Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2014, 01:36 PM
New User

DGrahamIV is starting off with a positive reputation.
http://www.facebook.com/don.graham.583
Bigzirb,
How deep did you make your rack? I'm thinking of going 8" for the vertical supports between the upper and lower rings but I'm trying to put that in perspective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrahamIV View Post
Perfect... I know just the place to look then. looks great and thanks for sharing.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Semper Fi MOFO!

Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
thronsonskip
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzirb View Post
I am in a debate between going out the rear hatch and all of the way forward on the rack or going out the front passenger door and straight up to the rack. It will depend on how many side lights I decide to add. I also am looking at adding a 48inch long LED brake light strip along the rear of the rack to really let people know how tall it is at night and be sure they know when I'm stopping.

did you ever get the wires run? i was thinking about running mine thru rear hatch for backuplights on roof, but not sure how to get them wires in there without compromising a seal.

i love your 4th brake light idea too. i might have to use that one!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:21 AM
Postmaster

wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip1970 View Post
did you ever get the wires run? i was thinking about running mine thru rear hatch for backuplights on roof, but not sure how to get them wires in there without compromising a seal.

Skip,

There is a large rubber grommet on the passenger side in the area that the upper glass shock sits that you can go thru.

I ran my wiring in the headliner and came out that rubber grommet, and sealed the are good. Once you have the top and sides of the plastic loose on the inside you can fish the wires thru the body holes to that grommet opening easily.
Lots of room in that area that the upper lift gate shocks sit in for wiring. I also zip tied them up to the hinge area and then across to the factory rail area to run them up front on the outside.
2002 Excursion, 4x4, V-10, XLT, RS9000 shocks, true trac diff, 08 alum diff cover, interior light delete, 08 power fold/xtend mirrors, KM2 tires, 5 Star tuned, front cryo powerslots with hawk pads, XRF ball joints. 50" front mounted LED bar, 10" reverse light LED bar. Banks stainless long tube headers and exhaust kit., front seat heaters.
2011 Expedition, Ltd Max, 4x4. 30" LED light bar, flip key fob, 9 passenger, more to come.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Elder User

bigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip1970 View Post

Skip,
Check post #94 for the pics.
I cheated since I was tapping into power under the hood and I ran the switch control wires with the power wire under the length of the body. I ran from the frame to the roof rack going around the outside of the hatch seal so I never had to go thru the body. I zip tied to the hatch hinges to hold the wires in place. I have not had anything move since I built it all over a year ago. My wife still hates the LED brake light and I still like how much it makes people stay back when I am stopping.

Just waiting until I get caught up on the house projects so I can dedicate some time to come back and wire side marker lights on the rack and well as switched work lights. I need to replace one of the KC light bulbs since it burned out this summer. I also need to straighten one go the rack floor supports since I ratcheted down the spare a too much and bent it a little.
As usual, just need time and money.
2nd trans cooler, replaced regular fan with electric fan (increased MPG by 1.1mpg towing) Trans temp gauge, Voltage gauge, and Vacuum gauge mounted in 3 gauge driver pillar pod, Custom Safari Rack, Full size spare on the rack
1978 Bronco 460, NP435, BW1345, Dana 44HD/ Dana 60, 40's "project"
Old 11-06-2014, 03:37 PM