1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Window Identification

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 PM
kcb37
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Identification

I cleaned up my windshield and back window to trace a template for another member today.
During the process I found a Ford logo etched in the glass, both windows.
It also says saftey glass, and I believe a part number. Could be way off.
The other thing is a D and D1 on each side of the Ford logo.

On the windshield it says
saftey
D Ford D1
glass
AS-F-WS

The back window is the same except the bottom says
AS-F-S

Just kinda curious to know if anyone knows what the numbers are?

Old 12-17-2011, 06:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I Googled "AS-F-WS" and the fit hit was Carleton Glass with information:

A Little History About Ford Glass

Starting in 1928, all Ford “Safety Glass was bugged” with a trademark as well as the date of manufacture of the glass. In most instances, glazing used for windshields was different than that used for side and rear glass and, as such, was marked accordingly. The “dating” of the glass has lead to the identification of the approximate build period of the vehicle and/or, in some instances, the exclusion of certain build periods. Improperly dated glazing or glazing without “bugging” has lead to substantial point deductions at many point judged concourses.

The script logo always incorporated the month and year on the outside ends of the oval first in numbers and beginning in 1941 coded as letters. A’ being one, or January, B’ being two, or February, and so on. Under the oval were further identifying markings. Initially, only a letter was used to indicate the manufacturer, in this case F’ indicated Ford and P stood for Pittsburgh Plate Glass. After 1937, AS-F-S or AS-F-WS was used to indicate the glass met American Standards of manufacture. These additional designators delineated American Standard – Ford, as the manufacturer, and Standard, which would be a side glass. The WS stood for windshield and was a higher quality having minimal waviness, distortion and/or imperfections.
Just as a side note, the cab I have on my F-2 came from a F-7 fire truck with only 3000 miles on it. It had perfect glass with all the Ford "Bugs" but as I was removing the windshield I forgot about the damn tabs and broke the windshield. That's why I always grind those tabs off.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:32 PM
kcb37
Senior User
I wonder if that's a bigger truck deal.
I do recall two pieces on the top of the window (on the frame not glass) but my weather stripping is/was so bad I think I pulled half of it out before I even moved the window.
I feel for you though. Sucks when you do something like that. But you have to learn somehow. Just hope I can remeber all the little things when I put my back together and have to fix it.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:52 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
All cabs on '48-52 truck should have the four tabs. They're a PIA and really serve no purpose. If you read the installation instructions in the shop manual you see says to bend them out to remove the glass and bend them back after installing the windshield. However, if you're using the stainless trim around the windshield the manual says to remove the tabs. The stainless trim does absolutely nothing to hold the window in. I ground mine off 15 years ago and have never had a problem. I've installed plenty of cab windows in big trucks and heavy equipment and none that can remember ever had the extra tabs.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 PM
kcb37
Senior User
I think I know what your talking about then. I will go take a pic, but in light of all that I think I may take mine out.
Seems to me the seal would hold it anyway.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:10 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
When I took apart my two F6's, a 51 and a 52, the 51 with standard trim had the tabs (which, of course, I forgot about, too, and had the hardest time removing the glass until I figured it out, much too late I might add). The 52 with the deluxe trim and stainless around the glass didn't have the tabs installed at all. It had the original glass still in place, and still in one piece.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 PM
kcb37
Senior User
I guess it's obvious what you are talking about. I did see them after I pulled the window, guess I just didn't take much thought about them. Like I said my weather stripping came out if pieces so I think that helped me. Good to know though.
I am going to post a pic anyway, hopefully it can help someone else out.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:20 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Ouch! It looks like you've got a little rust repair to do before putting the new glass back in.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
OUCH!! That's going to be a tough repair. I bet there was a mouse nest above the window, it's a favorite nesting place and all that urine is a good acid.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:47 PM
kcb37
Senior User
Can't say that I have seen mice, but I have seen a bird or two in the cab while the truck was in the backyard.
I will take a pic, but there is some sort of nest above the window. Haven't cleaned any of it out yet but soon.
Overall the body work dosen't scare me to much. (keep in mind I have done no body work, welding yes I can mig, just haven't done anything this thin)
The windows kinda scare me a bit. But I think I will start with the fenders. If I can shape the fillers and make it look good, I think I will be fine. Just going to take some time a patience.
Little here and there. Speaking of which I still need to buy a welder and body working tools. Guess I'm gonna be broke for like the next 20 years.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:10 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
My '52 did not have any tabs

Old 12-18-2011, 01:29 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
My '52 did not have any tabs
Was it originally deluxe trim or standard? I thought I read somewhere the deluxe versions had the tabs deleted at the factory, but the standard trucks still had them.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 AM
kcb37
Senior User
I'm pretty sure mine was just standard trim. Nothing but a black window seal around mine.
This is my above the window. I'm sure this part will be a lot of fun. But hey work with what ya got.
When I bought it in 05 the mirror was still mounted to the roof. But that fell off I think in 08 something like that. So the rust has gotten a bit worse, but overall the truck really dosen't look any different then when I bought it. So hopefully I don't have to many real bad spots.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You may want to think about buying a section of the roof to replace yours. It'll be a lot easier than trying to patch what you have.

Speaking of which, I have a good roof section that I cut of from a junked cab. It's from a 51/52, but the front section that you need is the same. I can also cut just the section that you need. It can be shipped by Greyhound. PM or email me for details.

Here's a 51 Deluxe cab that I parted out recently. When I removed the w/s, I saw that the tabs were cut off manually.

And here are the tabs in my 48.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:58 PM
kcb37
Senior User
I know I would be better off to replace it, but I think I'm going to give it a go fixing it.
It will take more time, but it's going to be awhile before I can have this back together anyway so no loss there to me.

Quick Reply: Window Identification