Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Tinman's '51 Cabover lowbuck build

Hey all, thought I would start a build thread for my COE project......

So I bought this old '51 coe cab thinking I could build a car hauler.....maybe even a crew cab with a roll back bed! Sounds great, right? Problem is, I have very little extra money or time.....so this is going to be extremely lowbuck.

I picked up an '89 chevy 1 ton truck (no motor or trans) at an auction for $200 and then sold all of the body parts for $200. So I'm into the chassis for dirt cheap.
I already have the 16' steel flatbed laying around, so.....

Original idea was to put the engine behind the cab, but I'm now looking at putting it up front if I can make it fit. Also the crew cab has morphed into an extended cab because I don't want to stretch the frame.

I have set the cab on the frame for mock-up.....I can't get this behemoth into the shop yet, and it's getting a little chilly to work outside. Oh well, I can daydream....here's a few pics. Feel free to comment......

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice cab! Ok tinman...a little lower in the front....ok...a little bit more....lower...lower!
I really like these cabover jobs! I can't deny that I really like the tastefully lowered rides! I watch "Storage Wars" alot! and this guy, Barry Wiess has this '40 Ford COE 1940 Ford COE - Classic Trucks
Pretty cool!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Senior User

HEAVY100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would love to take on a COE project but they are really pricey to restore .
Old 12-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looks good on there! so far. what engine are you going to squeeze in up front there?

the 51 F5 COE I sold to the guy that built both of these. they are both incredible rides.
this gmc COE Rollback looked awesome hauling the F5 COE home!

I will be watching, now that I don't have the 51 or 52 COE anymore someday will work on the 38 though.

Hope you don't mind some other truck pictures I had saved of trucks and ideas I liked.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:12 AM
FTE fan

underthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud of
If it can be done, you can do it, If it can be done on a budjet, you can do that. But if you want to stay warm, ya better move it into the shop. Best of luck, it will be fun for you to do , and fun for us to follow your build. May the bolts come off with ease, and the shop keep you warm during a freeze.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Elder User

lexcoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heck its a COE, subscribed. John
Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle View Post
Nice cab! Ok tinman...a little lower in the front....ok...a little bit more....lower...lower!
Jeff, the front will come down 3-4 inches with engine/ trans etc installed. I don't want it too low though, it will be used as a truck. No fancy paint or chrome.....OK, maybe a little chrome.

Josh, those trucks are beautiful......wish I had the time and $$$ to go that far.

Hopefully I can get the cab into the shop and start cutting.....
I would love to run a big block engine like an FE or 429-460.....but space may dictate otherwise.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:57 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I'm shocked how little room there is for the engine! The firewall really restricts you, it seems? An LSx truck engine seems like the natural choice for your frame and the low profile would help with clearance.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Posting Legend

preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
I LOVE budget builds! I grew up poor, and the "budget" mentality kinda stuck with me over the years. These builds are not only full of ingenuity, patience and creativeness, but lots of blood sweat and tears.

Hats off to you man, and I cant wait to see updates, even though im not a COE fan

A good fist fight never hurts anyone... except my opponent.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman52 View Post
Josh, those trucks are beautiful......wish I had the time and $$$ to go that far.

ME TOO!

Hopefully I can get the cab into the shop and start cutting.....
I would love to run a big block engine like an FE or 429-460.....but space may dictate otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I'm shocked how little room there is for the engine! The firewall really restricts you, it seems? An LSx truck engine seems like the natural choice for your frame and the low profile would help with clearance.
The center portion of those firewalls is just screwed on and removable but there really isn't much of a hump in the cab on these models, Maybe if the engine has to sit farther back to clear your front suspension you can build up or make a custom hump/doghouse in the cab ? if need be? Not sure how low you can set an engine in those frame rails??

Jeff, How's this for LOW?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...rod-truck.html
Old 12-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Welder User

Well, I moved one of my old parts cabs in for some de-construction....I will use the door skins and the rear window opening....maybe part of the roof for the coe. All usable parts were removed, and the rest is scrap. This old cab was really rough.....

Some must die so others may live..........
Old 12-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Elder User

HILLBILLY BOB has a good reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a good reputation on FTE.
I really like that red coe pick up
Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Posting Guru

arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.
thats going to look cool TINMAN !!!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadsen View Post
Yeah Josh! that what I'm talkin' 'bout!
That is cool looking, i wonder how that is to drive? I have seen it before on here, but forgot about it!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Senior User

59JEEPSTANG is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like that motorhome. Brother in law has an old Avion, wonder if he will miss it....

Paul
1996 F250 Powerstroke
And my Jeeps....
Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 PM