Ranchero crew cab?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Skipstowin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranchero crew cab?

I have heard of 2 of these (both 57 Rancheros) in existence. One is owned by a drag racing gospel singer who uses it to tow his dragster to the track. Came accross his website doing a search on Rancheros.

Anyway, these are homemade using a 4 door wagon, cutting it off behind the doors and grafting a Ranchero bed on. (I 'm assuming this is how it's done having never actually seen one.)

Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Any ideas on how to do one? Could the frame be stretched or should I look for a longer wheelbase frame, like a 73-79 super cab? (A Ranchero 4x4 would be way cool here in Colorado.)

I'm very intrigued with doing a 59...I have a line on good donor Ranchero for the bed and think I can find a wagon.

I wish I could post this on a more visited forum but I'll start here.

Your ideas and comments would be appreciated.

Skip

Old 11-16-2003, 03:54 PM
calgearhead
Junior User
Lightbulb Ranchero Crewcab

I have seen one before floating around SoCal, ONCE. Unfortunately, it was turning down a street so I could not follow, but did see the 4 doors on it and that it was REALLY long and narrow with the original bed. I personally would use a 4 door wagon and just cut the top off behind the back doors and use the upper B pillars and back glass from the Ranchero. There was an artists rendering of a chebby crewcab Hel Camino in a past issue of Classic Trucks (?), unfortunately I don't have the issue at hand but it was drawn as I mention above and the REAL deal is in O.C. somewhere. Hope I gave you some help before you started/ gave up on it.

Old 11-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Skipstowin
Senior User
Calgearhead,

I'm using a 4 door station wagon as you suggest and the Ranchero bed and rear window. I have a scaled sketch and it does appear "stretched" but it looks no stranger than say an F350 crew cab (lots of wheelbase!)

Skip

Old 11-17-2003, 11:11 PM
calgearhead
Junior User
True, but you have to look at the fact that the Ranchero is "narrower" than a pick up. If you took about 1 foot to 1.5 feet out of the bed, it would not be so "hot dogish" (long and narrow); thats what I noticed about the one I saw. Whether you take that out of the front or both ends of the bed (I'd take it out of the front due to the "long bed" affect ), but then again I think a crewcab long bed is unproportioned. I have a 1960 Crewcab that is a shortbed and I think it looks better than a long bed (no "sag" inbetween the bed and the cab), but its a personal thing. Nontheless, good luck and I want pictures.

P.S.

I've seen an extended cab 57 ranchero and he just extended into the bed; looked good but could've lengthened the cab alone and used the "full size" bed and still looked good. I have a picture, but will have to find and down load to send to you (no promises).

Old 11-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Skipstowin
Senior User
Interesting observation...the bed on a 59 Ranchero is about 6' or slightly smaller than a full size short bed. Don't think I want to shorten it. I'm pretty happy with the proportions as we drew them up so we'll see how it comes out.

Pics when the shop gets the surgery done. Skip