Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excursion Roof Rack Modifications

Old 01-15-2015, 06:48 PM
SVTDarin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigzirb
I have had 4 tires (285-75/16) mounted on aluminum rims for the Ex, and the entire assembled radiator support for my 78 Bronco on my roof rack and drove it 1300 miles that way with no issues. I'm sure 600 pounds of guys up there would not be a problem.
We need to use your rack as the design and find a fabricator to do a group buy build. The only problem would be shipping so maybe we do more than one group buy in different parts of the country.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:16 PM
KC-Griz
Freshman User
ExploringNH: This is what I'm envisioning for my build. Looks sturdy enough for my intents too though I'd probably add a expanded metal deck and rhino line the whole affair before install. I'm thinking perhaps 6 hard point anchors and utilizing the full length of both factory rail mounts as well. How much for your rack setup?

Old 01-15-2015, 07:29 PM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KC-Griz
ExploringNH: This is what I'm envisioning for my build. Looks sturdy enough for my intents too though I'd probably add a expanded metal deck and rhino line the whole affair before install. I'm thinking perhaps 6 hard point anchors and utilizing the full length of both factory rail mounts as well. How much for your rack setup?
I wanted to add expanded steel to the bottom or some plastic grating to allow for standing but I never got around to it.

I dont want to discuss price here as I think it is against the rules, but I will send you a PM.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
that ex looks long as a freight train on that last picture

Old 01-15-2015, 08:10 PM
KC-Griz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ExploringNH
I wanted to add expanded steel to the bottom or some plastic grating to allow for standing but I never got around to it.

I dont want to discuss price here as I think it is against the rules, but I will send you a PM.
Got your message and I'd be interested but it's much too far to make it worthwhile.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SVTDarin
We need to use your rack as the design and find a fabricator to do a group buy build. The only problem would be shipping so maybe we do more than one group buy in different parts of the country.
From post #32: "My rack is 53 inches wide and 95 inches long of useable area inside the basket. I spent around 30 hours of time building (redesigning and rebuilding) and fitting it how I wanted it.
Here is the breakdown of costs if you are interested.
1/2" conduit $31.36
2 1/4" flat stock $5.95
Black spray paint $18.36
J-bolts 5/16 x 3" $9.60
5/16 fender washers and nylock nuts $3.10
3/8 x 4' Rubber $7.49
Metric bolts to raise rails $24.00 (stainless)
Total cash investment is $99.86"

The outlay of money to a fabricator would be way more then the cost of the materials involved. You could probably buy a cheap mig welder from Harbor Freight or some other similar store, buy all the materials, and build the whole thing yourself cheaper then getting a fabricator to make one. The whole reason I did this thread was to show that it could be built by anyone easily. Also to show that the small conduit was plenty strong enough if used properly. Whenever I get done building my Bronco I will be building a similar rack in a smaller size for it.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:58 PM
mb_01sc
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks to bigzirb and the rest of you that have contributed here.

I built a rack for my cousin's truck camper shell, it's too short for the excursion but I had to 'test fit' it to see how it would look and thought I would share...

Materials, 1/2" emt, 3/4" superstrut, 1.5" superstrut and .5"x1.5" thin wall c channel (If I was starting over I would've used more 1/2" emt instead of this c channel). The mounts are 1.5" superstrut that will be bolted through the camper roof since he does not have rails. Overall dimensions are 54"x60" usable space, 66" overall length with the front hoop and 48" between the the side rails where they attach to the rear so he can slide a piece of plywood up there if he needs to.

After this test fit, I believe the 1.5" superstrut would make a good mount for anyone that still has the factory rails. They sat perfect on the rails and the 1/4" superstrut nuts slide right into the factory ford rails if you remove the spring from them.

Hope this helps someone else with more ideas.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mb_01sc
I just wanted to say thanks to bigzirb and the rest of you that have contributed here.

I built a rack for my cousin's truck camper shell, it's too short for the excursion but I had to 'test fit' it to see how it would look and thought I would share...

Materials, 1/2" emt, 3/4" superstrut, 1.5" superstrut and .5"x1.5" thin wall c channel (If I was starting over I would've used more 1/2" emt instead of this c channel). The mounts are 1.5" superstrut that will be bolted through the camper roof since he does not have rails. Overall dimensions are 54"x60" usable space, 66" overall length with the front hoop and 48" between the the side rails that attach to the rear so he can slide a piece of plywood up there if he needs to.

After this test fit, I believe the 1.5" superstrut would make a good mount for anyone that still has the factory rails. They sat perfect on the rails and the 1/4" superstrut nuts slide right into the factory ford rails if you remove the spring from them.

I really like your rack... I think if you made it just a little bit longer it would look perfect!

Are you taking orders?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:11 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
I like the kendolf on the sides

Old 01-25-2015, 08:34 PM
mb_01sc
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
I really like your rack... I think if you made it just a little bit longer it would look perfect!

Are you taking orders?
Thanks! This build definitely gave me the bug to build one for my truck that fits properly

No orders, this was a birthday present for my cousin, but I'm just a hack weekend welder with a 110v flux core only machine. I am starting to improve my skills with a grinder though.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:34 AM
bigzirb
Elder User
I like the use of super strut. I may add some to the sides of mine the next time I take it off. It would be a nice way to mount side lights and have them be easy to reposition. Just one more thing to Upgrade the Ex with.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 PM
KC-Griz
Freshman User
I'm in the planning stages of building my roof rack and will use uni-strut (super strut) for most of the frame. full length 1-5/8" stainless steel uni-strut runners over the existing luggage rack location with 1-5/8" floor supports and 7/8" side rails. plan on putting expanded metal down for flooring. Also will be adding additional support to not depend entirely on the roof.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:53 AM
shockwavrider
Freshman User
Looks FanF'nTastic!!!

Great Rack Build! Wish I had the tools and skills to do Something that great!!

Materials, 1/2" emt, 3/4" superstrut, 1.5" superstrut and .5"x1.5" thin wall c channel (If I was starting over I would've used more 1/2" emt instead of this c channel). The mounts are 1.5" superstrut that will be bolted through the camper roof since he does not have rails. Overall dimensions are 54"x60" usable space, 66" overall length with the front hoop and 48" between the the side rails where they attach to the rear so he can slide a piece of plywood up there if he needs to.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
shockwavrider
Freshman User
Distance between screws holding in the rails?

Looking at you post has given me some ideas and while I am trapped in the Orifice at work I was just wondering if you or anyone else would know the distance (width) between the two sets of roof rails from screw head to screw head?

Thanks-
Mike

Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 PM
mb_01sc
Mountain Pass
Center line to center line of each roof rail I believe is 42 3/4"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excursion Roof Rack Modifications