1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

crankshaft position sensor - 02 E250 5.4

Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM
puntadigital
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crankshaft position sensor - 02 E250 5.4

hi there

Simple question here : just need to know where to look for the crankshaft position sensor. Where's it located on the engine bay ?

I'm having someone to change plugs and coils tomorrow, he should know where it is but not sure if I'm gonna be able to get the part in time, so if i don't he won't be able to change it and I'll have to do it myself.

Have CEL on and it has flashed several times in the last month or so, I'm selling my biz and the van goes with it, so i want to do the right thing and give a vehicle in good running condition, Coils and plugs where changed 3 years ago, maybe 20K miles in total. I have a Miss on #7 that's why I'm changing them all. Already replaced DPFE sensor last week, runs better but still idles rough.

Any suggestion would be appreciated
thanks a lot

Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 PM
puntadigital
New User
well, I found it, is at the bottom of the block on the passenger side.
problem is it's a b**ch to remove the nut, really tight down there, but once you manage to remove it you cannot pull out the sensor, it hits a pulley, no idea if it't the compressor or what, way to dark and cold out here tonight

I noticed if had a lot of liquid (water, oil, not sure) so that might be way it's messing my driving. Hope the cause of the liquid there is not worse than what this is.

Any advice will be appreciated
thanks folks

Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 PM
puntadigital
New User
Anybody ? I've done a lot with the knowledge I have but this goes a little further than what I'm willing to do. On top of that I have to deliver the van by Thursday/Friday to the new owner of my business, so time is kinda tight.

thanks a lot

Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
ok, it sounds like you'll have to remove the pulley thats in the way if it bolts onto the accessory it mounts to, otherwise you'll have to dismount the accessory.
the liquid on there needs to be identified, as it may be a sign of another problem you don't know about. or maybe you want to tell the new owner that you believe that sensor to be having issues but you didn't have time to get to it. where i come from, thats just as honest/doing the right thing as having it fixed beforehand. its only the guys who hide problems who i count as dishonest.
possibly it just needs to be cleaned so it can get an accurate reading again

Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 PM
puntadigital
New User
Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow, but I've never removed a pulley before on any engine.
How should I tension the belt back again ? does the belt stretch a bit to make it fit over the pulley by myself ?

Thanks for the help

Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
all belts have some form of tensioner, and yours should be in the form of a spring that holds one of the idler pulleys tight. pull firmly on the belt and watch which one of the idler pulleys moves, and what direction it moves, then look for how to attach a wrench to it to slack the belt and remove it. some have a square hole to fit a ratchet, others need a wrench or socket.
as for the pulley itself, not all of them are removeable, those that are usually have 3 or 4 bolts holding them to a hub. if yours doesn't you'll need to remove the whole accessory (AC pump or whatever it is)

Old 12-19-2011, 06:44 PM
puntadigital
New User
we (the mechanic) were able to replace the sensor, now after driving it a few times the light came up again, but I deleted the codes and it has been a while and the CEL still off, hope it stays that way. Thanks for all the advice !