Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amateur rebuilding a e4od

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
I'd start looking at your truck wiring, and the solenoid pack of the transmission.

From what I understand, if you can follow instructions carefully, and you lay out all the parts on a clean table, you should be able to rebuild an E4OD. There are a couple of E4OD-specific tools you will either have to make or purchase though in order to fully disassemble it.
And just to add:
Lead Head (Ian), you brought up a VERY important bit of information about solenoid packs a week or so ago in one of your posts.

Use the correct solenoid pack when you do the rebuild (ie. flyback diodes issue) making sure to match parts to the year of your truck and to the year of the transmission.

My mechanic, several years ago, with all good intentions, upgraded the solenoid pack (no flyback diodes) and harness during my 94' E4OD trans rebuild, thinking he was giving me the "best of the best".

Since that rebuild, my E4OD transmission has done a "double slam" (I'm pretty sure this is because of the lack of the flyback diodes in the newer style solenoid pack) into reverse which to this day still exists. Foward gears/shifting "seem" to be o.k. though.

I don't think it's killed my computer (based upon the double slamming it still does), but, as soon as I get a few bucks ahead I'm going to present my mechanic (that did the rebuild) the invaluable information you (Lead Head) posted and have him UN-DO this potential harmful "upgrade".

Thank You Ian.

I WAS paying attention !!!

Bob

Old 08-18-2012, 09:04 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a trick I figured out while removing a much smaller tranny (on a Mazda pickup), with only my 11 year old son helping me. Take the long part of a ratchet strap. Hook the hook over the top of the frame, then run the strap under the tail of the tranny, loop it around the tail of the tranny, then run the strap over the frame on the other side of the truck. Then you can have an assistant put their feet against the frame and slowly release the strap as the tranny is lowered on the jack. It allows for front-to-back movement as well, and can help on re-installation of the tranny.

Jason