6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Glow Plug dropped ( pic added )

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:06 PM
04xcur
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 6.7 Glow Plug dropped ( pic added )

I would like to know if i am the only one that had that problem... a few weeks ago, I had to stop and get the truck towed to the dealership and they told me that my engine was shot

Then they told me it was a glow plug that fell inside the cylinder... didn't know it was possible but any way it was under warranty.

Last Monday they asked me to bring all my service receipt and that ford is asking them to take the engine apart and study it before they would ship a new engine...

Are the trying to get away from paying it under warranty ? The truck is 2011 with 80000 km ( 50000 miles ).

Anybody went through that before ?

Last edited by 04xcur; 12-13-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-06-2011, 02:18 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
I have heard of this before

I have seen/heard it on the 6.0 Rare and 7.3 and 6.4.
I have not seen it on the 6.7.

I hope it is good news that MAYBE they will try to fix this problem in the next production run.

Is your truck stock?

Donovan

Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
04xcur
New User
2.5 leveling kit at the front and 35x12.5 tires...

The problem is i bought the truck at 35,000 miles (60000 km) and i have no idea what has been done prior to that as maintenance goes...

Old 12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 04xcur
2.5 leveling kit at the front and 35x12.5 tires...

The problem is i bought the truck at 35,000 miles (60000 km) and i have no idea what has been done prior to that as maintenance goes...
Ford is not above trying to weasel out of paying claims if they can find a legit reason. I hope they are not trying to do that to you, but you have to try to protect yourself by providing all they ask for to the best you can.

I would be interested in hearing how they think service records relate to a glow plug breaking off.

As far as service records before you bought it, that is tough. Dealers are forbidden by law from giving you any records from a previous owner (privacy concerns). If you bought it from a Ford dealer, they should have documented the condition of the vehicle before they sold it to you. That would be your best case scenario. Worst case would be if you bought it private party with no service records.

I would try running a Carfax report to try and fill in any gaps in service records. Just in case it becomes an issue. Also, register with the Ford owner web site, and then check for service that might have been performed by a Ford dealership.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
One indication that this is a rare problem, Ford wants to study the engine.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read of a couple or so incidents of this happening to the 6.7. Somewhere I've also read that this can be caused by failing to wait for the glow plug light to go off before cranking but I don't know if there is any basis for that claim.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Is this a cab and chassis?
I've not heard of this issue at all with the 6.7L that I remember but I'll be more shocked if this is the pickup 6.7L instead of the C&C 6.7L.
The C&C engines have had a few more issues.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
I've read of a couple or so incidents of this happening to the 6.7. Somewhere I've also read that this can be caused by failing to wait for the glow plug light to go off before cranking but I don't know if there is any basis for that claim.

I'm not sure how not waiting for the light to go out could cause this, even after the light goes out that isn't the end of the glowplug cycle.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:48 AM
04xcur
New User
The truck is a F350 CC FX4 Lariat.

There is one thing i noticed is when i use the remote start (witch i use a lot living an hour away from Alaska !) the truck doesn't look like it wait for the glow plug to turn off before it starts the truck... maybe there is something there...

Old 12-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
If the truck was serviced at a Ford Dealer, The records will be in the Oasis computer report. So it is only records of service NOT at a Ford deaker that they will really be looking at.

I'm sure they will look for any work that would have removed and replace a glow plug where they can put the blame on improper replacement.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
I'm not sure how not waiting for the light to go out could cause this, even after the light goes out that isn't the end of the glowplug cycle.
I don't know how/why waiting for the glowplug light would make a bit of difference either which is why I qualified the statement.
I wish Ford would do like Cummins and eliminate glowplugs in favor of the intake grid, it seems to be more reliable and there can be no plugs falling into cylinders destroying engines.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Someone can correct me, but I remember reading somewhere that the glow plug remains energized even after engine start and remains on for some period of time. I don't think that whether the truck starts with the plug hot or not has anything to do with this failure. I'm also interested to know if this failure was on a cab and chassis model.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Someone can correct me, but I remember reading somewhere that the glow plug remains energized even after engine start and remains on for some period of time. I don't think that whether the truck starts with the plug hot or not has anything to do with this failure. I'm also interested to know if this failure was on a cab and chassis model.
You are correct, I believe they can stay on for over two minutes during warmup. They can also cycle on during extended idle periods to help keep the engine up to temperature.

This seems like a defect, plain and simple. A relatively catastrophic one at that, but you shouldnt have any trouble getting this covered under warranty. Please let us know how it goes!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:45 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04xcur
There is one thing i noticed is when i use the remote start (witch i use a lot living an hour away from Alaska !) the truck doesn't look like it wait for the glow plug to turn off before it starts the truck... maybe there is something there...
Even in the coldest of temperatures the glow plugs are ready after only a few seconds. Upon inital key-on full battery voltage (rush current) is fed to the glow plugs for approximately 2 seconds before dropping back to 7 volts for the remainder of the commanded on time. This rush current is what allows them to be ready pretty much instantly in most conditions...

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
The glow plugs can be active for up to 20 minutes after the engine is started and as Tom pointed out, they can also be commanded back on during extended idle in cold ambient temperatures.

The main factors that determine the wait to start light post time and how long the glow plugs will remain active after the engine is running are the coolant temperature and battery voltage...

Quick Reply: 6.7 Glow Plug dropped ( pic added )