6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Trailer Back-Up Cameras...what are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Jimax
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Back-Up Cameras...what are you using?

Debating on putting on a backup camera on the back of my trailer but trying to think about how to effectively power it and get the picture back to the cab of the truck.

I have factory nav with backup camera. In my perfect world, the stock camera would know that a trailer is hooked up and not even turn on and the video feed would be replaced by the one on the back of the trailer.

In reality, that probably won't work. In my quest to keep everything as OEM looking as possible, my next thought is to replace my current auto-dimming mirror with another Ford one that has the backup camera screen in it. Then, whenever a trailer is hooked up, the video feed would go to the mirror. Is this even possible?

What are some other suggestions for backup cameras on a trailer?

Camera Mirror:

And a pic of the rig...

Old 06-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Grout-Scout
Junior User
I'm a tight wad and bought a XL Ford, well backing up to the trailer was getting old so I bought one of the Peak cameras. Don't buy one, that's all I can tell you. Dang thing won't stay on while backing up, wireless problem I suppose.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:24 PM
PhuzzNutz
Freshman User
costaletech.com

Has a product that hooks into your MYSync and allow you to hook up extra cameras.

Check them out.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
im thinking of getting the edge camera that plugs into the edge insight cts

Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Jimax
Senior User
One of these days, I'll buy an Edge Insight.

The lockpic stuff looks interesting. May just have to jump on that!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I had the Edge insight with camera on my 2008 truck, my new truck came with the back up camera so I used the Edge camera on the back of the trailer and it is connected to upfitter switch 3 so that I can activate it when backing or going down the road. I am very happy with the set up.

Leon

Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
I use the OEM Nav camera for Bumper hookup. I connected the trailer camera to my Edge CTS. So depending on what I'm doing, I just look at a different monitor to see where I'm backing

Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have some wireless RV cameras out also, take a look around. My 250 didn't have the camera so I have an Advent camera, replaces the OEM rear view mirror. You could instead of mounting it at the bumper of the truck mount on the trailer instead and fix a connector. Edge CTS still sounds like best way to go though.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 PM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
See if these folks can help you:

www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm

Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 AM
King_Kong_01
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jimax
Debating on putting on a backup camera on the back of my trailer but trying to think about how to effectively power it and get the picture back to the cab of the truck.

I have factory nav with backup camera. In my perfect world, the stock camera would know that a trailer is hooked up and not even turn on and the video feed would be replaced by the one on the back of the trailer.

In reality, that probably won't work. In my quest to keep everything as OEM looking as possible, my next thought is to replace my current auto-dimming mirror with another Ford one that has the backup camera screen in it. Then, whenever a trailer is hooked up, the video feed would go to the mirror. Is this even possible?

What are some other suggestions for backup cameras on a trailer?

Camera Mirror:

And a pic of the rig...
Speaking of which, exact same idea has been bugging me for a while - having another camera hooked up on my trailer that would take priority over the existing OEM when the trailer is plugged in.

Thank you, for posting it here. That assures me that this idea is not as crazy as I thought.

I am sure it is doable and I'm willing to do all the mods myself, just need to find the right stuff and time to do it.

Does anyone know if OEM camera is analog or digital - if digital, what is the feed resolution?

Thanks,
BJ

Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
OEM is a standard two conductor analog camera with a shielded cable.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:45 PM
King_Kong_01
Junior User
Originally Posted by RobFlag
OEM is a standard two conductor analog camera with a shielded cable.
Thanks,
This will make the project much easier.
I found a 2 channel video switch that may do the trick for me, but they also have 3 channel switches if you need.
You can see it here.
It appears that this device has one camera enabled by default (AV1) to switch to the second (AV2) the red wire will have see 12Volts - for example a backup lights on the trailer.
I would have to run a wire from the trailer (backup lights) to the switch, so when the trailer is connected the 12Volt from trailer will trigger AV2. If trailer is not connected the switch will default to the existing OEM camera on my truck.
This will require to run the composite video cable (and a connector) from the trailer to the truck and one more wire from the trailer backup lights (perhaps on the same connector)

Old 06-14-2013, 04:53 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
Another option to consider: You can connect the output of all the cams you want to the current vid in on the truck as long as only one of them is powered at a time. So you could use an upfitter to control a relay that provides power to one camera (tailgate) when deenergized and another (trailer) when energized.