Sponsored by: Moser

Electric Fan cooling down my 77?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Racerdave
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I was just reading an article about installing an electric fan (not aftermarket) in an older mustang with a 302, the results are here~
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...an/index.shtml

I was wondering if I could do the same on my 77 302 in my truck? I want to do this because heat kills engines and heat also sucks more gas.... The article says that there was a gain of 1-2mpg on the freeway and it keeps the engine much cooler. Also it is not one of thoes expensive aftermarket fans. It is a fan out of a 3.8 V6 Ford Taurus it pulls aprox 2000cfm of air. Parts and cost are:

Fan 3.8L Taurus $25
Imperial Controller PN: 3647 $36
Imperial Mount Kit PN: 226201 $6
Bosch 150amp Relay PN: 0 332 002 156 $30
Free-wheeling Diode PN: 1N5408 $5

but I was not sure what all I would need for the job since I have a 77... Would anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking that maybe somone made somthing like a temp. switch, something when it gets hot it turns on and when cools down it turns off?

Also, Would my alternator be able to handle that size fan?

Are there other alternatives to a cooler engine (besides a bigger radiator) because I already have an over-sized radiator...

Old 05-07-2003, 08:27 AM
73Custom
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have an over heating problem? Your engine should be running about 190-210 deg.

If the fan cools a built 302 in a car, it should cool your stock 302. Do you do much towing, stop and go traffic? These will require more cooling.

As far as the electric draw, find out how much the fan takes, then you will have to get that much bigger of an alternator.

It might be better to get a clutch fan. Less drag on the engine and doesn't use electricity. Plus they can be found on '73-'79 pickups...

Marty

Old 05-08-2003, 02:01 AM
Racerdave
Elder User

No over heating problems.... Dont tow anything and I havent recently been stuck in traffic.... Clutch fans also cause drag on the engine and dont cool as well as the electric fan, plus I would get a little better mileage out of an electric fan...... And I like the look of just pullys... and wont haveto worry about geting my finger choped off when I am working under the hood.....

Last edited by Racerdave; 05-08-2003 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:25 AM
73Custom
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give it a try, let us know how you like it and what it took to get it to work. Then we can decide if we want to copy you...

The thermostatic switch you're looking for should be at any parts store or check Summit and Jegs.

Marty

Old 05-08-2003, 05:05 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally posted by Racerdave
No over heating problems.... Dont tow anything and I havent recently been stuck in traffic.... Clutch fans also cause drag on the engine and dont cool as well as the electric fan, plus I would get a little better mileage out of an electric fan...... And I like the look of just pullys... and wont haveto worry about geting my finger choped off when I am working under the hood.....
Racer- If it ain't broke don't fix it...

Electrical fans cause drag on the engine also, they just apply it thru the ineficiencies of the alternator. You won't notice any milage differences. They don't cool any better than a clutch fan. Turn your engine off and you won't need to worry about the fan chopping your fingers. Depending on how they are wired an electric fan CAN start suddenly and chop fingers. Heat actually helps engines which is why OEM's keep going to higher temp thermostats as material changes allow it. Electric fans came into favor to cool itty bitty sidewinder engines. They have some advantages if a computer controls them.

Old 05-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Racerdave
Elder User

If electric fans arent all that great, the why do most or all new trucks and cars have them? Did you read the link I posted? There was a 1-2 mpg gain.... Also I know I would need to upgrade my alternator, then there would be enough current flowing so there is no drag.... And I am not fixing somthing that is not broken, I am makeing it better...... Just like if you were to upgrade your carb... ir ignition... or upgrade small parts on your engine... Also... I thought that radiant heat kills engines, the fan helps keep radiant heat in the engine compartment to a lower temp so it does not damage the engine? I thought I would atleast get a little suport for this project... but I guess you disagree with it? I duno... If I have the extra cash at hand why not? I meen I cant think of anything else to spend it on? Unless somone has a beter idea?

Old 05-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

>If electric fans arent all that great, the why do most or all new trucks and cars have them?

Sidewinders have to have them, There are benefits when the fan is controlled by the engine management computer, but not by just a temp switch.

>Did you read the link I posted? There was a 1-2 mpg gain....

Sorry but the 1-2mpg gain was probably closely related to the type of wishfull thinking that occurs when a tornado unit or magnets on the fuel line are installed.

>Also I know I would need to upgrade my alternator, then there would be enough current flowing so there is no drag....

Did you not take Physics??? It takes POWER to produce electric current to run the fan. Power that must come from the engine, that is converted from rotary motion transmitted thru a slipping drive belt, to a marginally efficient alternator, then converted to DC thru diodes, then transmitted by imperfect wires, thru switch contacts, to another marginally efficient motor, where it is turned back into rotary motion. Sounds like a complicated process compared to the mech fan.

>And I am not fixing somthing that is not broken, I am makeing it better......

Actually you will be making things more complicated and not any better...

>Just like if you were to upgrade your carb... ir ignition... or upgrade small parts on your engine... Also...

Upgrade when it makes sense. This doesn't

>I thought that radiant heat kills engines, the fan helps keep radiant heat in the engine compartment to a lower temp so it does not damage the engine?

Radiant heat kills engines... Where does this come from? Again did you sleep thru Physics class? A fan will help lower engine compartment air temps but then the clutch fan is probably better for this than the electric.

>I thought I would atleast get a little suport for this project... but I guess you disagree with it? I duno... If I have the extra cash at hand why not? I meen I cant think of anything else to spend it on?

Get your basic engine running right b4 you attempt any modifications.