Sponsored by: Moser

XLT vs FX4

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:33 PM
'78F250351m
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XLT vs FX4

I am currently in search of a new F-150. I thought I was set on getting the FX4 model but when I looked at the extras it had compared to the XLT the price difference didn't make much sense. The FX4 has the skid plate, the console shift, different wheels, grille, and bumpers, and stiffer shocks, and probably a couple other minor things. Those extras don't seem to add up to another $10g's more for the FX4 than the XLT to me. I'm curious....am I missing something or is Fords pricing between these two models off a bit?

Thanks for the input!

Old 12-16-2011, 04:45 PM
jorlee
Senior User
I'd like to know how you get 10K difference. Spec both the same from the start, and I only see a 2k difference.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
XLT crew, 6.5' bed, 5.0 V8, 4x4, 3.73 E-locker - $37,520
with EcoBoost - $38,270

FX4 crew, 6.5' bed, 5.0 V8, 4x4, 3.73 E-locker - $39,915
with EcoBoost - $40,665

With either engine, the difference is $2395

Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 PM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea and the FX4 I have on order with every option, with even the new for 12 F150 factory spay in bed liner is $50,500. But on the other a fully loaded XLT is not that far behind it! I may end up just getting a raptor as a fully loader 12 raptor is $55,500 with spray in bed liner. And really folks, who wants a sick sounding V6 when you can have a more powerful V8, sound and all with about the same fuel economy for a few more bucks! And it's a raptor, not a lame F150 WHATEVER!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:58 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
The FX4 with the luxury package is a pretty spendy rig but really it comes down to one's taste. Do you want chrome or painted bumpers? A leather option? Standard 3.73 ELD?

If I could get an FX4 with chrome bumpers then I would have been all over it. The paint chips way too easy. I feel for the King Ranch and Platinum guys with the painted bumpers as well.

I have a customer with a 2010 Red Plat 4x4, never been off road but his front bumper is pitted and dinged to death. Looks horrible.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
And really folks, who wants a sick sounding V6 when you can have a more powerful V8, sound and all with about the same fuel economy for a few more bucks! And it's a raptor, not a lame F150 WHATEVER!
Well, in most cases, that raptor will not get near the mileage the EB gets. Sure, there are a few exceptions here where people complain about low mileage, but that's not the average.
And besides that, those lame F150 WHATEVER's can haul and tow a lot more than that little raptor - something that may be important to a few people who buy a truck? The raptor is pretty weak in that compartment. Looks good though, got to give it that ....

Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 PM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Talking

Originally Posted by flixden
Well, in most cases, that raptor will not get near the mileage the EB gets. Sure, there are a few exceptions here where people complain about low mileage, but that's not the average.
And besides that, those lame F150 WHATEVER's can haul and tow a lot more than that little raptor - something that may be important to a few people who buy a truck? The raptor is pretty weak in that compartment.
I have F350S, F250S, F150S and a Sporttrac plus Mack and Peterbilt trucks to do my hauling. This truck will just be another toy like my jeep wrangler. Not to forget my expy, 2 explorers and my 12 expy which is on order and is over due for lack of 20 inch wheels. Oh and my 11 explorer which by the way is a big pile of crap and is going to be traded on the 12 expy. I think I need a raptor just for fun. And to complement my 08 Corvette!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:29 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
I have F350S, F250S, F150S and a Sporttrac plus Mack and Peterbilt trucks to do my hauling. This truck will just be another toy like my jeep wrangler. Not to forget my expy, 2 explorers and my 12 expy which is on order and is over due for lack of 20 inch wheels. Oh and my 11 explorer which by the way is a big pile of crap and is going to be traded on the 12 expy. I think I need a raptor just for fun. And to complement my 08 Corvette!
Yes, if money is of no concern, the Raptor certainly is a nice toy, no doubt!
I wonder why you first ordered the FX4 with EB?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 PM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Originally Posted by flixden
Yes, if money is of no concern, the Raptor certainly is a nice toy, no doubt!
I wonder why you first ordered the FX4 with EB?
Well it is this simple. You can get a FX4 with race red and the appearance package which adds many feachers including black and red leather interior. 20 inch black wheels and blacked out head and tail lights. The stupid race red raptor only comes in black interior. The only color added to the rapor interior is blue for gods sakes. Wtf wants a blue accented interior which comes with every color raptor except race red. Race red gets only black. It needs the red like the orange got the orange accent interior as a option. Oh well I may just have to get a plane oh vanellia race red raptor with all black interior. While the lowly FX4 gets the jazzed up red on black interior with the race red paint. But I wil get a kick as$ V8 instead of a pis$ ant V6 wannabe!

Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 PM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Also the dealer lets me order anything I want, no money down and I only take what I want. No pressure whatsoever! You know some body has to order dealer stock weather it b them or me. And I have really good taste so who cares. It will sell anyway. When anybody puts money down to order a vehicle it is a scam, but the general public is so stupid they just go along. I also have a 58 K expy on order at another ford dealer, also not a dime down, and I have never bought from them before! That way it is totally up to me if I want to buy or walk.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:24 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by '78F250351m
I am currently in search of a new F-150. I thought I was set on getting the FX4 model but when I looked at the extras it had compared to the XLT the price difference didn't make much sense. The FX4 has the skid plate, the console shift, different wheels, grille, and bumpers, and stiffer shocks, and probably a couple other minor things. Those extras don't seem to add up to another $10g's more for the FX4 than the XLT to me. I'm curious....am I missing something or is Fords pricing between these two models off a bit?

Thanks for the input!
Anyway...Back on the OP question...I had this same delima, back in June when I ordered my truck.

Of course you must realize by now that everyone is right...An FX4 generally come's out to only about 2K more than an equally equipped XLT not 10K. In the end I was much more pleased with the FX4's look...I really liked the color matched bumpers over the chrome look...Chrome looks great on older trucks, but new trucks can't swing it as good IMO. The FX4 came standered with everything I wanted and would otherwise have to get as an option on an XLT model. I also much perfer the black and silver look of the FX4's interior over the Gray and Tan look of the XLT's.

So when it came time for me to make or break a deal I decided that since this is going to be my truck and I worked hard for it, I'm going to spend a little extra to get excatly what I want.

I suggjest you do the same.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
Anyway...Back on the OP question...I had this same delima, back in June when I ordered my truck.

Of course you must realize by now that everyone is right...An FX4 generally come's out to only about 2K more than an equally equipped XLT not 10K. In the end I was much more pleased with the FX4's look...I really liked the color matched bumpers over the chrome look...Chrome looks great on older trucks, but new trucks can't swing it as good IMO. The FX4 came standered with everything I wanted and would otherwise have to get as an option on an XLT model. I also much perfer the black and silver look of the FX4's interior over the Gray and Tan look of the XLT's.

So when it came time for me to make or break a deal I decided that since this is going to be my truck and I worked hard for it, I'm going to spend a little extra to get excatly what I want.

I suggjest you do the same.
I have the same black and silver interior as you do. Had it been tan, I would not have bought this truck.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:03 PM
'78F250351m
Senior User
Thanks for all the feedback. When I sat down with the dealer last week after test driving trucks we looked at the prices and the only reason I mentioned the $10k difference was because that's what he showed me. I know all of the options vary the price, but I saw the prices he had written down as well and he exaggerated some by saying $10k but it was pretty close. I'm glad you guys are telling me he's wrong cause I really want the FX4 but wasn't going to pay that much more money. Just another reason to stay skeptical about dealers. That's why I'm not a big fan of buying new vehicles.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With me it's an XLT. I just can't go with the flow thru console and floor shift. But I'm not a big fan of the XLT interior either. If I could get the FX4 colors for interior in an XLT I'd probably be willing to buy a new truck. The cost of a new truck buys a lot of fuel for my 06 5.4L when Ford won't offer me exactly what I want.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:08 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Soooo, anyway- I bought an XLT because thats what I wanted. Actually more than that, I wanted the STX but wifey told me it was gonna be the XLT if she were riding in it at all. One of my best buds just bought a SCrew FX4 on Thurs. He stopped by with it on Fri, and man what a sweet truck that is! He wanted an XLT but with only a small number of 2011's left thats what he got with the towing pkg, etc that he needs for the boat. Oh and the EB, which I had the pleasure of riding in one last weekend on a "tow test" Brimar trailer @ 2k, approx 5 tons of stone, and 4 of us. Probably easily overweight but that EB just pulled it like nothing! So Monday my bud called around, traded in his 06 F350 Lariat on it. If I didn't use my truck for work and being on the jobsites daily I wouldn't mind having his truck at all, but I would just have it a mess and that wouldn't be right.

Quick Reply: XLT vs FX4