6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Squeak behind dash

Old 12-16-2011, 07:15 PM
greggara
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squeak behind dash

Anyone else have a squeak behind dash? It sounds like its originating from just below the steering wheel almost near the ebrake. It occurs sporadically. Can't seem to isolate it.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 PM
farmerdave
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a squeak also in that area. It only happens when I hit the go peddle about 75% from a stop or slow roll (its not the tires). It's like something is sliding back. It sounds like fingernails on a blackboard.

Anyone else?

I have 36,150 miles

Old 12-17-2011, 01:25 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
YEP, I had a sqeak that sounded like it was coming from the ebrake area.
I could actually push on the lower left part of the dash and stop the sqeak. I let it ride for abit hoping it would go away, but it didn't.
I started tearing into the dash because I HATE sqeaks and rattles.

It ended up being a loose bolt on the top of the dash near the pillar.
....Now the bad part.... the bolt head faces towards the front of the vehicle. Neither my wife nor I could get our hands in there to turn a wrench on it through the side of the dash or from underneath. I ended up pulling the gauge cluster and going in through there and it was still too tight for me to get a hand in there but my wife was able to get a hand in there and tightened the bolt. No more sqeaks for me.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:46 AM
JReinert
Senior User
By the drivers side A pillar is what is rattling on mine. It's the little piece of plastic on the very left side just under the A pillar. It seems to be rubbing on the piece of dash just to the right of it. I have not tried to fix it and it does not sound like fun. Thanks for the advice my99.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:09 AM
greggara
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by my996duc1
YEP, I had a sqeak that sounded like it was coming from the ebrake area.
I could actually push on the lower left part of the dash and stop the sqeak. I let it ride for abit hoping it would go away, but it didn't.
I started tearing into the dash because I HATE sqeaks and rattles.

It ended up being a loose bolt on the top of the dash near the pillar.
....Now the bad part.... the bolt head faces towards the front of the vehicle. Neither my wife nor I could get our hands in there to turn a wrench on it through the side of the dash or from underneath. I ended up pulling the gauge cluster and going in through there and it was still too tight for me to get a hand in there but my wife was able to get a hand in there and tightened the bolt. No more sqeaks for me.

This is exactly what I am talking about. I can push on the left side ofthe panel below the steering wheel and it stops. I have looked under the dash but nothing.

Could you explain a bit more where this bolt is please?

Old 12-17-2011, 01:04 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Originally Posted by greggara
This is exactly what I am talking about. I can push on the left side ofthe panel below the steering wheel and it stops. I have looked under the dash but nothing.

Could you explain a bit more where this bolt is please?
Yes, and how about some pics too

You should be able to easily tell if this bolt is the loose one, as you can get access to the back side of it very easily.... now getting a wrench on it to tighten it was the hard part.

Here is roughly where the bolt is, from the top of the dash (see red zip tie) :

Pull off the dash side panel. It pulls loose by the dash then out from under the rubber molding (super easy). Note where red zip tie is pointing :

Now a close up of the backside of the bolt. Notice the red head of the zip tie is directly next to the plastic tube looking part of the dash that the bolt tightens into. The head of the bolt is on the backside coming in from the front of the truck. (The black easily accessable bolt you see in the picture is not the one that was loose on mine... would have been too easy)

It will literally take a couple of minutes to check the bolt to see if this is the one that is loose..... If you have someone with really tiny hands you may be able to reach it from underneath or through this side panel BUT we couldn't.

Let me know if you need any more info. It wasn't hard to fix just took time to figure out how to get access to it.
I am happy that we are sqeak/rattle free.... when it started it was random but just got worse over time.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:31 PM
greggara
Mountain Pass
Thank you for taking the time to do that. I will check this when I get home

Old 12-18-2011, 12:34 PM
OffroadSD
Senior User
I had the exact same problem, but I had the dealer fix this issue. They told me it was a bolt that was loose underneath the dash (a bracket that was bolted to the main frame), but not sure of the same location. They tightened the bolt and everything is fine now. Are you over your warranty, if not I would just take it in and have the dealer fix it.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:03 PM
greggara
Mountain Pass
Finally got around to check the bolt. It was not loose.

The search continues.....

Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 PM
F350Jay
Junior User
I had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they had to pull my instrument cluster out and found 2 bolts that weren't tightened all the way. The squeak is gone

Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 PM
RAPR
Senior User
sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I am unable to view the pictures that went along with the instructions to access the bolt that is possibly loose. The same problem just started on my truck. I can make the squeak stop if I put pressure with my hand on the dash panel above the gauge cluster. It happens only when hitting bumps. I can also force the dash to make the squeak noise if I push up/let go on this dash panel from underneath (directly in front of the gauges).

My truck's bumper/bumper warranty just expired, so i don't want to bring it into the dealer for just a small squeak.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That would drive me nuts. My wife's Pilot has a squeak in the dash and it's horrid. I need to rip it apart to find it, but we may trade in on a hybrid Fusion soon.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:04 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a cold chisel wedged between my windshield glass and the dash just left of center of steering wheel.

Only way I've been able to stop that dang squeak. I also have a bunch of pennies wedged in all over my dash.

I have blissful silence but my 'repairs' aren't exactly professional.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:12 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RAPR
sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I am unable to view the pictures that went along with the instructions to access the bolt that is possibly loose. The same problem just started on my truck. I can make the squeak stop if I put pressure with my hand on the dash panel above the gauge cluster. It happens only when hitting bumps. I can also force the dash to make the squeak noise if I push up/let go on this dash panel from underneath (directly in front of the gauges).

My truck's bumper/bumper warranty just expired, so i don't want to bring it into the dealer for just a small squeak.
Originally Posted by JReinert
By the drivers side A pillar is what is rattling on mine. It's the little piece of plastic on the very left side just under the A pillar. It seems to be rubbing on the piece of dash just to the right of it. I have not tried to fix it and it does not sound like fun. Thanks for the advice my99.
I copied JReinert's reply, because it's identical to my squeak, and my also be to blame for yours. On the LH side of the gauge hump, where the trim that houses the vent nozzle on that side, wraps up and over the top of the dash, it overlaps that LH side of the gauge hump, and rubs ever so slightly, on my truck, which intermittently causes a squeak. It's the foremost corner, all the way into the windshield, pretty much took me forever to find it, but until I work up the nerve to glue it down, I shoved a cute little stuffed animal my wife bought me for valentine's day right behind my inspection sticker, and voila! no more squeak!

Bonus, I get brownie points for keeping something from my wife in my truck at all times

Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 AM
lwk362393
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Both my A pillar and steering column squeak. It drives me nuts sometimes but I put up with it, for better or worse. An easy fix would be nice though!