2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with cam phazers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:05 PM
dannydump
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem with cam phazers

I have a 05 f150 5.4 triton I was told it a problem with sludge causing a problem with the cam phazer. I change the oil every 4 to 5k . been told by one ford dealer i need a new engine also been told by another dealer all i need is for the engine to be flushed out new phazer and vct install. I only 66,700 miles on the truck bought it in 07 with 23,700 miles . My ext. warranty company is not wanting cover the repair because of the small amount for sludge the dealer found in the valve cover and small amount in the valley by the cam on number 2 bank. even though i change my oil at 4 to 5k my self the warranty company said with out receipts from where i brought the filter and oil its out my pocket for the repair have any one had the same issue. One mech at local ford dealer said he has seen this before in this model engine. any suggestion would welcomed

Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 AM
mitch150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dannydump
I have a 05 f150 5.4 triton I was told it a problem with sludge causing a problem with the cam phazer. I change the oil every 4 to 5k . been told by one ford dealer i need a new engine also been told by another dealer all i need is for the engine to be flushed out new phazer and vct install. I only 66,700 miles on the truck bought it in 07 with 23,700 miles . My ext. warranty company is not wanting cover the repair because of the small amount for sludge the dealer found in the valve cover and small amount in the valley by the cam on number 2 bank. even though i change my oil at 4 to 5k my self the warranty company said with out receipts from where i brought the filter and oil its out my pocket for the repair have any one had the same issue. One mech at local ford dealer said he has seen this before in this model engine. any suggestion would welcomed
What's the issue with your cam phasers? Constant ticking? If so that's been a problem with the '05s since they rolled off the factory. I have an '05 that started ticking at around 50,000 miles, then I started using a 15/40 wght. oil at around 100,000 miles and the ticking went away for roughly 60,000 miles or so, but it comes back after the engine is significantly warmed up now. If it is the ticking your concerned about I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, I have 195,000 miles on my ride now and I haven't done anything the cam phasers yet. I forget what it is that is causing the problem, but now that you've reminded me I am going to look back into it, there is a write up online somewhere on how to fix this issue.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Rudeman
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem is that it's a terrible design. One that Ford completely abandons the owner on. They must know that there will be problems for as long as the truck is on the road but they offer no remedy beyond the routine warranty repair. Once the warranty period is over you're left holding the bag.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:47 PM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Was the design ever changed on the newer engines?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 PM
cholifie
New User
Uuuuughhhh

Just took mine to the mechanic today. he said he could change the phasers if i wanted him to, but it probably won't solve the problem. he said "the three valve engines are junk" said he change phasers two times recently didn't fix problem. he says there is probably slack somewhere in the crankshaft that causes oil pressure drop...... phasers work of oil pressure.

He said over time it would get worse and eventually i could use the engine as a boat anchor. right now the engine has lost it's pep and i get 11-12mpg

Anyway he said for around $6,600 he could put a new engine in with a 3 yr 100k warranty.

There was another customer in at the same time I was there. He said that had two of the new engines put in. i think he had fleet vehicles.

Thank you Ford Motor company; A bought lesson is a well learned lesson.

Last edited by cholifie; 12-16-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: add comments
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 PM
mitch150
Elder User
Originally Posted by cholifie
Just took mine to the mechanic today. he said he could change the phasers if i wanted him to, but it probably won't solve the problem. he said "the three valve engines are junk" said he change phasers two times recently didn't fix problem. he says there is probably slack somewhere in the crankshaft that causes oil pressure drop...... phasers work of oil pressure.

He said over time it would get worse and eventually i could use the engine as a boat anchor. right now the engine has lost it's pep and i get 11-12mpg

Anyway he said for around $6,600 he could put a new engine in with a 3 yr 100k warranty.

There was another customer in at the same time I was there. He said that had two of the new engines put in. i think he had fleet vehicles.

Thank you Ford Motor company; A bought lesson is a well learned lesson.
sounds to me like your guy wants to make some money off of you. I personally think he's full of ****. As I stated before, I have a 195,000 on mine and it's still going strong. One thing is for sure, slack in a crankshaft isn't causing a ticking issue in the engine. As stated, your mechanic is full of ****

Old 12-16-2011, 09:39 PM
cholifie
New User
well

mine isn't going strong..... it's a dog weak weak weak.....11mpg, putting around.

rattles like a powerstroke at around 1100 rpm.

ford garage says $2600 +/- for cam phaser job but they want to look at it to determine the best route.

garage today says he hasn't had any luck replacing phasers. he would do it but if it doesn't work that's $2600 then $6500 for reman engine and install. that equal out to $9100. plus i just spent $420 at another shop today on cam position sensors (waste of money). I don't know bout you folks but I ain't got $10grand in my back pocket right now.

anybody want to buy a 2005 f150 screw 4X4?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:04 PM
dannydump
New User
I have had a minor ticking ad idle. but 2 weeks ago it started to miss like i had happen when i had fuel injector problems. Had to have 3 injectors on back 1 replaced. when it started to miss i took it stright to one of the local parts store they put code reader on it found three codes #1 cylinder plug , oxy senser, and one i cant remember. took to local ford dealer that who said it had a problem with the phazers due to what they say is a sludge probelm

Old 12-16-2011, 11:33 PM
mitch150
Elder User
Originally Posted by cholifie
mine isn't going strong..... it's a dog weak weak weak.....11mpg, putting around.

rattles like a powerstroke at around 1100 rpm.

ford garage says $2600 +/- for cam phaser job but they want to look at it to determine the best route.

garage today says he hasn't had any luck replacing phasers. he would do it but if it doesn't work that's $2600 then $6500 for reman engine and install. that equal out to $9100. plus i just spent $420 at another shop today on cam position sensors (waste of money). I don't know bout you folks but I ain't got $10grand in my back pocket right now.

anybody want to buy a 2005 f150 screw 4X4?
Sorry for your whoas man, really am. Hope things work out for the better for you.

My truck was a slug and only getting around 11 mpgs when I first got it and it was new, invested in a custom tuner and a few other things for it, and it runs like a top, good off the line speed and I now get around 18 mpgs, highway of course, and that's if I don't step on it all the time and if I use cruise control, but man that's hard to do cause it's just so damn fun to drive.
Well good luck cho.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 PM
mitch150
Elder User
Originally Posted by dannydump
I have had a minor ticking ad idle. but 2 weeks ago it started to miss like i had happen when i had fuel injector problems. Had to have 3 injectors on back 1 replaced. when it started to miss i took it stright to one of the local parts store they put code reader on it found three codes #1 cylinder plug , oxy senser, and one i cant remember. took to local ford dealer that who said it had a problem with the phazers due to what they say is a sludge probelm
I tell ya, if one injector starts giving you fits, you should just replace all of them, cause if one goes the others are sure to follow, same thing with the cops. That's what I did 10,000 miles ago and couldn't be happier with the results, truck runs like new and and fuel mileage improved some, which had dropped off a little over the years, basically from the injectors getting dirty or clogged

Unfortunately I don't trust dealerships, which is why I try to do whatever needs to be done to the truck myself. I have the satisfaction of knowing it's getting done and done right and it saves money on labor too, besides the fact that I can't afford what the stealerships charge you today.