6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 F-350 extended cab dually purchase

Old 12-10-2011, 06:02 AM
red97stroker
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 F-350 extended cab dually purchase

Hey guys, well I finally decided to sell my older 1997 F-350 and purchase a newer one. I found an 08 with 20,000 miles and it was showroom clean. I so far have been very happy with it. We went on a road trip this past weekend up in North Carolina and it performed flawlessly. Averaged 15 mpg highway. That to me was a little lower than I'd expected being a newer vehicle, but acceptable considering the type of truck. Truck is miles ahead of my old one, however it looks like it is not as friendly to maintain, based on the reading I've done on the 6.4L forum. To say that I'm a little concerned, would be an understatement. I read on one post that preventive maintenance is critical on these newer diesels. Can some of you that have owned these super duty 6.4L's for a while, share some of you're thoughts on reliability and basic preventive maintenance as well as you're mpg's. I like to do filter and oil changes, as well as other basic maintenance at home to save money. But looks like there are a lot of posts with problems arising from simple maintenance jobs. Thx

Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am a newbie to diesel and the 6.4l, just 2 yrs now. We got our 08 DRW to tow our show car around. and it does that job wonderfully, and fuel mileage is 50% better than doing the same with an 08 suburban.. 9 vs 6.

I researched here a lot, and stick to the severe duty maintenance schedule..

I don't change the oil myself.. the ford dealer does that.. at $89 I just don't think I can get close enough.. I do change the fuel filter.. bought 4 or 5 off ebay for $20 each. and its easy, altho I have a 2wd which makes it lower to the ground.

I bought an extended warranty to cover the radiator leak risk.. guess I got snookered, it doesn't cover the hoses of anything.. had to replace the radiator hoses ($650) and this week the power steering pressure hose($450), but they did cover $1900 of work on power steering pump, hydroboost pump, tranny pan gasket, and belt tensioner.

other than those two things, this has been a beast.. does everything I want.
I bought at 41k miles, and am now at 70k miles. I now only drive it to carry/tow due to the mileage. best I ever get is 14.5 on the highway empty, but its a drw.

Sam

Old 12-10-2011, 02:54 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
X2 on what sam said. I would add that the best way to learn about your truck is to hang here a couple times a week and read the treads. There are some folks on here who know and understand these trucks. I know I've learned a ton on here and I've had diesels for 11 or 12 years now. If you're using the truck computer for your mileage calculations you might want to try it by hand. 15 with a DRW truck in the NC mountains sounds a little high. I know I coudn't get that. You would be wise to check your liquids often. It is very important that air not get into the cooling system, so don't let the coolant get below the cold fill bottom line. These trucks also have a very sensitive fuel system, and very expensive (9 to 10 grand). Don't let water get to the injectors. You can read all about it in the forum, just search "water in fuel". I change both filters at 5000 miles and drain the one under the drivers door on the 1st of every month. Also to protect the fuel system many of us use an additive, I use Diesel Kleen. You can get it at Wal mart for about $17, a lot cheaper than a fuel system. I also check the fuel before I fill the truck up. I pump a half gallon or so then I pour a bit from the pump into a clear jar I keep in the tool box for that purpose, just 10 or 12 ounces. If there is no water in the sample I proceed to fuel the truck. I may be the only one on here doing that but it gives me piece of mind. If ford finds signs of contaminated fuel they will not repair the truck under warranty. It then falls on the owner to get the fuel station, the insurance company or his rich uncle to pay the repair bill. And, my rich uncle has 7 kids so I'm out of luck. I would suggest you also learn about the DPF, how it works and how it may "make oil" in your truck. Don't let this stuff scare you but like you said above, these trucks need a lot more love than any of the previous ford diesels. Good luck and welcom to the forum.