1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just got my '49 F4

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Marinespt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my '49 F4

I'm stoked! It's in amazing shape.... Looks like it just needs an engine rebuild and it can hit the road!

I was considering putting a newer diesel in the truck.. Any suggestions? It currently has the flat 6... So far it looks ok(not cracked). I want to use this truck as. Daily driver and don't mind a bit of customizing done to it..

Thanks in advance... And it seems I'll be spending. Lot of time on here.

Guess I need to read up on how to post a photo here.

D

Old 12-15-2011, 07:39 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Marinespt
I'm stoked! It's in amazing shape.... Looks like it just needs an engine rebuild and it can hit the road!

I was considering putting a newer diesel in the truck.. Any suggestions? It currently has the flat 6... So far it looks ok(not cracked). I want to use this truck as. Daily driver and don't mind a bit of customizing done to it..

Thanks in advance... And it seems I'll be spending. Lot of time on here.

Guess I need to read up on how to post a photo here.

D
Glad you found an F-4 that's in great shape. So often the bigger models are found after having been beat to death then disgarded. Or robbed of critical parts to put a half ton back together.

The flat 226 six is said to be a strong engine in these trucks. As much or more torque than the V8, and bullet proof. If it was me I'd rebuild it and call it done. But putting in a diesel has been done. One of our members used a Benz engine, IIRC, in a 53-56 era truck. I'm coming up dry on the member's user name.

Wheels - maybe you've already read all that's been said about the wheels on the F-4/5/6s, but if not you'll want to do a Google search about them. I don't think you have enough postings to use the FTE search function. The 18" and 20" wheels supplied on these trucks have an outer rim design that has a trade name "Firestone RH-5°". Today the common name for them is "widow maker". You'll want to find replacements, especially if you intend to use the truck as a daily driver. Good replacement options do exist. Stu

Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Marinespt
New User
I'll look into rebuilding the flat 6. It will definitely be more cost effective.

I've heard of the widow maker rims... I'll have to figure out how to tell if they are or not. My rims look fairly new.

Thanks for the insight!

D

Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 AM
ar1five
New User
Nice find, lets see some pictures

Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
If they are 18", they are widow makers. If 20", they might have been swapped at some time in the truck's past for the "locking ring" style. Here are pictures of the widow maker to help you tell. Stu

Old 12-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I'll add my welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for answers and suggestions. Lots of knowledgeable folks on here (present company excluded) who are always willing to help. I look forward to seeing pics.

On the 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks forum home page, go to Read First: 48/60 Forum Tips, Tricks, How To's! and select HOW TO POST PICTURES

Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Welcome! Great to hear about you being the caretaker of an F-4. I have a 48 F-3 with the same engine.

What part of the country are you from? You might put that in your profile as fellow FTE members in your area might be able to help out or provide a part or two.

I'll add my request for pics. Would like to see what your truck looks like.

Rob

Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll second the term *BULLETPROOF* when it comes to the 226! From the factory they are rated at having 5hp less than the same year V8 if I remember right, and definitely more torque. They are a spunky little torqey motor - full of **** and vinegar.
I love mine - it will never sound like a V8, so if you want that load roar you are outta luck there, but a nice purr and growl they got.
My advice - DRIVE IT, do not tear it apart. This forum is littered with dozen of guys 80% of the way through a frame off rebuild who will take years to get it back together. Ask all you want, and if you have 226 questions feel free to ask me cause I drive one all the time - took it to work today. I myself spent 8 years without it and I regret every day of it. Start enjoying your truck now - you can always buy a fender, get it straightened up, shoot it and then swap on a weekend... tearing it down to the frame and you will have lots of "life issues" get in the way that just eat up your will.

Macs Antique Auto, Classic Haulers, Obsolete Ford Parts, Sacramento Ford, there are dozens of dozens of places that sell parts. I believe Macs has a free shipping right now on $150 or higher orders (coupon code FREEDEC) now through the 20th (be sure to order before 8p eastern cause their computer shuts the sale off long before midnight) and I am pretty sure Macs has a 226 gasket kit, and some rebuild stuff... if it don't smoke like he** then don't tear it down - drive it.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Marinespt
New User
Ill definitely add Albuquerque ,NM to my profile.

I wonder if the transmission can handle the highway at 65mph??

This is definitely going to be a marathon and not a sprint

Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Marinespt
New User
Great advice Brian! That's what I plan to do... Drive it. No frame off resto here. It's actually not neede... This truck is in great shape. I'm going to start on the motor and trans first... Then brakes... Get it running, then do all the cosmetic stuff over time... While I drive it

Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Your transmission will handle higher speeds - it's the rear end that will be screaming lol

I have a 50 F4 that I'm in the middle of mounting a snow plow to it. Also has the 226 six and I'm looking forward to hearing it run.

Good luck and have fun with your truck!
Tim

Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Is your truck from the Southwest? You guys are very lucky out there compared to us in the rust belt. My truck is very solid supposedly from CA originally.

Good to have you aboard. Looking forward to talking about the flat six with you guys.

Rob

Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Marinespt
New User
Guess I'll need to see if I can change the rear end ratio... Good times.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be pretty careful changing out the ratios, you can overdo it and end up where I am (hunting for a tranny swap now after doing a rear end swap). The 57-72 Ford F series truck 9" is a direct swap in the F1, I suggest getting the newer self adjusting brake style. BUT - pay more attention to the ratios you get (I screwed up and got a 3.00 with a crash box - learn from my mistake)... You want at least 10.5:1 1st gear ratio to keep clutch abuse down. A lot of guys go with the 3.50 and if I had it to do over again that is exactly where I would be to stick with the crash box.

What transmission do you have? - all the gear ratios can be found here (as well as my stolen pictures of mtflat's adventures.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-progress.html
(post #5)

Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
If you go with an overdrive transmission you'll improve road speed. Finding one of the o/d 5 speeds that were available on the bigger trucks might be a task. Short of that, since we're talking about an F-4, changing axle final drive ratios isn't a simple matter. The F-4's split case Timken axle had 5.14/1 or 5.83/1 optional ratios. Like all the bigger models it has the 5 lug x 8" pattern hubs that need to be retained to maintain a match with the front hubs. No taller replacement ring/pinion sets have been found for them to my understanding.

If driving highway speeds is needed you'll find yourself looking at replacement rear axle options. The most commonly discussed option is the rear axle from a '70s era Dodge/Ford based motor home. Not sure if they are Eaton or Dana 70 axles, I've read of them described both ways. This would yield a final drive ratio probably in the 4.56/1 range which, when teamed with the 8R19.5" tires, would work for highway travel. After all, this worked for the old motor homes. Possible down sides here would be a wider rear track than the stock Timken, and need to deal with the parking brake at the wheels rather than at the transmission. Stu

Quick Reply: Just got my '49 F4