Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noticed a trend while hunting

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 11:59 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the many years I have spent in the woods hunting around Mt. St. Helens here in Washington, I have noticed that the composition of hunting vehicles seemed to be at least 50% Ford, with Chevys, Dodges and Toyotas making upmost of the remainder. In the past, it always seemed that the drivers of the Fords were much more courteous than those of other vehicles. You could always tell when a Chevy, or especially a Toyota was coming down the road because they always seemed to be driving MUCH faster than conditions would indicate was a safe speed. They would throw rocks all over the place, and turn the roads into a bumpy, rutted mess because they would spin their tires going up a hill instead of actually trying to get traction and driving responsibly. I chalked it up to the fact that they were somehow mentally inferior, especially considering the types of trucks they were driving.

This year, I have noticed a dramatic change. Fords seem to make up at least 75% of the trucks in the hills. Normally, I would think this was a good thing. However, the behavior of a lot of these "new" Ford drivers leaves a lot to be desired. It seems that many of the inconsiderate drivers have now shifted to Ford (especially Super Duties). One instance in particular really ticked me off. As I was driving up an already bumpy logging road, I came to a corner. A red Super Duty came roaring around the corner at what I estimate to be at least 40 to 50 MPH. (Remember this is a bumpy, rutted, gravel and rock road.) I had to swerve almost completely off the road to avoid being hit, and was still sprayed with gravel. But it wasn't done yet. His buddies came flying around the corner next (in another Super Duty) pulling a flatbed trailer. When he saw me, he hit his brakes and sent the trailer sliding sidways, missing me by only a foot or two. The last truck (yet another Super Duty) had to lock up his brakes so he didn't hit the trailer.

While I can fully appreciate having fun and goofing off, driving like am idiot gives all Ford drivers a bad name.

At least the guy I see driving around with "POOPSTAIN" written across his bug deflector still drives a Chevy.

Old 11-06-2002, 12:21 PM
brown 4x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found newer F-150 drivers to be worse in my area than Super Duty drivers. But I agree with you on the rest, drivers of the older Fords seem to be a lot more friendly.

--------------
1995 F-150 Supercab XLT 155" 4x4 M5OD 302
1986 F-150 4x4 NP435 300

Old 11-06-2002, 03:04 PM
paulhenderson
Junior User

Its a trend all over, not just in the woods. TV has been feeding young minds on the invincibility and toughness of these trucks, and instead of showing them gently ascending into the woods, the commercials and shows are filled with roughriders plowing up the landscape. So the cowboys (emphasis on "boys") think they have to scream along instead of respecting their environment. It is too bad that these people have so little in life that blowing through the woods in their super dutys and HD chevys is their only fun in life.

Old 11-06-2002, 04:40 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>It is too bad that these
>people have so little in life that blowing through the woods
>in their super dutys and HD chevys is their only fun in
>life.

What's even worse is when folks like that get trails shut down. The eco nuts see guys like that ripin up the roads and trails and next thing you know, your favorite hunting spot, or wheeling spot is gated and locked.

Old 11-06-2002, 06:20 PM
Avanti
Elder User

I live in a small Nebraska town twenty miles from a city of over 350K.
I have a 92 ext cab F 150, Bronco II and 93 Aerostar. I too noticed the drivers of the super duties( 250, 350 etc) are a pain, drive like they own the world. Many of them are women & believe or not some are senior citizens. When I pick my son up at the high school they block traffic, double park etc. It all started a year or so ago. Even my wife & kids noticed it.

Old 11-06-2002, 06:59 PM
chuckman
Senior User

It seems that driving rough is the new trend. Could this just be because they recently lowered the age limit on licenses(at least here in missouri)? or is it just that people are getting stupider every day? i mean, im 19 and drive fast and hard, and yes, sometimes i can be an *** while driving, but i only do those things BECAUSE it pisses other people off. most people with these big trucks are just too inconsiderate and irresposible to be let behind a wheel.

Old 11-07-2002, 11:57 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is just more lack of road courtesy spreading into the woods. Too many of us, including me sometimes, are in too much of a rush to get where they are going. Too many of us forget that in bad conditions, like dirt roads, no vehicle will be performing it's best. Panic stops on dirt is dangerous at best, don't care if you have 4x4 or not.

I was in the woods last week and was very wary about trucks coming around a corner driving like they were on a city street with no traffic. Yes traffic is light in the woods, but visibility around corners sucks and if you have to stop quickly, the only way is to hit a mountain, tree, rock or my truck, unless you want to slide over the cliff. Makes me nervous in the woods and I like to keep an eye out for curves ahead and I watch for dust or fresh mud to warn me of traffic. I also drive with my windows open so I can hear a truck crashing thru the woods coming my way.

Still, there are too many who drive too fast and without caution in the woods. Hope they don't meet me up close around a curve.

Jim Henderson

Old 11-07-2002, 12:33 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post