Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump is pumping but no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 04:39 PM
revans9295
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I think its clogged injectors. I have everything off the motor ready to pull the fuel rail but noticed the only thing holding the injector in the rail is a o-ring so when I un bolt the rail and turn the key on to see if the injectors is spraying it will probably blow the injector out of the rail. So how do you check a injector to see if it is clogged or not ?

Old 12-23-2011, 05:48 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I hope you can return that computer, know you need to know but jumped the gun dong that. I mentioned it yea but attempt to give overall view what the problem might be based on info so far, did not intend you go get one wish you hadn't especially if you can't return it.

As for testing the injectors there are as many hits via a google search as there are ideas on the subject itself! Check couple three four of them out see what'd work best for you and what you have handy too.

Simple 9 volt, contact switch short section of hose syringe or compressed air should suffice. Comparing all eight before any cleaning should quickly show any with zero or very little flow, show if you have a problem there in need or further investigation/work or not.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:27 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
fuel pump is pumping but no start

Originally Posted by revans9295
Ok I think its clogged injectors. I have everything off the motor ready to pull the fuel rail but noticed the only thing holding the injector in the rail is a o-ring so when I un bolt the rail and turn the key on to see if the injectors is spraying it will probably blow the injector out of the rail. So how do you check a injector to see if it is clogged or not ?
I had to do the same thing with mine. I turned the key on and with the coil primary DISCONNECTED cranked the engine by jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. The injectors mostly stayed in, I only did one side till I had 4 good ones the switched them into the other side then worked on the rest till I had 8 working. Once I did that it fired right up.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 PM
revans9295
Senior User
Its ok I returned it and got my money back (friend at parts house). Now I will do some google-ing.I will get back to you in a couple of days. Thanks

Old 12-27-2011, 08:25 AM
revans9295
Senior User
just an update ; i have the fuel rail loose and fixing to pull the injectors to clean them or send them off to be cleaned ( aint decided yet ). so if anybody has any ideas let me know .

Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 AM
So-Cal Sancho
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would the pip sensor make it act like this? on my truck it prevented the truck from starting?

Old 12-27-2011, 11:28 AM
revans9295
Senior User
I dont know .that never has come up before for me to check. well, if thats the case at least my injectors will be clean.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
I dont know .that never has come up before for me to check. well, if thats the case at least my injectors will be clean.
Reason it hasn't come up as it has spark runs when fuel is manually introduced and the computer is actively firing the injectors. That tells us the computer is receiving a sufficient pulse train from the PIP, is functioning as it should.

Waiting the outcome of the injector work, if where my truck (barring not being there first hand of course and feeling didn't miss anything) it be my next move.

Fairly sure I didn't overlook anything as no one else has chimed in pointing it out?

The "PIP" yes always suspect in no start condition however not in this case, process of elimination done to this point shows it does work. Not a out of the realm of possibility and surly worth mentioning if in doubt yea unfortunately not this time no.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
revans9295
Senior User
yeah ,after i put that on i researched PIP and decided that was a step we did pass on from doing other test. I should get my o-ring kit in at the end of the week and i will be ready to install the injectors .

Old 12-28-2011, 01:22 PM
revans9295
Senior User
ok danr1 , just thinking out loud until my parts come in to finish my injectors . i'm not trying to put the cart before the horse . BUT , what if clean injectors dont do it ? whats next if anything ? atleast i will have clean injectors right. just wondering what if . you dont have to go into detail just next step . hopefully we dont have to cross those bridges.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:01 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
ok danr1 , just thinking out loud until my parts come in to finish my injectors . i'm not trying to put the cart before the horse . BUT , what if clean injectors dont do it ? whats next if anything ? atleast i will have clean injectors right. just wondering what if . you dont have to go into detail just next step . hopefully we dont have to cross those bridges.
The only other thing it might be would have been the computer however you already eliminated that possibility unless you just happen to get a different computer suffering the same exact problem, seriously doubt it.

Then a sensor jacking off the computer to the point would start/run say MAP for example, however the fact it runs and runs good when you manually introduce fuel strongly suggest there is nothing wrong with MAP and or any other sensor might begin cause the problem.

Everything down the line has come back around to the injectors themselves as the problem, maybe not all of them but enough of them are clogged or otherwise shot to the point no or not enough fuel is being introduced by them to run the engine. Cold start is even worse, even if its 80deg outside its still cold as far as the engine/ect/act/computer is concern, that requires even more fuel yet.

Hopping like heck it starts/runs for you once those injectors have been cleaned, and fully bench "tested" before reinstalling them of course. Making sure all eight do work and work right after been serviced ovoid jump right back in same boat, injectors "function" remain a question mark after all that finding it won't start.

I'm 98-99% sure it will start however if not we'll have to cross that bridge when and if faced with whatever the problem is still remains. Really doubt that will happen....... but imagine that doesn't help much at this point does it!

Oh and again, there are many guys here know as much or more about em as I do, gotta feel one or more of them would have jumped in by this point mention it if I overlooked something.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 PM
revans9295
Senior User
I'm cleaning the injectors myself. Do you think I should send them off to be bench tested ?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
I'm cleaning the injectors myself. Do you think I should send them off to be bench tested ?
Myself I probably would have bought a replacement set either new or remains ready to go.

Time permitted do them myself I would have done a before after test of each one, it be a fairly good way find out if they are the problem.

If no or very little fuel comes through em before cleaning, just runs/dribbles out no spray "pattern" to it but does after cleaning them, now see nice spray pattern from each one that be a good solid sign they are the problem.

Just "cleaning" them no before/after test done, wouldn't really know anything for sure unless it fired up. If any of the injectors simply fail to work even after cleaning just wouldn't know it.

Myself I'd have to know/see for myself, know the injectors did/didn't work before and condition after cleaning them.

You could clean all of them and make it run again, you might end up with 7 that work great but one that doesn't work or doesn't work very well. I don't like the odds after reading some about it, never had trouble with mine yet (knock on wood).

Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had real good luck with mine, I had only one working when I started so I proceeded to test the other set. As i progressed, I think that fresh gas along with continued pulsing by the computer freed enough of them up that I ended up with 11 that worked.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:45 PM
farrell262
Freshman User
i had the same problem with my 302 i thought it was a fuel problem but it was not it was my ignition coil, Im not sure if this was covered in previous posts but thats what happened, so if you have no spark to the spark plugs of course the fuel will not ignite, again sorry if this was already covered just thought i would bring it up

Quick Reply: fuel pump is pumping but no start