Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

GM has the best selling truck in America?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 06:57 PM
BobbyL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a bit confused the other day when I read here that the Ford F-150 is the best selling truck in the U.S. You see I always thought the Chevy/GMC twins were the best selling trucks in America. Today I asked my buddy, Andy, who is a car nut and this is what he told me. As far as sales of a halfton chassis go General Motors sells 1/3 more per year than Ford does. However Ford has the best selling body in the U.S. because technically the Chevy/GMC are two different models despite the fact that they are built on the same chassis and share the same powertrain. I just thought I would share this information with ya'll and see what you think. So my question is, is the best selling truck the GM product despite the fact that it is sold under 2 different names or the Ford F-150 because it is sold under one name. If F-150 production were split between Ford F-150 and Mercury F-150 would it still be #1? Some heavy thoughts after a few beers..... Man I need a life..........

Old 04-03-2003, 04:24 PM
theshyguy
Elder User

Its Ford. Just beacause of the reason you said, two different nameplates. But I feel that now, the Sierra and Silverado are two different trucks since they have different looks so that cant be argued. But thats my feelings toward the issue. But as far as Gm sells and Ford sells. Gm sells more Silverados and Sierra combined. But when it is F-Series against against Gm, that is a broader range and Ford sells more. It gets hard to understand. Most people hear what they want to hear on this topic and say their opinion is the real facts.

Remeber: Theres 3 truths; My truth, your truth and the real truth.

Old 04-03-2003, 07:10 PM
BobbyL
Senior User

OK, so how about this. Let's talk chassis. Ford builds two trucks on the F-150 chassis. The F-150 and the Expedition. Chevrolet builds the 1500, 2500, Suburban, Tahoe, and Avalanche on the same chassis. Now who has more sales of 1/2 ton chassis in the U.S.? I think it would be fair to say that Ford has the best selling nameplate and Chevrolet has the best selling chassis.

Old 04-03-2003, 11:36 PM
theshyguy
Elder User

You forgot H2. And the Expedition and Aviator.But now your just reaching for something for Gm to be sell that outnumbers the Ford. The same arguement here can be made with the Tahoe/Yukon or the GMC Suburban/ Chevy Suburban, or even the Envoy/Trailblazer and used to be Bravada. Chassis's can be put under any vehicle its all the other components that make the vehicle the vehicle. Chassis's can be put under multiple vehicles, but the capabilities of the various vehicles can be widely different.

But if its Ford Vs. Gm. Gm sells more. If its the individual nameplates then Ford usually sells more and often is #1. I'm not defending any way of thinking, its just how each person fells.

Old 04-04-2003, 02:07 AM
ford_tr_man
Senior User

no the lincon navagater and the expy are not based on the f-150 any more snse they where re-done in 03

the aviator is based on the explorer

Old 04-04-2003, 08:44 AM
BobbyL
Senior User

Personally I think it's pretty cool that Ford develops different platforms for it's vehicles where GM uses the same platform for a 1500 pick up all the way to an Escalade. Of course all that development cost could lead to financial trouble for Ford.

Old 04-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Skeetkiller
Senior User

Ford F-150 is the best selling truck in America.
Ford F-series is the best selling truck line in America.
Ford Explorer is the best selling suv in America.

See the patern. It is all listed as Ford. GM is the mother company that Chebby and GMC are from. So if you combine the sales of those two and compare them to Ford, you are probably right. But GM can't say that the have the best selling trucks, because the F-series has that title.

They have had it for 26 years. And by the new GM styling, another 26 years to come.

Not trying to pan anybody, but that is why there is the distinction between brands. BTW, GM refers to the GMC as the Gentlemens truck, that is why they are more plush than the Chebby.

My $.02

Old 04-04-2003, 01:07 PM
theshyguy
Elder User

True about Gm styling as of late. The decided not to use the same look on all the Chevy line as they had previously decided to do. Plus they are supposed to change the Cheby look in 05. That is that going to do to resale value. # different loosk in 6 years.
Ford Escape is the best seling small SUV in America.
Ranger uis the best selling compact truck in America.
Damn Ford rules.

Old 04-04-2003, 03:18 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts

The Ford F-150 is the #1 selling vehicle in the world...period.

It outsells everything else on the planet that has an engine in it. Don't ever let anybody tell you that GM sells more trucks...it's garbage they feed you because they are jealous.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:35 PM
bronco351
Posting Guru

THE BOTTOM LINE IS...... FORD is the number one selling truck for 50+ years and counting!!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2003, 11:50 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

www.pickuptruck.com everymonth lists truck sales and how they compare to last year. ford is beating gmc and chevy combined by close to 15 thousand.

Old 04-28-2003, 01:33 PM
theshyguy
Elder User

Thats where I usually get the info. But they havent updated to March yet, Atleast not on my comp. It may be not updating webpages again. 15 thousands isnt enough.

Old 04-29-2003, 03:26 PM
F0rdFre@K
Laughing Gas

As far as I understand. Ford puts out more then 850K new F-Series trucks a year.

Chevy puts out <600K and the GM model doesn't make the top 10 where the lowest is < 240K units sold per year.

So. If Chevy and GM are the same truck, how come chevy sells more then the GM name? and combined they still don't add up the the 850K + truck that Ford sells?

My info came from Edmunds.com.

I'll look for it again and link it if someone is interested?

Old 05-02-2003, 09:05 AM
LK
Elder User

Just noticed that the April sales figures are out:

(These sales are year-to-date as of the end of April.)

Ford F-series 252,543
Chevy Silverado 202,064
Dodge Ram 133,112
GMC Sierra 57,361
(GM combined sales 259,425)

It looks like the new-bodystyle GM trucks are becoming more popular, but by the end of the year the F-series should come out easily ahead because of the mid-year introduction of the redesigned '04s. Sales of the F-series are probably dropping a bit right now because a lot of new-truck buyers are waiting for the introduction of the new '04s before purchasing.

LK

Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 PM
matthews_56
Senior User

Originally posted by LK
Just noticed that the April sales figures are out:

(These sales are year-to-date as of the end of April.)

Ford F-series 252,543
Chevy Silverado 202,064
Dodge Ram 133,112
GMC Sierra 57,361
(GM combined sales 259,425)

LK
I did the same research and went a step further:
Ford - $25,000 - $48,000
Chevy - $16,000 - $32,000
Dodge - $20,000 - $45,000

The GMC was the same price range as the Chevy. Combined GM sales may have something to do with DRAMATICALLY lower pricing. But as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: GM has the best selling truck in America?