1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Major rework on 86 F350

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
That's different. Is there a straight, drilled passage the whole way? Can you drive a rod in there?

Old 09-12-2014, 10:23 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is probably cast, but may be drilled, I will have to check.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Maybe. But the heads are cast and yet drilled. I don't know that this will work as I didn't try it. But, it should, especially if the rod is a pretty good fit.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:52 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not spend the little extra on headers? Seems pretty easy to find used Tri-Ys for the newer (87+) 7.5 trucks. I've found 3 sets at junkyards in the last 10 months, sorry none are available but if I find another I will try to keep you in mind.

From what I've seen people have put pretty big cams and rollers under the stock valve covers, big enough the Speed Density has trouble running with it.

If you're interested I have a full factory MAF setup for sale, although it's not cheap..

Either way you should end up with a stout combination on the motor.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:14 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Why not spend the little extra on headers? Seems pretty easy to find used Tri-Ys for the newer (87+) 7.5 trucks. I've found 3 sets at junkyards in the last 10 months, sorry none are available but if I find another I will try to keep you in mind.

From what I've seen people have put pretty big cams and rollers under the stock valve covers, big enough the Speed Density has trouble running with it.

If you're interested I have a full factory MAF setup for sale, although it's not cheap..

Either way you should end up with a stout combination on the motor.
Damn, I wish you were closer, I have a 1990 T-bird SC engine I bought and then found that the 1996 body I wanted to stick it in needed a bunch of repairs to be useable. What of the complete factory MAF system do you have, everything including the engine or just the external parts?

Old 09-12-2014, 05:47 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...maf-setup.html

I need to lower the price a bit and think it's gonna go on Ebay here real shortly.

The truck I took it off had a serious cooling system issue and when I pulled the upper radiator hose it was half filled with rust particulates so I didn't bother with mechanicals on that engine.

If I do a different motor for the SC I'll build a 4.0 as all the SC specifics will bolt on, as I understand all I've read.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:33 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Actually, you would want a 4.2 as the 4.0 is a 60° V6 for a Ranger/Explorer. The only things I would really want would be the front cover and misfire trigger (on the external counterweight) and the intake tract, possibly if it would come off, the EGR tube. I will take the cruise control cable if it isn't bad, it is the same for 1993-97 460 trucks. I already have the PCM, wiring and MAF setup on mine. Even $1600 is way more than I would spend now, if it had been available when I started, I would have probably snapped it up since I spent $750 on the PCM and software to flash it. If I didn't have a good friend with a junkyard, the wiring would have been a lot more.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:52 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
What I have pictured is what all is included, but guess I need to go get the counterweight for the setup to be complete.

I'm really not looking to split up what I have.

I can look at getting the other items you're interested in next time I get back to that truck, 120 miles from where I live.

Ah, 4.2, even better displacement. haha

Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Ok, I don't blame you for wanting to sell it as a complete setup. If you do stumble on any CA spec 1996/7 460s see what's available. The counterweight has the trigger on it and the timing cover has the sensor mount I could use a later water pump pulley, it changed in 1994 and I want to put the later pump (bigger bearings) on my new engine since I've already blown up one pump on mine.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:06 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Your just educating me on all kinds of stuff I have to go pull now. haha

Old 09-16-2014, 06:28 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

I did forget to reply to one of your original items. headers, no way, I had them on two different cars. I got real good at changing the header gaskets about once a year. The first was a 1964 Falcon with a built 260, the second was my 1966 GT-350. At least on the Shelby they were pretty easy, once the bottom was off, they would come out from the top.

The second issue is my O2 sensors, I am running an EEC-V system like your CA spec stuff, with the dual O2 sensors in the headpipes. I am using the stock SD system location for my wideband.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Ya, cheap headers have a lot of problems.

The headers waiting to go on my truck are now Cerakoted and they have 1/2" thick flanges that the manufacturer demands you NOT use gaskets with.

If a header has a flange anything less than 3/8" thick I won't pull it, even if I'm only getting it to resale.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The headers waiting to go on my truck are now Cerakoted and they have 1/2" thick flanges that the manufacturer demands you NOT use gaskets with.

If a header has a flange anything less than 3/8" thick I won't pull it, even if I'm only getting it to resale.
Must be sanderson headers?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Multiple manufactures have the same specs and a no gasket install, unfortunately none of them mark their headers. Such as Banks, Stans, Doug Thorley, L&L and others. Believe mine to be the Banks headers based on the style of ball flange pipe connectors they have and the placement of the connectors, however the Doug Thorley headers are nearly identical.

Quality is quality and with as many sets as I've held in my hands I have come to believe that it's one company making the headers and multiple companies selling them as their own. Much like oil and a million other products in the aftermarket industry.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:33 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

The headers weren't cheap, maybe the set on the Falcon as there weren't but one or two choices. The Shelby had Hooker headers after the original Shelby tri-ys became swiss cheese. Since I don't have a cat on mine (never did, it's an 86) and I have the nice dual 2 1/2" pipes all the way to the muffler followed by a 3" tailpipe, what small gain in power I might see from headers at the normal RPM I will be running (1500 at 55 for example) I will see more from a roller cam and rockers.

Quick Reply: Major rework on 86 F350