1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Temp Sensor Could Kill You?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:50 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
This is where we disagree. It happens with ALL vehicles, eventually. You either own a vehicle that has stalled on you, or you own a vehicle that will stall on you.

An engine shutting down will not get you killed most of the time. Other drivers have brakes. Most will bounce off of a Super Duty anyway, so no worries.
That is an amazing statement. If you want to put you and your family's safety in the hands of another driver be my guest. It doesn't effect me. I still think you are missing the point but lets just leave it at that.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Snakedriver
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I totally agree with the OP. Its tragic that a part of a truck, boat, car, helicopter, whatever...is spingloaded to the full crash position, regardless of the reason. Its unsettling to know that my truck has a built in fail...Vs. a good old fashion mechanical fail.

As a pilot, or driver, I should have, rather, NEED the option to exceed a limit if in my judgement, that is the best option. IE powering out of an intersection to avoid a collision or pulling enough power to get my helo, crew, and PAX out of harms way.

How dare a somebody tell me that Im not competant to monitor an engine, or that it is more important than my mission (taking kids to school, or extracting soldiers out of some ****hole).

Rant Complete
Leo

Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Nu2deisel
Junior User
Originally Posted by bpounds
I agree that the system is poorly designed, and engines should not simply die because a parameter is out of range.

However, a safe driver only pulls out into traffic when it is safe to do so, even if their vehicle were to fail. It can happen to any vehicle, any time, and it is your responsibility to be sure that oncoming traffic can stop if it happens. You might want to review your driving habits if it really scared you that badly.
I don't believe that I said that it scared me. Where did you come up with that?

My driving record is flawless. I have never caused an accident in over 40 years of driving. I have also avoided many that have come at me.

Granted, vehicles can fail, and when they do, many times people are severely injured and sometimes killed. I don't think it is reasonable to think that a system that increases the odds of that occurring is an OK system, and there is not much way around the fact that this system increases the odds.

This is where we disagree. It happens with ALL vehicles, eventually. You either own a vehicle that has stalled on you, or you own a vehicle that will stall on you.

An engine shutting down will not get you killed most of the time. Other drivers have brakes. Most will bounce off of a Super Duty anyway, so no worries.
What a ludicrous statement. It's OK that it will only get you killed some of the time?????? Last time I checked, once is all it takes.

Now, as to all vehicles stalling sooner or later, that is most likely true. that is why I get rid of them before they get old enough for that to come to pass. I have never had a vehicle quit the way this one did, and I have owned many and driven even more.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Nu2deisel
Junior User
Well, you're not dead, or injured, and your truck isn't wrecked.

I am pretty sure most of us have had vehicles that stopped running unexpectedly, for various reasons. It happens to the best of them. No vehicle is 100% reliable.

So, pardon me if I offend you, but we can do without the drama.
I don't see what drama you are talking about.

All vehicles are subject to safety standards. Safety lackings are the primary subject of mandatory recalls in this country. Why, because driving is dangerous in and of itself, and if a safety feature can be designed into a vehicle, it doesn't make sense not to do it.

In this case, a danger factor is designed into the system, and it wouldn't take much to avoid the danger with a little common sense.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:07 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Electronics can fail at any time. I cannot think of few vehicles without them in the last 20 years. If its not an exhaust sensor, it could very well be one of the multiplex computers that control the other systems on the truck that shut it down. As long as their is an EPA, you can guarantee that electronics will get more and more complicated. For example, at any time, the air bag sensor could go bad and break someones nose. It is a sad reality.

The engine monitoring safety systems have been used in larger diesel applications since the early 90's and added the egt/egr sensors around the turn of this century. Some of the first ones that i dealt with had constant issues causing shutdowns. These were professional drivers pulling 80k lbs at times that dealt with similar shutdowns.I had a man get caught 40 feet in the air in a truck (another manufacturer) 2 weeks ago b/c a turbo speed sensor failure shut the truck down. He recranked it from the bucket remote start and let himself down. However, he had two other b/u systems to get down should it have not restarted. It shut off again on him going back to his work location.

Back in the day, if we monitored all the systems we monitor now, we could have 10 miles of wire if all stretched end to end. Now, we have multiplex where I can send lots of information from engine sensors down a can system that consists of 2 wires. I may have 20 wires feeding the info into a computer but all that information travels to the next computer on 2 wires usually. On one vehicle I used to work on, we went from 26 miles of wire to less than 5 with the introduction of multiplex. Any failure by a multiplex module will result in improper/erratic/no vehicle operation. Your new truck uses it too.

