1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

HELP, HELP,Truck (St. Louis MO) going to the dealer (going to hurt for sure), stop me if you can!!!

Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
Check the harnesses under the valve covers also. Had a2001 that was cutting out was loose connector at valve cover

Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Machmedic, Thanks for the suggestion, I was planning to open up the valve covers in the next few days as it gets warmer and drier. Just pickedup 8 motorcraft GPs on the way home. However, I seriously boubt that I will find the problem there. But, it's worth a try. I unplugged each of the 4 connectors at a time while it was running well, never able to kill the engine. Erwin

Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 PM
6.9lXLTf250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dad has a 7.3l excursion a 2002 and when he had a simmilar problem his camm pos sensor went tout on him. it would cause the truck to run fine at idle nut stall out when driving.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:50 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Erwin, I have made the statement that I would burn my truck down before I took it to a dealer. I mean if they are going to throw parts at it for thousands of dollars (IDM, PCM etc.) then its going to cost more then the truck is worth. I understand if you need the truck, you need the truck. But, its cheaper to rent one then to go to the dealer. I feel your pain. I think these guys have you on the right road, hang in there. I can add that the pins on the under valve cover wiring is hard to see if they are burned. I had to use a magnafine glass to see my burnt pins. At first I thought they were OK and was told in no uncertain terms from this forum to LOOK AGAIN.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 AM
14psd
Senior User
Originally Posted by eyyu
Machmedic, Thanks for the suggestion, I was planning to open up the valve covers in the next few days as it gets warmer and drier. Just pickedup 8 motorcraft GPs on the way home. However, I seriously boubt that I will find the problem there. But, it's worth a try. I unplugged each of the 4 connectors at a time while it was running well, never able to kill the engine. Erwin
Erwin pm me and I will c about getting together with u since i live here near stl mo

Old 12-14-2011, 01:11 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

oldbird1965, thanks for those comforting words! also, from other guys. I'm feeling a lot better now than when I started this thread. I even convinced my wife to let me work on it a little bit more before having to bring it in - I know that she misses me! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Here is the plan for the next few days (when not to cold or raining):<o></o>
1. dive underneath the valve cover to look at all connections, wires, replace PGs while in there. (Enlighten me if you can: Why would a burnt pin or wire in one of the 4 harnesses kill the engine while unplugging one or even two would not? I’ll look very hard under there, but I’m scratching my head. Maybe a short even in one of the harnesses can make the IDM quit all together?)<o></o>
2. Change oil and filter again. The oil in it is two weeks old (Motorcraft 15w40 super duty) with a Fram filter. I’ll replace it with Shell Rotella T with a Motorcraft filter. – rational: the truck ran 3 days w/o any problem after that oil change. Why not try again?<o></o>
2. swap test IDM first then PCM, when they arrive from my new good friend Nate next week.<o></o>

Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 PM
brooksbronco17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if a short occurs that the IDM can shut down that side of the engine so that it doesn't cause itself any damage. Also maybe open the oil fill cap and smell for burnt plastic. If you smell that it's probably a burnt UVCH but can still be on either side of the engine.

When I first read you thread I thought CPS but looks like you ruled it out so I'm throwing my chips on the UVCH's.

Also, I think I wouldn't change the oil again yet cause looks like you used the right stuff.

my .02

Old 12-14-2011, 02:52 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brooksbronco17
Also, I think I wouldn't change the oil again yet cause looks like you used the right stuff.

my .02
^^2X. Save your $60 in oil and filters. As long as you used the rights stuff and it sounds like you did, I don't see how this could be part of the issue as long as the oil level is up to the correct level on the dipstick.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:56 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

1. I also have hight hopes for the UVCH's. I'm going to look very hard once I opened them up.
2. I just can't give up on oil since the last change fixed it so well for so long (3 days). By the way, the old oil that I changed out two weeks ago looks very foamy as it ran out of the pan and into the bucket. I'll drain the oil in the truck into a clean bucket so I can use it later.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Does it seem down on power? And is it chipped?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

No, even when it keeps dying on the highway, it still pulls as hard as ever. Not chipped as far as I know. Never pulled the PCM and looked. Erwin

Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Erwin, I just left you a message. Give me a call when you get a chance. I am tied up tonight from 8:00 to 9:30 or so (Eastern time). Give me a call before that or after. Just not too late, I'm getting old and 5:30 comes pretty early when it is dark 14 hours a day.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:26 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Erwin, when I was stranded in ND with my burnt pins (in the plug, not under the valve cover) it would run great one minute, then run crappy the next minute. This is when the connection would connect even though it was burnt. It was on and off and like Brook said the IDM will shut down that side of the motor. When you pulled the plugs it was probably making a connection at that time so it didn't show you anything.

I got on this forum and could not believe the kindness offered. Guys were willing to send me the repair kit for the plugs, IDM's etc. To tell you the truth, I was shocked. I ended up replaceing the UVC gaskets and away we went.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Glenn, I will look at those pins with magnifying glass and big light. It is still raining here. I moved the truck under the carport so after I take the covers off I can leave it open for couple day. I'll try to run it and observe the injectors. I won't close until I either discover the problem in there or I am convinced that everything is good. Erwin

Old 12-14-2011, 11:44 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

While your in there, if you have the money, I would just replace them anyway. Its good to rule that out in the search to find your problem. I have a new set for both sides under the back seat just in case. They are a common problem with our trucks. Mine have been in now for 100,000 miles now sense I had my problem. Last winter I replaced my GP's and ask on here if I should replace them while I had the VC off and the general reply was to leave them alone if they are OK. I still feel good about having a new set with me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP, HELP,Truck (St. Louis MO) going to the dealer (going to hurt for sure), stop me if you can!!!