Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Senior User

seville009 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dex Cool Antifreeze

Have a 2011 F-350 with the 6.2l gas. Was checking the engine the other day and noticed the radiator coolant resevoir was completely empty.

Stopped by the closest store that carried antifreeze (True Value) and picked up some Dex Cool 50/50 coolant and dumped it in.

Read up on it afterwards and, from what I saw, it seemed that using the Dex Cool was a mistate (Ford manual calls for a specific orange colored one).

Took it to a Valvoline place today to have the Dex sucked out and the correct coolant put in. They didn't the specs for the 2011's have it in their system yet, but evidently did some calling around to their higher ups. The end result is that they said that the Dex Cool is the equivalent of what Ford specs call for and that it was okay to leave it in.

Just wanted to pass that along, and also wanted to find out if anyone has any other insight into this.

Can plain old yellow Prestone anti-freeze be mixed with Dex Cool if necessary (the Prestone just says that it can be mixed with any color of antifreeze)?

Aargh...why can't something like buying coolant be a simple anymore........
Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 6.2L V8 forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Senior User

1973Ford2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2011? I'd be stopping at a Ford garage for warranty?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Senior User

seville009 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it had caused a problem, it wouldn't be covered under the warranty since I'm the one that put it in. Plus, I'd have to make an appt, which would take a week. The Valvoline place is just down the road.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Freshman User

stutzismydog is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with you seville "Aargh...why can't something like buying coolant be a simple anymore........" I would bet that Ford is not manufacturing their coolant or oil, transmission fluid or any of there proprietary advertised additives. I would like to know who makes it for them and the thought that a warranty might be in jeopardy should an excuse come up for Ford to deny a claim is the reason why people hire an attorney to fight this overbearing attitude by Ford to only use their products.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8

Tags
2005, anti, antifreeze, bronco, cool, dex, dexcool, dextron, econoline, f150, f450, ford, freeze, put, yellow