Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different colored dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 PM
dylanellis
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different colored dash lights

I want to change my dash lights to red how do you do this ? I've seen some people have them but don't know how to do it.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 PM
xc4jokestomper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your going to have to pull the gauges out of the dash (not hard) and scrape the green film off of them for the red to come through. i havent done that but i did change mine to blue. DO NOT go cheap on the bulbs, you will regret it like i did. take your time and itll turn out great.

i dont have the link but one of the members on here has a very nice writeup on the lightning forum about changing the bulbs. i dont know if theirs a write up about scraping the film off or not. i know sidewinder has red lights in his truck so maybe he can help ya out on it.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 PM
dylanellis
Junior User
do u pull it completely out ? and i put blue ones in behind the green film. is the green film hard to pull out ?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by xc4jokestomper
your going to have to pull the gauges out of the dash (not hard) and scrape the green film off of them for the red to come through. i havent done that but i did change mine to blue. DO NOT go cheap on the bulbs, you will regret it like i did. take your time and itll turn out great.

i dont have the link but one of the members on here has a very nice writeup on the lightning forum about changing the bulbs. i dont know if theirs a write up about scraping the film off or not. i know sidewinder has red lights in his truck so maybe he can help ya out on it.
I have nothing more to add Garrett. You summed it up very well....

Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 PM
dylanellis
Junior User
ok do you pull the dash completely out and when i put my blue ones in behind the green film there was a cable that wouldnt come out.. how do you get that out and where can you get red or different colored bulbs?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 373 Likes on 283 Posts
Best bet is to order from a good company online. NOT Ebay. You are reffering to the speedo cable I assume. Should be able to pop that out but there s a retaining clip.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here ya go.
LED interior - The National Lightning Owners Club Inc

Ive had mine for almost 2 years. Pictures make them look dim but they are pretty bright.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

I got my bulbs from Advance Auto.....2 inna pack....

Old 12-09-2011, 05:49 PM
dylanellis
Junior User
so how do you get the green film off ? and how did you get the one in ur ashtray because after i get all this figured out im going to do it ! i want blue ones bad ! or red !

Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IIRC ash try is more or less pull out, pop up and pull (found this out the hard way when I had to work on fixing the cigar port with Ryan LOL) but that should reveal the light which is IIRC a 194 bulb (haven't been up under there since then which was about 6 months ago I think...)

as for the green film, no its not hard, you will just need to remove your needles CAREFULLY and delicately use a sharp item like a box cutter (Wes correct me if im wrong but thats what you used right?) and gently scrape the green off and once you have enough to grab on with your figures gently pull it off...I havent done this yet but I know other have and I know Wes (Sidewinder) has some pics showing how to do this some where...

Old 12-09-2011, 08:05 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Jaime74656
IIRC ash try is more or less pull out, pop up and pull (found this out the hard way when I had to work on fixing the cigar port with Ryan LOL) but that should reveal the light which is IIRC a 194 bulb (haven't been up under there since then which was about 6 months ago I think...)

as for the green film, no its not hard, you will just need to remove your needles CAREFULLY and delicately use a sharp item like a box cutter (Wes correct me if im wrong but thats what you used right?) and gently scrape the green off and once you have enough to grab on with your figures gently pull it off...I havent done this yet but I know other have and I know Wes (Sidewinder) has some pics showing how to do this some where...
Yes Jaime.....just pull the needles STRAIGHT OFF THEIR POLES, and the use a thin knife blade to slide under the gauges and lift more than trying to cut....

They should more or less fall off that way...

Then flip them over, and use a regular rounded bladed pocket knife to scrape the green film off, till green turns white...

Then simply realign them, gluing them on and replace the needles by simply pressing them on.....It'll prolly take a couple tries to get it right...

The a/c controls are useless to even attempt.....The heat from the heater has more or less bonded permenantly to the a/c unit controls.....

Old 12-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did my heater controlls, you just have to be berry careful peeling it off.

If your truck is a 4x4 then the 4wd buttons can be changed colors too.

Pull the main dash bezel off to where you can see the back of the box for the buttons. There is a spot for a Phillips screwdriver that will pull out the little bulb. It has a green cover on the bulb.
Pull the cover off the bulb.
I used a red paint marker to color my bulb red and put it back in, works great

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Biggest thing is to TAKE YOUR TIME when scraping the green off...

And make sure you take a pic of your dash with the truck running after a drive(warmed up). Then when your done before you put the needles back on warm the truck up again and put them back in TW same spots in the pic.
I used my gps and cruise controll to get my speedo right.(I know it's not the safest way to do it)

Old 12-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Oh and you dont have to pull the whole cluster out to do it.
Once the main bezel is off the dash there is 4(I think) screws that hold the plastic piece over the guages on. Remoe the plastic piece and then the black trim piece has a few screws as well then remove it. From here there should be 2 screws that hold the PRND21 part to the speedo. Remove the screws and pull only the speedometer out . Leave the gear indicator in. Then pull the other guages out as well.
(they can be difficult to pull out you need to wiggle them)
You can acess the lightbulbs from this side as well.

I had led bulbs at first but they didn't have much light sideways which caused a couple Dim spots. I switched to normal red bulbs the 194R bulbs.

If you get a good led they might work as well mine were cheap ones

Old 12-09-2011, 10:09 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Midnite1987
Biggest thing is to TAKE YOUR TIME when scraping the green off...

And make sure you take a pic of your dash with the truck running after a drive(warmed up). Then when your done before you put the needles back on warm the truck up again and put them back in TW same spots in the pic.
I used my gps and cruise controll to get my speedo right.(I know it's not the safest way to do it)
As I have told you before......to reset the speedo, just put it back on the pole, and let it rest on the left hand peg/stopper.....once you turn the ky on, it'll bounce up to it's right position of 0.....

For the rest of the gauges, I just turn the key off, waited like 10 minutes, let the poles go as far to the left as they will (settling) and then I just put them on the E, etc...

Quick Reply: Different colored dash lights