.

I went at a Walmart see prices on brand new tires just for fun, and when I told him i'm looking for either 215/85 or 235/85, he asked me what vehicle will this be going on, I said, that's no concern to you, I'm just looking for those sizes, then he starts flapping his gums that he needs to know for safety reasons and bla bla, i'm like ok, it's for a 1985 E350 diesel van, then hes like, oh wow, that's a dinosaur, well what tires does it have on it already? 235/85 all around, so hes like well your only looking for 235/85 then as you can't mix and match.

I simple looked at him, and said, thank you for wasting my time sir, and walked away.

nothing beets used tires for 45$ anyways

Old 12-19-2011, 06:17 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What you don't drive around balancing your truck on one wheel?

That's really bad, that kid/guy whatever has no business working in a tire store.

Did you mention this to the owner or manager of the place?

Won't kill no one with that misunderstanding of it, however that might not apply/translate well into all his duties there with peoples vehicles.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:25 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by danr1
What you don't drive around balancing your truck on one wheel?

That's really bad, that kid/guy whatever has no business working in a tire store.

Did you mention this to the owner or manager of the place?

Won't kill no one with that misunderstanding of it, however that might not apply/translate well into all his duties there with peoples vehicles.

He needs a job on the dumb end of a shovel (with close supervision), he has no business making any recommendations about anything concerning an automobile..

Old 12-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
if you think those stories are bad wait till you hear this....my brother took his car (Nissan Altima, 2000 year) to a local shop and the people put on the tires after rotating them and appearently forgot some part (forget what) or something and the wheel near darned fell off while he was on the hiway doing at least 65 MPH, I mean I looked and watched as the wheel was wobbling around like it was held with nothing while he drove it, and I know if that wheel had come off its a pretty good bet he would have ended up flipping, in a ditch or dead, most likely some combination of the three or all three, boy was I not happy, never gone back, and I even chewed out the owner who I wasn't very thrilled with...he apologized and had it fixed for free, first he wanted to charge to fix the issue so we talked a bit more and after seeing what video i had of the tire he immediately resolved the issue no questions....I was ready to head to court over the issue too...

now I just take it to a local mom and pop place ran by some hispanic person that I know and have no issues at all, and hell they treat me like family...what more could one ask for

Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Phy
When it became obvious what he was doing, the manager just about spit out his coffee, and ran out there muttering something about the f***in' boss's moron kid...

'Nuff said....That right there, said it ALL.....

Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 PM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didnt tighten the lugs enough..hand tight comes to mind ^ Seen it a bunch of times..

I had a tire fall of my work van once. Rear had locked up and we rigged it back up. The tube spun on the pumpkin, we didnt realize it had pretty much snapped the studs. Driving around the 2nd day after repair felt like a flat tire, crossed an intersection and was gonna get out and look and BLAMMO tire fell off, rear shot down. I called my buddy with a tow truck and we got it back and put new studs on with no issues.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by CJM8515
Didnt tighten the lugs enough..FINGER tight comes to mind ^ Seen it a bunch of times..
<fiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllllll>

Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CJM8515
Didnt tighten the lugs enough..hand tight comes to mind ^ Seen it a bunch of times..

I had a tire fall of my work van once. Rear had locked up and we rigged it back up. The tube spun on the pumpkin, we didnt realize it had pretty much snapped the studs. Driving around the 2nd day after repair felt like a flat tire, crossed an intersection and was gonna get out and look and BLAMMO tire fell off, rear shot down. I called my buddy with a tow truck and we got it back and put new studs on with no issues.
thats kinda what I assumed from the get go my self...but yea I looked at the wheel its self and it was quite loose and coulda been worse...

Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
Wow gotta be kidding me!....

I mean, I can see that happening with a know it all Joe off the street, but a guy that WORKS IN A TIRE place?
Unfortunately there are people like this in every industry, and some of them have "outstanding" references and resumes too. Yet, upon being hired, we wonder how they managed to live this long.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 PM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Ok finger tight it is.

IDK what people do who have to pay places to do stuff, I do it all myself and what I cant do at the shop on my time I have my buddy do in his offtime.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by frederic
Unfortunately there are people like this in every industry, and some of them have "outstanding" references and resumes too. Yet, upon being hired, we wonder how they managed to breathe this long.
<fiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllll>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Funny tire story