Sponsored by: Moser

trans flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:28 PM
SRT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Considering the shear volumes of maintenance that my 80's model F-150's required, it's nice to own the 2011 and check the engine oil weekly and turn the key.

I am very happy NOT doing 30K tune-ups, 30K wheel bearing packs, 30K trans flushes, 60K serp belt changes, 3K oil changes. Over the life cycle of the truck, this is a ton of money.

Go into the 1997-2003 section which is the beginning of time for the mod motors in the F-150's. These guys are getting hundreds of thousands of miles out of their trucks. Ford is evolving with the rest of the auto industry.
Yeah -- I'm always blown away by how much cars (and trucks) have improved, and how little maintenance is required. I'm older than most here, and started driving cars that were '40's and '50's vintage. To keep them going, you had to either have money or some mechanical ability. I used to carry all the basic tune-up parts and tools with me, all the time -- points, plugs, rotor, condenser, distributor cap, and carburetor kit; along with a dwell meter and timing light. I did a lot of tune-ups in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere with a flashlight -- just to keep the wheels turning. Hoses, belts, tires, brakes all wore out around 10,000 miles.

Now we complain that vehicles have become so technically sophisticated that the average knucklehead can no longer work on them; but the truth is, with a little care -- most newer cars require very little maintenance. My wife has a 2001 Expedition (55,000 miles) that we bought new; and it's never been back to the dealer or ever had a single problem. I change the oil & filter every 2500 miles; and it's had couple batteries, a set of tires, and I put on new brake pads -- and that's it. And it still looks pretty good, the exterior & interior are holding up very well.

Maybe a little perspective is due here: We now have transmissions that require no maintenance for 150,000 miles, when only a few years back, most vehicles were rusting in a junk yard long before ever getting close to 150,000 miles -- that's progress boys!

Old 12-18-2011, 01:54 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by SRT
Yeah -- I'm always blown away by how much cars (and trucks) have improved, and how little maintenance is required. I'm older than most here, and started driving cars that were '40's and '50's vintage. To keep them going, you had to either have money or some mechanical ability. I used to carry all the basic tune-up parts and tools with me, all the time -- points, plugs, rotor, condenser, distributor cap, and carburetor kit; along with a dwell meter and timing light. I did a lot of tune-ups in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere with a flashlight -- just to keep the wheels turning. Hoses, belts, tires, brakes all wore out around 10,000 miles.

Now we complain that vehicles have become so technically sophisticated that the average knucklehead can no longer work on them; but the truth is, with a little care -- most newer cars require very little maintenance. My wife has a 2001 Expedition (55,000 miles) that we bought new; and it's never been back to the dealer or ever had a single problem. I change the oil & filter every 2500 miles; and it's had couple batteries, a set of tires, and I put on new brake pads -- and that's it. And it still looks pretty good, the exterior & interior are holding up very well.

Maybe a little perspective is due here: We now have transmissions that require no maintenance for 150,000 miles, when only a few years back, most vehicles were rusting in a junk yard long before ever getting close to 150,000 miles -- that's progress boys!
Very good perspective sir and well said!

Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
mitch150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ah yes, I remember those days of old! One of the reasons I enjoy doing all my own work on my truck is because it doesn't take as much maintenance as it used to, and I think it has become some what easier to do the work as well. Of course with all the technological advances being made with vehicles today, I also think it has become more expensive to have anything serviced at the dealerships or shops.