Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Senior User

kailor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Will a Loose Nut on Rear Wiper Blade Prevent Arm Movement?

The other day my rear wiper stopped working. I removed the 14mm nut that holds the blade arm onto the motor shaft. Before removing the nut, I realized that it was not even finger-tight. In fact it was very loose. Would this nut being loose cause the wiper to quit moving? Also, with the blade arm removed, the rear wiper control on the multi-function stalk still works. When on, the motor shaft will still turn.

The splines on the shaft of the motor appear to be completely stripped (I looked at a new motor at the parts store and it's shaft appeared to have very small (fine) splines on it). I also looked at a replacement arm sold by the parts store and it did not appear to have any splines inside the shaft hole, but looked perfectly smooth inside. This baffled me. Do I need a new rear wiper motor?
Michelin LTX M/S2
180K miles, Draw-Tite Class IV
Old 12-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Posting Guru

alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Did you try putting it all back together and tightening the nut? Could also be that without the load of the wiper the shaft does move, but it doesn't have the strength to move when the arm is on.
1995 Bronco XLT, 1996 Explorer XLT, 1999 Expedition EB, 2003 Expedition EB, 2004 Expedition EB Premium
Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Senior User

Thanks alwaysfords41. I will put the arm back on and secure the nut this afternoon and see if that will resolve the issue. However, seeing those stripped splines made me wonder.

Long story short: I had a fellow (less fortunate individual) detail the vehicle from head to toe and when he closed the rear glass, he pinched the wiper blade and subsequently cleaned the dash and stalks and inadvertently turned on, and left on, the rear wiper. I heard a noise after the second outing in my clean car. That's how I discovered this issue. I do not fault the man. $80 bucks for the entire job was well worth it to me. There went my savings...........
Michelin LTX M/S2
Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Posting Guru

did you edit the original post about the splines or did I completely miss that part the first time around???

Sounds to me like it is stripped, but worth a try to tighten it down. Maybe there is enough spline left when it is seated all the way down. Or maybe you can get enough crush on the broken splines to still drive the motor. As a last resort if tightening doesn't work, try adding a little bit of shim stock or whatever to the interface between the motor and the arm. Even something like foil may work, just a little extra interference.
1995 Bronco XLT, 1996 Explorer XLT, 1999 Expedition EB, 2003 Expedition EB, 2004 Expedition EB Premium
Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Senior User

Yes, edited. Thanks and I'll give it a try.
Michelin LTX M/S2
Old 12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Senior User

I tightened the 14mm nut down very secure and the rear wiper is working fine for now.
Michelin LTX M/S2
Old 12-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Posting Guru

Good fix!! The best kind.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
200, 2004, arm, blades, escape, expedition, f150, ford, loose, motor, nut, rear, size, windshield, wiper, wipers