1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brake lights...E-Z wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 PM
hwyhogg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake lights...E-Z wiring

Hi all,
Still trying to get the '56 Panel street legal so I can REALLY break in that 460
I have the rear running/park lights and tag lamp working via the headlight switch. I am using a Wilwood proportioning valve with a brake, (pressure), switch. In the EZ harness, there is a fused Brake Switch Power wire that I hooked to one of the prongs on the switch and then I'm supposed to hook up a wire going FROM the switch to the brake lights. The PROBLEM is: The only other wire I find labeled "brake switch" hooks to a another wire labeled "third brake". I'm not using a third brake light and these two wires both terminate to a pointy end that I assume hooks to a GM connector. So the way it is, if I hook that wire FROM the brake switch, then it would only work a third brake light. Anyone familiar with this kit? I will call their tech tomorrow, but would like to finish these connections ASAP. BTW, my headlight switch is the original style light switch and one of the tabs is labeled "stop light", but it is fused for constant power.???? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, brake lights should work all the time, so this should be powered all the time. Power into the switch, lead out to the lights to the other side. Third light is just another lead.

I use a mechanical switch with the EZ wire harness without problem. I removed the third brake wire.

Sam

Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
hwyhogg
Senior User
Thanks for the quick response. I'm still confused...There is a wire labeled "brake switch power" that goes to the fuse box, so I hooked that to the brake switch as my power wire. But your response made me realize I could use the tab on the light switch to power the brake switch and just not use the fuse panel wire. However, shouldn't there be a wire supplied to run from the brake switch all the way to the rear that then splits to a second wire (for left or right side) that hooks to the 2nd wire on the bulb socket. Also, do the left and right turn signal wires get spliced into the rear running light wire? Sorry if I'm making this harder than I need to...geez, thought wiring the ignition circuit was gonna stump me, not lights

Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 PM
polarspeed
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember that I had the brake light switch and brake switch power to the back of the stock master switch. The wires to the tail and brake lights are in the rear vehicle bundle. If it doesn't make sense, then I will have to pull out my notes and diagrams. Let me know. Steve

Old 12-11-2011, 09:41 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

the flasher handles the turn/brake lights along with the signal switch. so there is only ONE wire each to the rear.. left and right turn (and brake)

stoplights power is power TO the switch and stoplights is OUT of the switch (into the flasher and turn switch)

here are the EZWire section listings, book online here http://www.clparts.com/pdfs/ez_wire_wm.pdf

rear and Dash

Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2011, 10:26 PM
hwyhogg
Senior User
SDETWEIL; thanks for the extra effort. I do have the paper work. I hooked the "brake switch power" TO one of the brake switch tabs, and then the "brake switch" wire needs to go FROM the switch to the flasher? or tap into each turn signal wire going to the rear lights? Perhaps it will be clearer when I wire up the turn signals in the column...that will be a whole 'nother story trying to figure out the operation of each colored wire coming out of column. I am using a GM column, (firebird)..looks like 80's or 90's. Will post updates on progress tomorrow...will need to wire up turn signals, horn and hazard in column...BTW, I do like the rear LED lights I got from MidFifty. The running lights are very bright and of course don't give off near the heat

Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by hwyhogg
SDETWEIL; thanks for the extra effort. I do have the paper work. I hooked the "brake switch power" TO one of the brake switch tabs, and then the "brake switch" wire needs to go FROM the switch to the flasher? or tap into each turn signal wire going to the rear lights? Perhaps it will be clearer when I wire up the turn signals in the column...that will be a whole 'nother story trying to figure out the operation of each colored wire coming out of column. I am using a GM column, (firebird)..looks like 80's or 90's. Will post updates on progress tomorrow...will need to wire up turn signals, horn and hazard in column...BTW, I do like the rear LED lights I got from MidFifty. The running lights are very bright and of course don't give off near the heat
for the column, you just plug in the connector to the harness connector.. no thinking required.. the harness connector uses the GM wiring layout.

the wire from the brake light switch goes into the turn signal switch. cause when the blinker is on, the brake light on that side cannot be: its the same blub. there was a diagram here on FTE a while back but you really don't need to know it or do anything about it.. just hook the two connectors together and you're good to go.

Sam

Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM
hwyhogg
Senior User
Doh...wow, thanks for your patience SDETWEIL. Could notta been simpler. Had I just hooked that portion up FIRST, everything would've taken care of itself...you saved me some embarassment with the tech line and also kept the wife thinking I know what I'm doing..LOL....now, gotta get tags, insurance then alignment, then start putting the front end on so I can take it all back off to paint!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by hwyhogg
Doh...wow, thanks for your patience SDETWEIL. Could notta been simpler. Had I just hooked that portion up FIRST, everything would've taken care of itself...you saved me some embarassment with the tech line and also kept the wife thinking I know what I'm doing..LOL....now, gotta get tags, insurance then alignment, then start putting the front end on so I can take it all back off to paint!
no problem.. glad to help.. and ps.. my name is Sam.. I doubt your name is hwyhogg

Sam

Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 AM
hwyhogg
Senior User
Thanks Sam, James is my name and glad to know ya. BEAUTIFUL truck btw

Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
James...sounds like you're good to go. That "third brake light" wire is there for the extra brake light that some guys install in the top/center of the back window. I haven't seen one on an older truck, but the option is there in most of the aftermarket wiring harnesses.

Post a pic or two of your wiring installation!

Dan

Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 AM
hwyhogg
Senior User
Thanks Dan,
I left the wire ran to the back in case I get creative with a third light...I have seen some old panels with the late model ford van roof light integrated and they look good; but that is beyond my skills and right now my budget. I'm thinking maybe an aftermarket license frame with some leds I can "turn on" with the brakes for better visibility...

Old 12-12-2011, 08:06 PM
hwyhogg
Senior User
They Work!

Just a boring little video of working tail lights...also, notice it is actually registered and tag is mounted at last...
56 Ford Panel truck LED tail/brake lights - YouTube

Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

all that and no Blinkers? waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

teaser..

Sam

Old 12-08-2014, 05:49 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So... do not use the rear park lamp wires? Or hook rear park and rear turn to the same lead on the brake light?

Quick Reply: Brake lights...E-Z wiring