Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Driveline troubles when in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveline troubles when in reverse

Over the last few weeks I have noticed some issues with my truck, when in reverse. Usually, when leaving work, I back out of my spot and notice after about 20-30 feet a slight thump followed by a sensation similar to applying the brakes.

Yesterday I replaced the starter in the truck and had the batteries disconnected for several hours. This morning when backing away from the curb, that braking sensation presented itself again, but much worse. I was only able to back up about 5 feet before the truck came to a halt with very little accelerator. Applying more accelerator gave me a sensation almost like that of power braking (one side of the truck torquing upwards slightly).

Truck drives fine in all forward gears, but now it seems as though reverse may be completely out of the question for me.

When I arrived at work, I plugged in AE and think I saw a P1828 under the DTCs, but I made the stupid mistake of clearing them before I confirmed that. Once I got home I ran DTCs again, but did not find another P1828.

Any thoughts on what I need to start looking at in this thing? My big fear is the transmission is on the way out.

2003 F250, 7.3L with 188k on the odo, 4R100, auto transfer and hubs. No tunes.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a wierd one. If you feel the rear binding up, then I would think the trans is trying to turn the drive shaft but something is holding it back behind the drive shaft..

This is really a bump.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Try coasting down an incline. Try it in reverse and try it in neutral, if the problem is in the transmission it should only do it when in reverse. If it is in the brakes it should do it in or out of reverse. just my thoughts, can't hurt anything

Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 AM
8tsixt
Elder User
I had the exact same issues over time with my dually. The end result was the differential ring and pinion bad, as well as the spider gears missing chunks. Remove the rear diff cover and inspect for damage of any and all gears. My pinion looked like it had a severe case of cavities on the back side of the gears is the best i could explain, therefor not showing an issue while driving forward. Once I took it apart I also noticed a piece of the spider gears missing. Mine started showing symptoms while backing up at a angle and then to the point where it almost didnt want to back up.. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
Another idea may be to check your u joints. When mine were cracked they would make the same noise and have the same feel in reverse as you have but going forward was fine.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bob Taulbee
Try coasting down an incline. Try it in reverse and try it in neutral, if the problem is in the transmission it should only do it when in reverse. If it is in the brakes it should do it in or out of reverse. just my thoughts, can't hurt anything
Definitely not the ebrakes holding things up. I've been able to confirm them disengaging when I release the pedal. But I suppose there is always a chance that they are reengaging when I am backing up.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by 8tsixt
I had the exact same issues over time with my dually. The end result was the differential ring and pinion bad, as well as the spider gears missing chunks. Remove the rear diff cover and inspect for damage of any and all gears. My pinion looked like it had a severe case of cavities on the back side of the gears is the best i could explain, therefor not showing an issue while driving forward. Once I took it apart I also noticed a piece of the spider gears missing. Mine started showing symptoms while backing up at a angle and then to the point where it almost didnt want to back up.. Best of luck to you.
As luck would have it, I am going to the shop tonight to put in new glowplugs and a UVCH. I'll pull that cover when I am in there. Guess I need to pick up some RTV to seal everything back up after.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
Another idea may be to check your u joints. When mine were cracked they would make the same noise and have the same feel in reverse as you have but going forward was fine.
I'll have a look at the u-joints too. I just had the shaft out and inspected when I had a new joint put in on the differential end. Maybe they forgot something.

Thanks for all the help guys. Not exactly what I really needed right now. Wife had a hard enough time buying the idea of buying injectors. A new trans is going to make her even happier!

Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I agree with Carlos pop that diff cover off and inspect the ring and pinion.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:26 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by akaFrankCastle
As luck would have it, I am going to the shop tonight to put in new glowplugs and a UVCH. I'll pull that cover when I am in there. Guess I need to pick up some RTV to seal everything back up after.
If you have limited slip don't forget friction modifier or use a gear lube that already has it. I used Valvoline Syn Power that had friction modifier in it. Didn't need to add any additional friction modifier.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
And Bob is the winner. Lesson learned for me tonight: never discount something as checking out until you do a THOROUGH inspection.

As it turns out, the right rear emergency brake lever was hanging up. I pulled the caliper and top hat where I found the shoes had been extended out to almost constant contact with the interior of the rotor. Dialed them all the way down and buttoned everything back up. I won't be using the emergency brake again until I get the cable situation figured out. Seems to not want to release tension when the pedal is popped.

On a positive note, the rear diff looks great. And now it has new fluid in it. Probably could have saved myself some time tonight had I just jacked up the rear end and spun the tire by hand FIRST. But, at least I serviced my rear diff.

Thanks again guys.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Thanks for letting us know what the problem was. happy to hear that you got it fixed up.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:47 PM
8tsixt
Elder User
Bringing this back from the dead. Frank, any updates? I am having the same issues again except it is not the rear axle this time. I will likely star my own thread in a few minutes.