1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage
View Poll Results: Do you work on your own truck?
I do everything! No one else touches it.
31.91%
I do regular maintenance but leave the harder things for someone else.
53.19%
I get someone else to do it all. It's easier that way.
8.51%
Work on my truck? Why would it need that?
6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How much work do you do on your own truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wondering how much work everyone here does on their own trucks and why.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do as much as I have tools and time for. I really dislike taking it to someone unless I trust them. Since I do not know or trust the local dealer, they will not see my truck if I can avoid it. One of the local garages is really good and I can go and talk to them. They are pretty good with the info and willingness to work with me. Seems like most dealers caters to those who are clueless.

++Not that good people don't work at dealers. They do, but can be hard to find sometimes.

I'd take my truck to Racerguy any day.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:07 PM
03f150man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldnt tackle an internal engine/tranny repair job without help but everything else is fair game. Saving money is nice but not the motivating factor; i like knowing the job is done to my satisfaction and most of all i enjoy working on vehicles.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:37 PM
03f150man
Elder User

ultramagdan, good point. New car service depts seem to seek those with money and no car knowledge. I expect service prices to be higher at (lets say) the Ford house and i accept that because i know Ford service personnel are fully trained on fords, they have all the tools to work on fords, they have full access to ford repair parts and they are (ought to be) the best at diagnosing ford problems. Far as i know ford service/parts dept personnel meet that high standard. Yet the retail prices are very high. From my perspective, mainstream ford customers wont seek out ford service dept for repair/maintenace help until the dealer owners decide to change their business strategy i.e. should they charge full retail to a gullible, monied people, or alternatively move to a lower price strategy that encourages customers to quit frequenting the hit and miss, ill trained and thinly capitalized corner repair stores. My 144k f150 nearly needs upper/lower control arm work and i dont have the tools to do it. I am most confident with ford service doing the work but i am not seriously considering ford due to the cost. just my 2 cents.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:59 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster

I'm a hands on, mechanically inclined kind of guy.

I can't justify spending $65 an hour so a service rep can blow smoke up my WAZZU. I can justify spending the money on parts I trust and my own common sense. If I don't have the tool to fix something, I'll buy it (unless it's as much as the truck), or invent a fix myself. I chalk it up as a learning experience and I'm greatful to have you people to help me out when I need it.

Just as a side note: There's nothing like bailing wire and duct tape to get you to the parts house!

-Kerry

Old 04-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot

03f150man you bring up some good points. At the dealership that I work at we have a "Fast Lane" quickie lube type place in the other side of the shop. They are geared towards people that would normally take their vehicles to Canadian Tire or I guess JiffyLube (if we had that here). The shop rate is $20 less than in the main shop. They mainly do jobs that take under 2 hours to finish.....oil changes, brakes, steering, tires, basic tuneups etc.
People can still get their oil changed in the main shop for the same price as in Fast Lane even though we lose money on every oil change we do in the main shop. it's just a perception thing. Some people figure that they can get a better job done in the main shop even though it's just an oil change.
It seems that dealerhips are fiinally figuring out that they have to compete with the national Jiffy type chains and are starting to do so more. In Canada, Canadian Tire is probably the best known Jiffy type place and out dealership has sure cut into their sales with our Fast Lane. It's realy amazing how many non-Fords we get in Fast Lane too. Lots of Dodges especially.
And ultramagdan that was some pretty good brown nosing there

Old 04-16-2003, 05:02 PM
Eazy
Freshman User

I do everything myself, If it gets over my head, I have 3 friends who are long time mechanics. I call them in, but still get as involved as possible. I like to learn as much as much as I can about my vehicles.

Old 04-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Poll: How much work do you do on your own truck?

Originally posted by Racerguy
And ultramagdan that was some pretty good brown nosing there
I don't know what you mean Dave. Lol

Old 04-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot

Old 04-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no one touchs my baby

Old 04-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We took our jeep into the dealer because the seal on the front of the transfer case was pushing out and I wanted them to replace it. Two ours later, my fuel injectors had been cleaned, oil changed, rear differential had new oil and cover, complete lube and inspection, tires had been rotated and rebalanced, and the transfer case seal had been cut off so it looked like they changed it. Total cost $164, for a scheduled free oil change, I was so mad. Now I am waiting for the seal to fail so they can buy me a new transfer case. I still have 60,000 miles and 6 years left on the warranty. I don't take any of my other vehicles to any kind of dealerships or Mart-Wal type oil and lube shops because when I get the deluxe oil change I WANT you to put the bolts back in, and not get a bill for $164.

Old 04-23-2003, 05:47 PM
welderboy
New User
Lightbulb Poll: How much work do you do on your own truck?

Im interested in learning. I want to do all the work on my truck eventually. I think sites like this and guys like Racerguy might just help me get there.
Go Canucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2003, 07:19 AM
drag79stang
Freshman User

I do absolutely EVERYTHING on my truck...........because I can!

Old 04-24-2003, 02:18 PM
z 97ford1
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I do as much as I have time to do....which isn't much other than normal maintenance. I think it is better to let the experts work on them simply because they do have specfic training where you and I probably do not.
At least at a dealership you get a guarantee.