Ford has adopted the same system used for years on larger diesels as a safety measure to keep you from costing yourself an expensive repair later on down the road or to save the truck. In this case, the exhaust temp could catch the truck on fire or damage the engine. If it merely threw a light/message and you choose to ignore it, the computer logs how long in time that code was active before the truck quit measuring it. It could stop measuring it b/c u shut it down, it shut itself down, or it burned to the ground. If it had been eliminated any length of time and you had ignored it, then Ford could use that against you at warranty time. Same as the wax plug in the freeze plug that melts out when u run an engine hot.

Unfortunately, in the OP case, there were no messages and the sensor sounds like it went straight to ground and shut the truck down. I have only heard of one other truck in this area doing that since 2008 and they have a LOT of hours on them. We do get warnings sometimes on them but they rarely shut down without one.

Oem parts are constantly being "upgraded" to be cheaper or better or whatever they decided that day. Its possible that maybe your sensor is a redesigned (or 1st design) sensor for your MY that contributed to the abrupt failure. I remember having a lot of failures with 08 trucks on the exhaust sensors when we first got them. Its a lot rarer now. Trucks like mine have several updates on the CPS alone and some have been better than others. The end result was the same cutting off unexpectedly.

Electronics/egrs/high exhaust temps have become a necessity on diesels to meet stringent epa regulations and there is few things we can do about but deal with it because its only going to get tougher as the years progress. Unfortunately some of these same safety systems that cut the truck off are having to be factored in to keep from burning the trucks up.

I am glad you were not hurt. I do not think you can convince Ford or anyone else that the system is a design flaw since just about every manufacturer with an exhaust aftertreatment system will have the same engine cutoff at XXXX degrees. But you may convince them their sensor has a flaw as built. You can guarantee that if Ford sees a lot of the same types of failures, especially in their large fleet customers ( i say that b/c we usually push a truck to the limit and break it b4 the avg person), they will not only redesign that sensor but could possibly issue a recall. Usually, it will be a redesign though and replaced on an as fail basis in my experience, unless its rampant. They could also issue a reflash that will let the truck run for say 60 seconds (some preset time) once it does hit the exhaust temp threshold. I have seen that on some larger trucks that would tell you its gonna stop if you do not stop. However, i think had u actually overheated the exhaust, you would have seen that warning before it actually cut off. That is the way the 08 models do before they cutoff on the one DPF failure I have seen.

Kiss your loved ones and thank your divine entity for looking out for you. Its never a good feeling to have one cut off, especially a new one but it happens all the time with every manufacturer. However, Log your complaint and let them know they may have an issue. Complaints and failures analysis are the only way they can keep track of emerging trends with their trucks. They have people keeping track of what they are paying for under warranty. Be professional about it, you may see a remedy if there is a large # of them having the same type of failure.

And, stay safe out there. If its a sensor design flaw, it could happen again at about the same interval if its breaking down b/c of heat or slightly damaged during the install. It is also possible that the sensor they installed to replace the original is already a redesign but that would be a dealer question.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 AM
XB70
Elder User
Three pages and nobody died?

That's right. Nobody died. The exhaust temperature sender didn't kill anybody.

OMG, what if the UPS driver carrying the replacement sender is killed in a traffic accident? What if some poor worker in the plant that manufacturers senders gets crushed by machinery because he stayed overtime to make your replacement sender? What if the parts guys has a heart attack while handing the replacement sender to the mechanic to put on your truck?

NOTHING HAPPENED, YOU HAVE NO CAUSE OF ACTION, STOP WHINING. IF YOUR TRUCK STALLS FOR WHATEVER REASON AND YOUR PRECIOUS FAMILY GETS KILLED IN REAR END TRAFFIC COLLISION YOUR HEIRS CAN SUE THE HEIRS OF THE GUY THAT HIT YOUR TRUCK.

What if every Superduty customer was like the OP? Ford would be in the greeting card business with a $billion of liability insurance for paper cuts.....I can't wait for the OP to sue Ford after wrenching his back loading his pick up truck. Why is the load bed so high?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 AM
callmebobvilla
Junior User
The drive by wire system in our diesels has three potentiometers. If one reads out of a certain range of the other two, you get a warning and just fix the pot. If two go down, the system shuts down. Seems like something could be done with these EGT sensors as well.

Even though the three sensors read at three different locations in the exhaust stream, if two are at 600 and the last is at 2200, thermodynamics indicates a faulty sensor, not a superheated jetstream in the vicinity of the last sensor.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:02 AM
F250CCowner
Senior User
Originally Posted by XB70

OMG, what if the UPS driver carrying the replacement sender is killed in a traffic accident? What if some poor worker in the plant that manufacturers senders gets crushed by machinery because he stayed overtime to make your replacement sender? What if the parts guys has a heart attack while handing the replacement sender to the mechanic to put on your truck?

NOTHING HAPPENED, YOU HAVE NO CAUSE OF ACTION, STOP WHINING. IF YOUR TRUCK STALLS FOR WHATEVER REASON AND YOUR PRECIOUS FAMILY GETS KILLED IN REAR END TRAFFIC COLLISION YOUR HEIRS CAN SUE THE HEIRS OF THE GUY THAT HIT YOUR TRUCK.

What if every Superduty customer was like the OP? Ford would be in the greeting card business with a $billion of liability insurance for paper cuts.....I can't wait for the OP to sue Ford after wrenching his back loading his pick up truck. Why is the load bed so high?
You need reread the OP's post. He isn't saying he is filing suit, he is simply saying there is a problem ford should address BEFORE someone gets hurt. It is a dumb system if it shuts down and leaves you stranded instead of going into a limp mode or even a warning system to get you to the side of the road or out of potential danger if that be the case. The roads are unpredictable and being so everything a manufacture installs in a truck nowadays in our litigous nation needs to have it's basis on safety and shutting down without any warning is dangerouns not only for the OP but anyone around him if it does it when he is on the road. That is just plain common sense.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
R U Frigging kidding me

Stop Whining????????????????????

Guy comes on to post about what could be a real potential problem and you say stop whining??????

If you don't feel that the post warrants your attention then quit reading but don't discourage the sharing of information.

Yes any vehicle can shut down on you if a component fails, life is not perfect.

Problem here is that the system is designed to perform a complete shutdown on purpose whether you want it to or not. I personly prefer the option to fry my motor and drive out of harms way if I so decide.

Momma always said if you don't have something nice to say then SHUT YOUR TRAP(actually she would never talk that way but you get the idea)

Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Considering that 2,200°F is hot enough to melt through an exhaust manifold, which is directed toward the valley on this engine, and could conceivably start a fire, perhaps Ford considers immediate shutdown a safety measure.

I still think a few seconds of warning should be displayed to let you take appropriate operator measures.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krewat
Subscribed...
You know, under Thread Tools there is a subscribe button.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a good friend with a Cummins powered diesel pusher motorhome. It will do the same thing. Try being in a 40' motorhome heading up an overpass with no shoulders and have this happen.
JL

Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 PM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by F250CCowner
You need reread the OP's post. He isn't saying he is filing suit, he is simply saying there is a problem ford should address BEFORE someone gets hurt. It is a dumb system if it shuts down and leaves you stranded instead of going into a limp mode or even a warning system to get you to the side of the road or out of potential danger if that be the case. The roads are unpredictable and being so everything a manufacture installs in a truck nowadays in our litigious nation needs to have it's basis on safety and shutting down without any warning is dangerous not only for the OP but anyone around him if it does it when he is on the road. That is just plain common sense.
I never wrote the OP is suing.

The fact is the OP is whining about his truck stalling on the road. How many vehicles stall on U.S. roads everyday 10? 20? 100? 1,000? Wanna bet it's more like 10,000? After all, what are all those tow trucks for?

How many people die every day because their vehicles stalled? 1? 2? It sure in hell isn't 10,000 or 1,000 or 500 or 100 or even 20. If it were, every manufacturer would build vehicles with redundant systems approaching space shuttle reliability. Wait. How many space shuttles blew up and scattered bits of astronaut meat across the U.S. and Atlantic ocean?

The fact is not enough people die as a result of vehicles stalling to warrant Ford or any manufacturer to build 100.00% reliable and safe $450,000 trucks. THE NUMBER STALLS RESULTING FROM FAULTY EXHAUST TEMP SENDERS COMPARED TO ALL REASONS FOR STALLS ARE AN EXTREMELY SMALL PERCENTAGE OF AN ALREADY STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT NUMBER.

