1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tinman's '51 Cabover lowbuck build

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just went by kalispell wrecking by smith's in town...the guy says he has two zf5's at the lot. one for sure is a 4x4 i know...not sure about the other. might be worth a phone call. might wanna consider a t19 perhaps? i know there's a few of those around the junkyards in kalispell as well. might not be exactly what you've planned for, but they're bulletproof, and pretty small so it should work well for your application...assuming the gearing in the rear is cooperative.
did u say you have a 300 already? there's plenty of those to be had as well if not. hell i picked up some parts to get me on a good start today. bellhousing, close ratio t19 w/ TC adapter and all mounting hardware.
let me know when u start building your 300. maybe we can collaborate? i have some spare parts here at the house you might wanna use as well.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm looking for a 460 4x4 bell pattern ZF5 speed.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
just went by kalispell wrecking by smith's in town...the guy says he has two zf5's at the lot. one for sure is a 4x4 i know...not sure about the other. might be worth a phone call. might wanna consider a t19 perhaps? i know there's a few of those around the junkyards in kalispell as well. might not be exactly what you've planned for, but they're bulletproof, and pretty small so it should work well for your application...assuming the gearing in the rear is cooperative.
did u say you have a 300 already? there's plenty of those to be had as well if not. hell i picked up some parts to get me on a good start today. bellhousing, close ratio t19 w/ TC adapter and all mounting hardware.
let me know when u start building your 300. maybe we can collaborate? i have some spare parts here at the house you might wanna use as well.
So I assume you live here locally? We should get together sometime.

I picked up a '77 F100 parts truck with a 300/NP 4 speed in nice shape. Will transfer the whole setup to the COE. May add aux trans if I can find one.....Or change the rear gears.

Havi, will keep an eye out for one...

Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Originalchick
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'm shocked how little room there is for the engine! The firewall really restricts you, it seems? An LSx truck engine seems like the natural choice for your frame and the low profile would help with clearance.
Do you think I will fit a small block Ford V8 in there Ross??

Old 03-15-2013, 08:37 PM
tinman52
Welder User

I considered using a 302 and C4 in mine, but the front sump oil pan kind of interferes with the crossmember....sets the engine too high or far back. Rear sump pan is better, but still ...
Depends on which chassis you are using I guess....

Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Originalchick
Junior User
Ahh don't say that to me Scott! Lol, that's what doing my head in! Lol. I thought I'd take a break from chassis talk and ponder engines... But alas it seems they are all inter-linked, but of course...

Pardon my ignorance... but can u get a rear sump pan for a 302? Can it be modified?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 PM
tinman52
Welder User

There are several sump designs for the small block ford.......front, mid, rear, and combinations depending on the original application.....e.g, Bronco, Crown Vic, 4x4, van, etc,etc.
However, since they have the oil pump at the front of the pan, you will never have a true rear sump.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Originalchick
Junior User
Thanks for the clarification TinMan. Hmmm.... So is it possible to allow for some room for it in the bell housing?

Old 03-16-2013, 12:42 AM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Hey Scott
That truck looks like it coming along nicely. I will have to give you a call again next time I'm down. Might not be for a bit though cause I just spent my truck part fund on an old Harley. It was an impulse buy but it was my late father in laws so its kind of special to me. Its been sitting for 10 or 12 years so it will need to be taken apart and put back together with some new parts but at the moment its literally buried in stuff in the back corner of the garage so unless we bust out the back wall its going to stay covered until summer. And the truck is first on the rebuild list before the bike anyways. Say, do you have anything to do with the car show at Foyer Lake in July. I think we are going to make it down for that this year.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Originally Posted by Holehawgg
Hey Scott
That truck looks like it coming along nicely. I will have to give you a call again next time I'm down. Might not be for a bit though cause I just spent my truck part fund on an old Harley. It was an impulse buy but it was my late father in laws so its kind of special to me. Its been sitting for 10 or 12 years so it will need to be taken apart and put back together with some new parts but at the moment its literally buried in stuff in the back corner of the garage so unless we bust out the back wall its going to stay covered until summer. And the truck is first on the rebuild list before the bike anyways. Say, do you have anything to do with the car show at Foyer Lake in July. I think we are going to make it down for that this year.
Hi Remi,
You will look good on a Harley....
Stay focused on that '49 though, I expect to see it on the road soon...

If you mean the glacier rod run (based at Foy's Lake?) in July, no I am not a part of that club. We usually go on the poker run/ garage tour on the Friday though. They have a car show/parade down town on the Saturday also.
Give me a call anytime you are down this way!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Thought I should update this thread since I have started working on this again..........
I finally got the behemoth into the shop for the winter. Will be adding the dash, and working on steering, pedals, motor mounts, etc.

Plans have changed for this truck, I have abandoned the car hauler idea and will be shortening the WB a couple feet and adding a script flatbed.

Couple pics for proof.....

Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2013, 11:53 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
You may have said before, Scott, and I forgot, but what chassis are you using? It looks like it'll work out well.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:32 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I was wondering just the other day, what had happened to this project. Its good to hear its going to get some winter tlc. I love watching you work.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:18 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
You may have said before, Scott, and I forgot, but what chassis are you using? It looks like it'll work out well.
Wayne, it's an '89 chevy......I kinda wish now I had something different (a motorhome chassis would work muck better). Too late to change now, it will work with some mods....

Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scott,
I'm kind of behind on your build so bear with me but That sectioned dash doesn't look like the COE ones I remember. What is it from if not a COE?

I'd love to do a COE but they look like sooo much work and I am soo lazy, hehe. Yet you make it look easy.

Quick Reply: Tinman's '51 Cabover lowbuck build