Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 PM
New User

carsz1976 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation Radio Display

hey i have the radio that has all of the problems too with the display. i took it to the electronics class and they have been working on it, but the teacher would like a diagram, or skanamic SP?? for the inside of the radio. if anyone knows where to find one or has one, i would greatly appreciate it so i can get my radio back. sucks having no display, but sucks even worse without a radio while there fixing it.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:35 PM
New User

MustangRonnie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Radio Display Problem

Thanks much to everyone posting info about the Radio Display problem. I have a 1999 Explorer with the same problem.
Re-slodering the power board didn't work for me so I ordered the new ones from Speed-O-Tach (price has gone up to just over $100). I only had to replace the one board (it seems a waste to have to buy 3 ckt boards when only one is bad but it's worth it) and it's FIXED!
Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:03 PM
New User

matum is starting off with a positive reputation.
2000 Expedition w CD & RDS w Blank Display

Additional information about my experience fixing this problem on the radio with CD player and RDS feature (this radio is shown on the shareamemory.com web site).
Initially I had an intermittent problem that most of the times would go away when pressure was applied on the radio faceplate. Eventually the problem became solid and no amount of pressure would make the display reappear. Based on this symptom I was pretty sure the problem resided physically close to the faceplate,
I opened up the radio removing the faceplate first and I looked for the "narrow display power board" as described in other threads, but I could not find it, and at any rate I did not think my problem was in a board that was physically separated from the faceplate, so I concentrated my search on the faceplate board on the opposite side of the faceplate.
I used a pick (similar to a dental pick dentists use) to gently (very) pry each side of the discrete surface mount componets. I did the same for the integrated circuits gently sliding the pick over the pins listening for sound disparities and watching for any movement of the pins. The integrated circuits were solidly soldered, however one of a pair of resistors, labeled R164 and R165 (I think 130 Ohm resistors) had a loose terminal. I resoldered all 4 terminals for these two components and the problem wes resolved.
The shareamemory.com web site describes the tools you'll need for this repair, namely the 15/30W soldering iron, the Torx bits T8 and T10, and .015 or .022 rosin core solder. You can get all this at Radio Shack for <$30.
Hope this helps. Cheers
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Freshman User

Raider1kilo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tom B Dimond
Go to here ; Radio display problem - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®
Old 07-24-2013, 11:37 AM
New User

1 Factory Radio is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB068 View Post
I have a 98 explorer and I was trying to change my clock and now I can no longer see the display. All the lights on the buttons work. It is just the display that does not. Any Ideas?
Hello, this is Brent at 1 Factory Radio. The best solution for display lights going out in Ford Explorers is to get a new DC to DC Converter, because this part was usually responsible for display malfunctions due to its own inherent deisgn flaws. We offer our own brand of DC to DC Converter for Ford Explorers and many other Ford vehicles from the late 90's to the early 2000's. Pioneer no longer makes these parts, but ours are 40% less expensive than the ones that Pioneer was selling. These are high-quality, newly manufactured pieces which have been specifically engineered to correct the design flaws which caused the originals to malfunction prematurely, and they come with a full-color instruction manual for easy installation. You can purchase them from our eBay site, Truck Radio, iPhone Input items in Car Radio store on eBay!, and also on the 1 Factory Radio website, www.1factoryradio.com.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:40 PM
New User

ih8chevies2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had success with gotsolder at gmail.com. He fixed mine for a very fair price. No need to buy a new one. My truck is too old for new parts
Old 09-23-2013, 03:40 PM