Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Darksider

rtcalabrojr is starting off with a positive reputation.
gm tilt column in a 55 f100

I have been looking around for what i need to install the column in my truck. I asked before and was givin some good info and pics but im still lost abit. I know i need a drop but what size? I measured the diameter of the column where i think it would be mounted and i do not see that size listed for a drop. The bottom of the mount to the floor looks easy to make work. Im just a little lost on the top mount to the bottom of the dash. The gm column is a tilt only no shifter. There is a couple of rods that are on the outside of the the column, one looks like it has something to do with when you turn the key??
Click the image to open in full size.

1955 F100
351c/c6 8.8 3:73 posi MII airbags
I smell cookies! click to check out the truck
http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad37/rtcalabrojr/
Old 12-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Posting Guru

Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moe Craig
If I remember right both of those rods are for the ignition switch one is for the neutral safety switch and the other is for the the location of the ignition key for the ignition switch.... Is this from a Camaro or a Firebird?

1949 Ford F1
"You don't know the power of the Darkside!"
Old 12-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Darksider

I think it was from a camaro

1955 F100
Old 12-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Elder User

mytbtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Those rods on the side operate the ignition switch and the dimmer switch. The turn signal arm is pulled up to operate the dimmer switch and the key operates the ignition switch with a gear driven device. If you use a E-Z wiring harness it will have the plug on terminals for this column. If you don't have a key for this column you can get a new switch at Advance Auto for less than $15.00 and it is not very hard to replace.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Elder User

Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.
I am also using a GM column, and since you didn't get a lot of response to your question, I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. The amount of column drop you will need depends on several things........the seat you intend to use........instrumentation........and the important one..........you.

I set up my seat mounts, installed the seat, got the floor mount for the column worked out, and I set the column in to the floor mount and secured the column under the dash with zip ties at about the height that I thought I would want it.
Then I jumped in and took an imaginary drive. Adjust your zip ties to get the column to what seems comfortable to you.

There is a little more history to my drop, but I will spare you the details. I measured the distance under the dash to my column and did a quick layout in poster board for the way that I wanted the drop to look. I used the pattern to do a quick cutout in plywood to check in the truck with the column.

As you have already found out there doesn't seem to be much out there in the way of a custom drop for these columns. It will really kinda depends on where on the column your drop needs to be placed. On mine it was going to catch the column on the larger tube below where it tilts. I did a mockup for the drop out of a piece 14 ga steel.

I refined the drop by making another out of stainless and welded a band around the edge to make it look like a thick piece of metal. A lot of grinding, sanding, and polishing.

My column is an earlier model than the one you're going to use, so I don't have the dimmer switch. I eliminated the ignition switch in the column in an attempt to clean up the look. I also slip rolled a cover for the lower portion of the column out of stainless to cover up some of the unsightly stuff left after removing the switch.

Without giving a lot of specifics, hopefully I may have given you a place to start or something to think about. I spent a little time looking at your build photos and you certainly have the talent to come up with something nice.

55 F100 on the darkside.

Well done is better than well said!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
really nice work Drew!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Darksider

Drew, Nice work!!! You gave me great info and ideas!! Thanks for the kind words on my skills. I like how you made your own brackets. Im just so far into this build that everything is now turning into a custom piece or modified part.

I would hate to mount this thing in the wrong place. I guess from your pics the place for the drop is right behind the short colloar piece.

1955 F100
Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Posting Guru

Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moe Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski 2 View Post
I am also using a GM column, and since you didn't get a lot of response to your question, I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. The amount of column drop you will need depends on several things........the seat you intend to use........instrumentation........and the important one..........you.

I set up my seat mounts, installed the seat, got the floor mount for the column worked out, and I set the column in to the floor mount and secured the column under the dash with zip ties at about the height that I thought I would want it.
Then I jumped in and took an imaginary drive. Adjust your zip ties to get the column to what seems comfortable to you.

There is a little more history to my drop, but I will spare you the details. I measured the distance under the dash to my column and did a quick layout in poster board for the way that I wanted the drop to look. I used the pattern to do a quick cutout in plywood to check in the truck with the column.

As you have already found out there doesn't seem to be much out there in the way of a custom drop for these columns. It will really kinda depends on where on the column your drop needs to be placed. On mine it was going to catch the column on the larger tube below where it tilts. I did a mockup for the drop out of a piece 14 ga steel.

I refined the drop by making another out of stainless and welded a band around the edge to make it look like a thick piece of metal. A lot of grinding, sanding, and polishing.

My column is an earlier model than the one you're going to use, so I don't have the dimmer switch. I eliminated the ignition switch in the column in an attempt to clean up the look. I also slip rolled a cover for the lower portion of the column out of stainless to cover up some of the unsightly stuff left after removing the switch.

Without giving a lot of specifics, hopefully I may have given you a place to start or something to think about. I spent a little time looking at your build photos and you certainly have the talent to come up with something nice.
Man that looks great! What length is your columns? Do you remember what it's from? That is the way I want mine to turn out...

1949 Ford F1
Old 12-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Elder User

Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.Drewski 2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topmoo View Post
really nice work Drew!
Thanks, I try.............I just don't show the failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcalabrojr View Post
Drew, Nice work!!! You gave me great info and ideas!! Thanks for the kind words on my skills. I like how you made your own brackets. Im just so far into this build that everything is now turning into a custom piece or modified part.

I would hate to mount this thing in the wrong place. I guess from your pics the place for the drop is right behind the short colloar piece.
That's the reason I didn't get into a lot of specifics about where to put the drop location on the column. I kinda decided where to put it after I took that imaginary drive in my truck. I slid the column in and out of the firewall trying to determine exactly how far away from me that I wanted the steering wheel and I played with the tilt in full up and down when considering the amount of drop. I even had my wife take that imaginary drive so that she could weigh in on the final outcome.

I hope to see some pictures of your progress soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Craig View Post
Man that looks great! What length is your columns? Do you remember what it's from? That is the way I want mine to turn out...
I've tried to keep a build log on this truck since I've been working on it over such a long time period, but I'll have to say that I'm not sure what this column came out of. It appears to be out of a late 60's to early 70's A body gm car (lemans, cutlass, chevelle). I'll be pulling it back out again soon, so I'll get a measurement. Since my truck is so deep into the darkside, I usually just get an idea of what I want to do and I head to the salvage yard with a tape measure and I "shop" for the right part to do the job. I just gotta remember to put it in my log book.

55 F100 on the darkside.

Well done is better than well said!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Posting Guru

Moe Craig
LOL... I hear you about the darkside with a tape measure... My f1 is a running / driving truck and I have no plans at this time to tear it apart... but do need to continue to plan and create my want list... So need to plan the steering column, as I plan to do the Toyota steering box swap. And I am also on the darkside, just want it to look like a 49 f-1 when you look at it (on the outside and in, with improvements)

1949 Ford F1
Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Posting Guru

tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.tacson has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hey Drewski I sent you a private message. thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM