Modular V10 (6.8l)  

2010 V10 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM
jkferreras
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 V10 upgrades

I have a 2010 F-250 with the V10. So far i put a 4" skyjacker lift and 36" mickey thompsons, gear ratio upgraded to 4.88, going to put lockers in soon, custom dual exhaust, and a hypertech chip(switching to mikes in a while after browsing this forum =D). I was wondering if you guys had any ideas/tips i should follow for further upgrades. Headers and air intake suggestions would be great, I had a hard time finding some for my truck year. Throttle body spacers? Also lookin into super/turbo charging. Thanks for looking!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...3/IMG_0514.png

Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
throttle body spacer = open door, throw money on road..

same effect...

u've basicly done just about everything that you can do to that truck in so far as "performance" upgrades. just enjoy it.

headers and a CAI kit wont give you much if anything notciable for the $$$ upgrade over what you have already.

turbo/superchargers arent easily added or good for the motors in this trucks. unless you run really low boost.

basicly ur looking at a truck that weighs well over 6000lbs. its never gunna be "fast".

Old 12-05-2011, 08:23 PM
V10ZILLA
Senior User
What he said. You will never see or feel any real performance gains with Super duty V10. Like you might if you had a V8, and did all those nice things. The V10 is in its on world.

Use your hard earned money and buy some strippers, midgets and ballons and have some fun. I do suggest to switch the turner as you mentioned to 5 star.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:26 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I"d bet it weighs over 8,000 lbs. The best upgrade is the tuner from Mike at 5 star. I have a cat back exhaust and it only helps when towing at high RPM, other wise it's just more noise.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 PM
WestxSRT10
Elder User
You will likely lose power with duel exhaust so beware. 5 Star tune will wake it up!

Old 12-13-2011, 12:05 AM
76Hauler
Elder User
jk, love the small lift and big tires! Awesome truck. I just had a Carli suspension system put on my 09 F350. (www.thecarlisuspension.com) 2.5 King pin top. 4.5" lift with 37's. Did you notice a nice difference after the swap to 4:88's? I have the 5Star 89tune, airaid intake, 3" catback magnaflow.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
jkferreras
New User
Yea I'm going to go with the 5star tuning and air filter combo on their site. Anyone notice any big gains with that air filter? And does the tuner change rev limit and speed limiter? Tire size selection?

Old 01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Originally Posted by jkferreras
I have a 2010 F-250 with the V10. So far i put a 4" skyjacker lift and 36" mickey thompsons, gear ratio upgraded to 4.88, going to put lockers in soon, custom dual exhaust, and a hypertech chip(switching to mikes in a while after browsing this forum =D). I was wondering if you guys had any ideas/tips i should follow for further upgrades. Headers and air intake suggestions would be great, I had a hard time finding some for my truck year. Throttle body spacers? Also lookin into super/turbo charging. Thanks for looking!

pics of your truck any rubbing with the 36's??

Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Rosson03
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow! thats alot! i havent done that much!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yea I'm going to go with the 5star tuning and air filter combo on their site. Anyone notice any big gains with that air filter? And does the tuner change rev limit and speed limiter? Tire size selection?
With tuning the gains are modest with the intake, nothing huge but its there. The speed limiter can be removed or bumped up. No need to touch the rev limiter, its high enough in stock form. The tuner won't adjust the speedo for the tire size, just the shift related stuff for the trans. The dealer can correct the speedo.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 PM
jkferreras
New User
Originally Posted by VONxRUBENxLA
pics of your truck any rubbing with the 36's??
Yea they rub a little bit, once the temperature warms up in Alaska I will do my cutout fender flares to make some room.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:22 PM
MRyanF
Senior User
I have been researching for several years on v10 performance mods. I am on my 3rd v10 now and have tried: headers, exhaust systems, single and dual, and no exhaust systems, with and without cats, gears, tuners, intakes, etc. You name it, I have tried it, save one...

I have not ever Turbo'd one yet, but I am going to change that this year, and am getting parts to do it now. From all my research, this will be a winning combo if done right.

But back on point, I drive all my truck, lifted with tires from 35"-37"s so I know where you are at. And doing all of those things did not make near the difference that I had hoped for every time. That is why I have come to where I am.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Originally Posted by MRyanF
I have been researching for several years on v10 performance mods. I am on my 3rd v10 now and have tried: headers, exhaust systems, single and dual, and no exhaust systems, with and without cats, gears, tuners, intakes, etc. You name it, I have tried it, save one...

I have not ever Turbo'd one yet, but I am going to change that this year, and am getting parts to do it now. From all my research, this will be a winning combo if done right.

But back on point, I drive all my truck, lifted with tires from 35"-37"s so I know where you are at. And doing all of those things did not make near the difference that I had hoped for every time. That is why I have come to where I am.
So you like the V10??

Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM
MRyanF
Senior User
I really do like the v10. I had the 2v in my 2000 Ex, the 3v in my 2006 F250 and now I'm back to the 2v in my 2005 Excursion.

I'd tell you why but then this would become another gas vs diesel thread!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
doofuss
Senior User
Totally sweet lift and tires! I’m becoming the resident front drive shaft sheriff. As it turns out any gas Super duty ’08 or newer, ( 5.4L, 6.8L,or even 6.2L) have large cats that cause interference with the front drive shaft when the truck is lifted. Check your left side cat and tell me what you see. Unless you have either a smaller diameter drive shaft made or put on smaller aftermarket cats, there will be rubbing. On mine there was a counter weight that was eating into not just the shield but the body of the cat. Bashing the cat with a hammer is a nono as it will cause the cat to fail early and in the case of my rig I suspect the bashing caused the rear exhaust manifold stud to snap off from the stress. I got it all replaced under warranty from the dealer since they did the lift in the first place. BTW I’m a big believer in lockers I’ve got em on both my trucks. I know that constant gnawing impulse to turbo/ supercharge things. Sometimes it just won’t go away! That being said don’t even waste anymore time even thinking about it. With therapy and counseling I’m now free of that emotional burden. V-10’s are awesome pretty much even in stock form. Save a little money for things like exhaust stud replacement because you are going to have to do it sooner or later.

Quick Reply: 2010 V10 upgrades