Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Rust repair, what us salt belt guys have to put up with

Ok its not a X but this is where I hang out and I wanted to share what kind of stuff we have to put up with because of salt. This is our 95 F250 with 351. Has about 375K on the clock and still going despite wisconsins best efforts to kill it with salt. (I wish they just used sand and people would learn how to drive)

On with some pics.

One leak:
Click the image to open in full size.

Two leaks:

front of leaky pan, see any rust prevention efforts by ford anywhere?

See the bedliner?

Hmmm

More rusty broken stuff to fix.

The frame rusted nearly threw. See the "flakes" of rust about 1.25" thick?

Those aren't gonna come apart.

Typical broken bolts

Only broke one stud on the drivers side, it must be my lucky day!

Junk is out.

even the inside of the motor has a rusty brown look to it. lol

New one will go in tomorrow and then I start on the gas tank.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 12-15-2011, 07:58 PM
New User

extrude pwn3d is starting off with a positive reputation.
Holy crap. You really got your work cut out for you. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Senior User

Sader has a good reputation on FTE.Sader has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Ok its not a X but this is where I hang out and I wanted to share what kind of stuff we have to put up with because of salt. This is our 95 F250 with 351. Has about 375K on the clock and still going despite wisconsins best efforts to kill it with salt. (I wish they just used sand and people would learn how to drive)
Amen to that! Most people are idiots when it comes to driving, even in good weather.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Senior User

BigMikeUGA is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just another reason to live in the sunny Southeast!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Posting Guru

ExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputation
Methinks you got your money's worth out of that one!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Senior User

ScottyDsntKnow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sader View Post
Amen to that! Most people are idiots when it comes to driving, even in good weather.

You should come to NJ, I grew up here but I'm military and most of the people I work with are from out of state and consistently amazed that more people don't die in car crashes here. Even in the best weather some moron will always wreck on the Turnpike and then create a 2 hr backup for everyone on BOTH sides of the divider because all the idiots on the other side of the highway rubberneck and then jam up that side too.

As far as that repair... those guys must REALLY love that truck because that is just about ready to go to the scrap heap. I suppose some new fenders but I can't imagine what kind of cutting/welding in new sheetmetal the rear wheel wells need...
-1995 Cobra SVT #3914, 301whp/325wtq - sold
Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Elder User

809taino has a great reputation on FTE.809taino has a great reputation on FTE.809taino has a great reputation on FTE.809taino has a great reputation on FTE.809taino has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxWhy View Post
I agree...
Air Force edition.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM
World Famous

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
My hat is off to you Andy, I would go insane if I had to work on rusty junk like that every day. We see a decent amount of salty roads here in PA, nothing like you guys but enough, I try to keep the undercarriage washed down frequently during the winter. So far it has really helped, most of my junk is holding up pretty well. I'm hoping to get my chebby pickemup back on the road soon to save the EX from any salt exposure this winter.

Tom 2005 Excursion XLT V-10 4X4, '04 SD 18"s, Modded X/B's, 35" Nittos, 4.88s.
'08 Mirrors, Hellwig, Ultra-Gauge, Banks Headers, 5 Star Tunes, GlowShifts, Ranchos.
ASPEN GREEN (Jolly Green Giant) Grey Cloth Interior, WeatherTech Mats.
'89 SeaRay 220CC 325HP Mercruiser Alpha, Full Camper Canvas, 11' Achilles 8HP Merc.
'14 Jayco Eagle Premier 338RETS TT, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy P3, TST 507RV TPMS, 61'.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxWhy View Post

We think she has a couple more years in her yet! The drivetrain in this truck has worked flawlessly since the day we got it! To this day it runs and drives perfect, the rust is just eating away at her. We are looking for a new trucks but the new stuff is such junk. Either you have to own a bank to keep gas in the tank or you have to own a parts warehouse to keep a diesel running. Plus we see trucks of the new generation rustier than this one which makes us think either the new metal is just to thin or cheap or ford just doesn't care to paint anything any more, but they want $50K+ for a truck now.

Already quite a difference in quality from this 1995 pictured above to our 1986 that has 450K miles on her driven in the same conditions below.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Postmaster

Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.
Gonna have to disagree there. 80's rust proofing was junk. My ranger's body is just about gone. My neighbor's 86 F-150 doesn't even have a passenger side floor anymore. Every mid 80s F-Series I see in the junkyard is just about rotted away.

I'd say yours is the exception, definitely not the norm. Looks like the underneath of that truck has been oil coated too, a little oil on the undercarriage will go a long way to preventing rot.

My buddy has a '96 F-250, another has a 97 F-350, and they both still have beautiful bodies - from an area of the country where some are considering a class action lawsuit against against the state governments for over-salting the roads.

1987 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 2.9

Needs a lot of work, including some rot on the body, but shes getting there.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Posting Guru

fordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud offordboy67 has much to be proud of
LOVE the 86, any chance you want to sell it
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Posting Guru

jasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to beholdjasonodsky is a splendid one to behold
So the difference between the 95 and the 86 is that you sprayed the underside of the 86 with waste oil to protect it from the salt monster right? I just treated my hitch and it looks 10X better. I need to get the undercarriage coated with oil before the snow hits here in WI. I want the oil down before the salt can get under it for another year.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Post Fiend

The 86 was sprayed yes, but so is our 94 and the 94 looks like the 95.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 PM
New User

dog tags is starting off with a positive reputation.
So do you just oil it yourself or do you take it somewhere? I live in Ohio and any given day it goes from 60 degrees to 20! Plus like most states they don't know how to salt!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Posting Guru

Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.Rose Clifford has a great reputation on FTE.
SirJohnStone DiggityDooDanks
treat your truck right

Right after I painted up the bed I found and bought a 2012 bed....it's going on tonight.
I replaced the cross members with 1 5/8" unistrut
John - Rose Clifford - '03 F350 7.3, A/T, Reg Cab, NEW 2012 Long Bed (pics), DP F6 [stock, no start, low idle, hi idle, 40t, 80e, 120r, 140ss] Foil Delete (pics), 6637, Hutch/Harpoon, 6.5" ProComp lift, BFG AT 295/75/16, Warn Manual Lockers, 4" straight pipe, Fumoto, 155k, B100 (summer)
Fixes; Non-Serviceable HPOP Plug, passenger fuel line pop
2011 VW Jetta TDI - Daily Driver
Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 AM