Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 08:06 AM
WADDELL
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hemi

Anybody know the 1/4 mile time of the Dog 1500 with a Hemi in it.How does the new F150 stack up?

I have heard that Ford motor has a hemi-spherical head too they just dont have the rights to the Hemi name and dog does.I dont think this true its just what I have heard.

Edit:
Whoops !
herd = a group of horses

heard = from using my ear to hear

Old 04-15-2003, 08:12 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
Hemi

Most people I know don't usually unhook the trailers from their trucks and go to the track on the weekends. So 1/4 mile times for full-size pickup trucks are going to be hard to find.

The word on the street, however, is that the new "Hemi" motor in the Dodge trucks is not very impressive despite it's big Horsepower numbers.

Old 04-15-2003, 08:44 PM
vman
Elder User
Hemi

No, they are fast. I saw one on tv trailering a charger and it beat another slopar.LOL

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
That Was Trick Photography

heh heh heh heh heh heh !

Old 04-15-2003, 09:49 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Hemi

Well, I'll chime in here, since I have 2 friends that have just bought Hemi Rams..
They're strong, no question there. Probably the fastest stock truck (without a special package, ie. Lightning) I've ever driven.

They seem to have ironed out their tranny probs with this revised tranny. It's the smoothest, best handling truck I've ever driven (again, stock.)
However, with the weight difference, I see no reason that a 5.4 Triton in a 1/2 Ton couldn't be modfied to beat it pretty easily. It's not THAT far behind it stock.

The biggest claim I have heard dumping on the new Dodge is that it has no low end torque. Well, I haven't seen that to be true yet, I'll let ya know once we hook the tandem form trailer to it and tug some lumber up the road. It seems that the Sport package is definitely not the way to go if you are going to be doing any towing, it's way too soft for that.
All in all, they're very impressive trucks. I do, however, need to drive the 04 F150 w/ a 5.4 before I can say much as far as who is better. And again, wait for em both to rack up over 100,000 miles, and then see.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:54 PM
truckfreak69
Posting Guru
Hemi

Lol my friend told me I drive too many miles to buy a new truck, but I plan on being in the market for one in the next two years. I really am starting to lean toward the dodge, because I don't think I can afford a diesel, but even if I could the dodge has a good option there too. Besides I don't care who has the better automatic, I'm not spending another 3-5 grand for one, I'll shift. Tell me why doesn't ford offer a darker color interior wise for the Superduty? That alone sold me on the dodge, I like DARK interiors. Anyway, I'll prolly stay loyal to ford because they'll update the SD soon to be comprable comfort wise, and there's just something cheap feeling about dodge's products (my uncle has a Dakota 4 door). and their paint peels too.

But if they don't iron out this 6.0 soon, and with all the problems GM is having with their motors and ugliness, Dodge will gain some sales.

sorry to be off topic, I don't know about the new Hemi, but even the updated 5.4 has less HP and tourque I believe (I know RPM's are important) but why does ford insist on sticking with this motor, I heard the modular motors weren't even originally intended for truck use. Is this true?

Old 04-17-2003, 11:54 PM
Xwarrior86
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hemi

I'd like to add a question/comment to that last inquirey. Why doesn't Ford bring the 5.8L back around? LIke revamp the old 351? I know the Windsor plant is still in production, but of what I don't know. Anyway. That's just my 2 cents. I figure it'd be possible to get more HP out of that engine than the 5.4. (it's under powered) And since Dodge's Hemi is only a 5.7L, we'll have them beat. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Old 04-18-2003, 01:48 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hemi

yeah, but dodges 5.7 could be anywhere form a 348 to a 350, the 5.8 is a 351, not much difference in size, to compete ford would have to supercharge, or turbo it.

Old 04-18-2003, 09:07 AM
Xwarrior86
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hemi

Well, they're having to do that on the 5.4L anyway. At least I know they are on the Harley edition (not so sure on the Lightning) Couldn't greater torque and HP be made from the 351? You'll have to excuse my bluntness. I'm a big fan of this engine.

Old 04-18-2003, 10:15 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Hemi

I won;t buy a truck that doesn't have the 351, but I've got to say that the 5.4 has more potential. it's tough to put functional 4 valves per cyl. heads on a pushrod motor, they both have their higs and lows.

Old 04-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
Hemi

Times I have seen posted seem to range from 14.9 up to 16 stock.

Old 04-20-2003, 09:33 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Hemi

Originally posted by pfogle
yeah, but dodges 5.7 could be anywhere form a 348 to a 350, the 5.8 is a 351, not much difference in size, to compete ford would have to supercharge, or turbo it.
Yep, 348.

Pushing 347 HP. Not too bad.
What I want to see, and haven't run across yet, is comparative dyno runs on, say, a 5.4 Standard cab shortbox 4wd and a Hemi with the same config. Till then, you really can't say much.

Old 04-21-2003, 03:36 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Hemi

I think the powerband is a wee bit of a high side of the rpm. Making it downright fast. But it would most likely flounder with a significant load up a grade. Leave that to the big blocks and the diesels.

Old 04-21-2003, 05:18 AM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Hemi

Originally posted by Logical Heritic
I think the powerband is a wee bit of a high side of the rpm. Making it downright fast. But it would most likely flounder with a significant load up a grade. Leave that to the big blocks and the diesels.
Well, we towed a 28' camper with the Hemi the other day (not exactly a HUGE load, but, hey, it's an example..). Going up one seriously steep grade, that his old 360 truck would almost die on, this think never even blinked. Just downshifted, and started pulling like there was nothing there. Of course, the whole time, I'm watching his overhead console mileage readout drop by the second.. By the end of the hill, it was down to about 10.5.

Old 04-21-2003, 04:46 PM
gamehunter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hemi

Actually, even if he got 10.5 the whole while towing a 28' camper through mountains that would still be wonderful. The thing with the hemi that decieves people is the power curves....sure they peak at sky high rpm's, but the torque curve is VERY flat all the way from 2k up. Very similar looking torque curve to the new 4v 5.4l. I remember my father once said he was getting 7mpg towing a medium sized tandem axle camper and 17ft jon boat behind that with his old 96' 360. That was bucking a 25mph headwind doing 75mph the whole time....not good odds for gas mileage.

Now one thing that I have never been able to understand is why the manufacturers rarely offer a manual trans with their bigger engines in the 1/2 ton series? Chevy offered it with their 350, and ford offered it in the late 80's with the 351....

Old 04-22-2003, 12:14 AM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Hemi

According to a Dodge engineer the hemi makes as much torque at 1200 rpm's as the 360 did at peak. Peak numbers are not the whole story.

Quick Reply: Hemi