Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Senior User

oshoguno is starting off with a positive reputation.
Radio display

Great post, bzngraworks. Good information and if I can get my board to work again I'll try the fan. A note to people who want to solder their own boards. Avoid overheating the small square resistors because if they do the solder on the other side will melt too and allow the resistor to move and possible come off the board. I found that out the hard way. lol.

The Headstones
Old 11-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Senior User

TJ-Ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great info for late models, but unlike yours, my '88 Ranger lost its lites too. It was a miniture bulb. $2.00 and back in business.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:28 AM
New User

LeisureLarry is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up When to fix dead ford radio display or buy new one

For all of you out there, which have a Ford Explorer, Expedition or Mercury Mountaineer OEM radio, where the display is dead. This is a GENERAL issue with 1998 to 2000 Explorers. There is some help at the site below available.
I did get my radio display fixed by figuring it out myself (just resolder the joints on the powerboard in the upper left corner of the radio). But when the multifunction **** defaulted I settled for a new MP3 radio. Just 97 USD after rebates + 12 USD for the in dash kit. Sound is WAAAAY better. Wouldn't go back to the original radio if I got one as a present.
Here are the relevant links:

http://www.epinions.com/content_113223437956

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/

Good luck
Leisure
Old 12-29-2003, 01:33 AM
New User

Benelli Boy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had to do it twice to get it working again. The first time I just soldered the broken joints, I found only two. That lasted several weeks, then it went blank again. The second time I soldered every joint that I could solder. I didn't want a third try. So far so good. It's been bright for about a month. YMMV
Old 12-30-2003, 11:55 AM
New User

madkiwi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool Radio Display problem FIX!

I found a place to send the radio/tape/cd unit to, they will fix the display and offer a 1 year warranty, $45.00 plus $12.00 shipping!

sounds like the best deal to me, I plan to try the re-solder fix myself, if that doesn't work I'll send it off to these guys.

****QUOTE***
We are giving you an opportunity to repair your radio display at the lowest possible price and the longest period of warranty thereafter.

If you own 98, 99, 2000 or 2001 Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer, 98 Ford Ranger, 98 Ford E series, 98 Ford F-250, F-350, 99-01 Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest with radio that has intermittent or blank display let us help you. For $45.00 plus $12.00 shipping you will enjoy a working display again and ONE YEAR WARRANTY on this repair.

If you have any questions please call Ted at:

888-594-2136

TARO Electronics Inc.

Monday thru Saturday

7:00 AM - 3.00 PM EST
Old 01-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Posting Guru

bcjim is starting off with a positive reputation.
Radio display fixed. Removed the offending board (~10 min). Had a more qualified friend touch up the soldering. Back in, works fine, hopefully it will last awhile.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:52 AM
Junior User

jdawg11386 is starting off with a positive reputation.
hey, when you go to take the radio out, how long are the wires that plug into the radio? is it hard to get back in? any help is great. i'm going to do the fix tonight, as my display just went last night
Old 01-14-2004, 07:22 AM
Posting Guru

Its a simple operation. The wires are plenty long. Bending the tabs that hold the board in was the hardest part, but still not any sort of problem.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:51 AM
Junior User

ok...heres the deal...i've pulled the radio and resoldered the board. now the damn thing comes on and off randomly. i'm bidding on a radio on ebay so i hope i can just replace this POS radio. i dont want to resort to aftermarket systems but is there any other ideas floating around out there?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Posting Guru

I would go aftermarket rather than buy another Ford system that will probably fail also. Good systems are fairly inexpensive and easy to install.

You may have just missed something when you resoldered it, you could try it again.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Junior User

any advice on what kind of radio to get? i really like the sound quality of the factory radio and i would like something that can put out similar sound. any advice would be appreciated. also, any idea what size the speakers in the front doors are? i'm lookin to replace them since i blew them a few weeks back. thanks
Old 01-20-2004, 10:43 AM
New User

joshwiguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey all i had the same thing go out last year on my explor and took it into my local ford dealers the want $600 do fix it well of corse i left the dealers pretty made and was on my way home drove past a autosound store i stopped in looked around i had a cd deck put in for only 350 with the price of the deck and install it's only a cheep deck but it plays my cd's just fin and it also took up the value of the trk when it was bluebooked for some reason
Old 01-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Posting Guru

Try crutchfield.com they tell you what will fit your truck. I was going to getr one there if I couldnt get mine working.. Im sure other car audio sites have similar info..Im sure you can get a nice system for $200.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by jdawg11386
any advice on what kind of radio to get? i really like the sound quality of the factory radio and i would like something that can put out similar sound. any advice would be appreciated. also, any idea what size the speakers in the front doors are? i'm lookin to replace them since i blew them a few weeks back. thanks
I, too, liked the look, layout and sound of my original stock unit. When mine broke, I almost ordered a unit from a company called Visteon, which is a Ford affiliate and handles a lot of Ford's OEM electronics (in fact, many Ford dealers send their radio repair jobs out to locally certified Visteon dealer/repair shops).

http://www.visteon.com/about/features/2001/032301.shtml

I ended up having my stock unit fixed, so I didn't get the Visteon MACH MP3 player, but I definitely was considering it, even though the price (around $350 or so if I recall) was a little steep.

The speakers in the doors of my Ranger are 6"x 8".
Old 01-20-2004, 01:30 PM
New User

joshwiguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
The only way i think you can pick out a system if buy what time of music you listen to there are so many opions to chose from like decks speakers amps subs you could go on for hours but i would go into you local audio store and talk to them the ones in my town are set up were you can look at decks mix them with speakers subs ect.... i found them to be very help full in my search talk to them they well hook you up with the sound you want for the money you have to spend also ask about future trades if you buy a amp later down the road you want to upgrade if they well give you anything for trade in the store i deal with in my town dose that. Good luck and let me know what you find out with your seach
Old 01-20-2004, 01:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
1999, 2000, blank, board, clock, display, explorer, fix, ford, hwm0043, number, part, points, problem, radio, ranger, solder