The number of people who dies or are injured as a result of vehicle stalls are STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT. That's the only thing that matters.. As long as the number is STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT manufacturers will wait for the occasional lawsuit and write the occasional big fat check because the occasional big fat check is cheaper than designing and building a 100.00% safe vehicle that's too expensive to sell. I own a 6.0. According to most, the 6.0 is extremely unreliable and can and does stop running anywhere and anytime. It's why Ford designed and built the 6.7. If stalling were dangerous, where are the threads for 6.0 driver funerals? All of us 6.0 drivers should be dead or in wheelchairs.

Meanwhile, the OP is mad because it's his but and his precious family's butts that he thinks will be rear ended when his trucks. The FACT is that it's only he who believes his and his family's butts are precious. To Ford and everyone else, those precious butts are STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT and their squishing, breaking and roasting in a possible rear-ender isn't worth anything statistically speaking. The OP's family is an acceptable potential loss to Ford.

Learn to live with it or start walking. After all, a pedestrian can't get by a stalled Ford truck. Unless, of course the pedestrian is drunk and smashes into the truck. Then, we can all whine about what injuries Ford's bumper caused.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:16 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
I never wrote the OP is suing.

The fact is the OP is whining about his truck stalling on the road. How many vehicles stall on U.S. roads everyday 10? 20? 100? 1,000? Wanna bet it's more like 10,000? After all, what are all those tow trucks for?

How many people die every day because their vehicles stalled? 1? 2? It sure in hell isn't 10,000 or 1,000 or 500 or 100 or even 20. If it were, every manufacturer would build vehicles with redundant systems approaching space shuttle reliability. Wait. How many space shuttles blew up and scattered bits of astronaut meat across the U.S. and Atlantic ocean?

The fact is not enough people die as a result of vehicles stalling to warrant Ford or any manufacturer to build 100.00% reliable and safe $450,000 trucks.

The number of people who dies or are injured as a result of vehicle stalls are STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT. That's the only thing that matters.. As long as the number is STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT manufacturers will wait for the occasional lawsuit and write the occasional big fat check because the occasional big fat check is cheaper than designing and building a 100.00% safe vehicle that's too expensive to sell.

Meanwhile, the OP is mad because it's his but and his precious family's butts that he thinks will be rear ended when his trucks. The FACT is that it's only he who believes his and his family's butts are precious. To Ford and everyone else, those precious butts are STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT and their squishing, breaking and roasting in a possible rear-ender isn't worth anything statistically speaking. The OP's family is an acceptable loss to Ford.

Learn to live with it or start walking. After all, a pedestrian can't get by a stalled Ford truck. Unless, of course the pedestrian is drunk and smashes into the truck. Then, we can all whine about what injuries Ford's bumper caused.

It is amazing to me that you are so sure of something you have zero proof or statistics of. By the way Ford and you may feel this way "To Ford and everyone else, those precious butts are STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT and their squishing, breaking and roasting in a possible rear-ender isn't worth anything statistically speaking" but I sure don't. The loss of human life is never something I joke about. It seems like a lot of the threads you inject yourself into you do so to get a reaction out of people or maybe you are just angry with the world. I don't know but your post is out of line and not needed. Not because you disagree but because you do so in a way that is inflammatory.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:32 PM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by F250CCowner
It is amazing to me that you are so sure of something you have zero proof or statistics of. By the way Ford may feel this way "To Ford and everyone else, those precious butts are STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT and their squishing, breaking and roasting in a possible rear-ender isn't worth anything statistically speaking" but I sure don't. The loss of human life is never something I joke about. It seems like a lot of the threads you inject yourself into you do so to get a reaction out of people or maybe you are just angry with the world. I don't know but your post is out of line and not needed. Not because you disagree but because you do so in a way that is inflammatory.
You really need to get off your high horse. Use a ladder. Everything you or I do is subject to some level of risk. Every manufactured good brings some level of danger with it. Cars, boats, trains, buildings, kites, and baby food all have some level of risk associated with them.

That level of risk is either socially acceptable or not. Acceptability is determined by the number of deaths or injuries.

THE FACT THAT VEHICLES STALL EVERYDAY AND ARE STILL BEING MANUFACTURED MEANS THE LEVEL OF RISK IS ACCEPTABLE.

My posts are more factual than your soppy baseless emotional posts.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Temp Sensor Could Kill You?