1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you only want one filler door you could lose the spare and fit a 38 gallon aft tank.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I would also keep the two tanks but the 38-gal Bronco tank has some advantages... but you'd need to make sure you have the correct sending unit with a LONG dip tube...

Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 PM
BiGGreen350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
two definitely. with the gas your built motor is going to be consuming and just over all ease. 2 is the way to go.

we have em on all our trucks and ive never thought they look out of place

Old 01-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Ok, guys. The "twos" have it. Thanks.

I'm not sure I want to add dual tanks initially, but having the ability would be nice. And I'm not sure the 38 gallon tank would work if I can't put the spare under the bed. In fact, I plan to adapt a later winch-style spare tire mechanism, which probably takes up even more room.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 AM
NFLD FLARESIDE
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with the point made above....honestly the 2 filler doors looks better on these....one thing I always noticed and liked about them....imo

Old 01-23-2015, 08:56 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I would go with two doors, Gary, for the same reason listed by 85lebaront2. But, I would only install and plumb one [front?] so as to not have to switch from tank to tank to prevent gumming problems. This plan would offer the future owner(s) the utmost in flexibility, so the extra tank and associated plumbing could be added later, if deemed necessary.

As far as looks go, I would prefer the single door.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Luke76
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What say ye?? I say that's some glorious color! The first color I've seen (though it's entirely possible I missed something in some other thread). That burgundy red just makes me happy looking at it. I love it.

Gary remind me where you are sort of on the big picture. Sounds like your paint man just needs to do the bed and then can you start assembly, is that right? I know the frame is painted. Your engine isn't quite ready but assembling the body and mechanicals will give you lots to do. Are you gearing up for doing some major work this spring, or is there something else I forgot?

Old 01-23-2015, 01:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
David - Thanks for the input.

All - I called John, the body man, this morning and said to go with the two-door bed side. And, I asked about where these panels were made and he said USA on old Ford tooling. He has a friend that can get them and has gotten him lots of panels over the years. But, if they aren't correct they'll "go back in a heartbeat". So, I felt good with that.

Luke - Yes, I like the color. It is the original color, although this one came with a candy apple red top to the cab, which I don't remember as it was repainted not too long after Dad got it. And, I can't imagine that red on top of maroon, so opted to leave it off.

As for where I am, the frame has been blasted and painted, a second time, and is awaiting the body parts. Everything but the bed and tail gate have been painted, and they'll be done when the bed is fixed.

All of the machine work on the engine has been done, so I have everything with which to build it. I need to send the ZF5 t-case out for a rebuild, but the drive shafts are "new". And while the rear axle is "new" I'll need to pull it down and clean it since it has gone through two sandblastings. Ditto the front diff, but it has never been out so will need to be inspected. And the front axle u-joints will be replaced.

However, before I get to the engine/tranny/driveline I'll be installing the dash and main wiring harness. Then I can get into the engine compartment easily to add the wiring changes I have planned, including the power distribution box, various relays, battery tray upgrade, etc. So, the engine can wait a bit. But, there is a LOT to do, and I can start in a few months.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good deal!

Sounds like you picked the right guy. The work looks great.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I have the right guy, for sure. I think he's planning on paying for the new bed sides as he's working against a fixed cost and sees he could spend forever working on the bed to fix all the many ills, or he could buy some bed sides and be done quickly. That way he can move on to another project and make more money.

Also, we've already talked about when we, he and I, start the next project - either the Bee or the '50. He's ready to start on either and has experience on both kinds of projects. (You should see the 30-something Packard he's basically building from scratch for a guy.) So, I found the right guy and intend to keep him working on one of my projects in the background for several years.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:46 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
But what will happen when bring him *my* truck (parts) as a project?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Good luck!

Seriously though, he has several projects going at a time. That Packard has been there for a few years, but I see progress being made each time I go up. And there are others as well. In between he works on the money-makers - collision repair.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by first today
I already told Gary, but will post here.

I would find out the quality of the bed sides being used. After all this time and effort to use ford items, the Chinese repro parts leave a lot to be desired. The weight, fit, and tin can sound are pretty bad. Look at the repro non ford tailgates.
I agree with that, Matt used to sell them, he put one of the LKQ replacement tailgates on the 86, and would not let anyone sit on it. A beer can is stronger!

If you can't find new, look for some good Southwest used.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:47 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Don't worry. John says these are made in the USA, on Ford tooling. He has bunches of time in this truck and I'm confident he's not going to use a substandard component in it.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Another update. This truck truly IS going to be an FTE truck. I just posted on Dad's Air Cleaner about Lariat 85 having sent me the cold air bellows I needed to connect the air cleaner to the adaptor on the radiator support. Now Chris has sent me the folding license tag holder that will allow me to put a hole in the bumper to access a winch-style spare tire holder. Thanks, Chris!

Now I need to visit the salvage to find that spare tire holder, mark where it fits on Rusty's frame, determine if a hole is needed in the rear of the bed, and put the hole on Dad's bed before John gets it painted. But, he is expecting it as we talked about the sorry spare tire holders both Ford and Chevy used back then, and he agreed that an update is warranted.

Quick Reply: Dad's Truck Build