1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Temp Sensor Could Kill You?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:10 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you should file a complaint with the NHTSA - Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) - if they get enough, they'll open an investigation.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Subscribed...

Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Would be much better to have it go into "limp mode" or something rather than just shut down.

I drive an International truck for work, once in a while it gets a little low on coolant. The warning light come on and an alarm goes off, then it shuts down. Did it to me once while I was going around a corner and it just about caused an accident because I lost power steering. It doesn't even need to be running hot, just a little low on coolant. I understand wanting to protect the engine, but at least let me pull over to a safe place instead of just shutting the engine down.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Does anyone else think that a system that shut you down with no regard to where you are in traffic is a safety nightmare at best? I mean, what if there had been a large truck barreling down on me when it happened, or what if I were negotiating an S curve at high speed on the highway?
Yes highly stupid IMO, especially when you consider that fact that a sensor can fail. If they are going to program the truck to shut off like that they should have an extra sensor or some redundency in case of a sensor failure.

From a legal standpoint if you would have gotten hit by another vehicle or hurt your insurance company and/or attorney could easily go after Ford for compensation.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's messed up.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Nu2deisel
Junior User
Originally Posted by redford
This is why there are warranties.
Warranty doesn't do you any good if you're dead or severely injured.

Originally Posted by Ian123
I would try to contact someone at Ford if that's at all possible. Like you said, if this happened to someone in the wrong place at the wrong time they could end up dead. I guess that's what it will take for Ford to change it.
I would, but I don't have any idea where to start.

Originally Posted by XB70
If 2,200F shuts off the engine, an EGT of 2,199F on a 2011 O.K.?
I don't know what temp shut it off, I just know what the last reading was.

Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Per my understanding the sensor malfunctioned in split second. Would that be actual engine overheat, getting to 2200 F would take time and you'd get warning, but evidently the software was programmed to shut off the engine at 2200 and it did what it was programmed for. Rare failure and that is probably why programmers didn't make back up program for it.
Welcome to the digital World
No, not a rare failure. As I said, I was told that they had been seeing several of these. Either way though, this is a life endangering design flaw, and we really can't excuse that no matter how few might be maimed or killed, can we?

Originally Posted by carltonwebb
A lot of manufacturers set their trucks to cut off in instances when a sensor detects vehicle killers. Usually those are coolant temp, coolant level, oil temp/level/psi, turbo speed and here lately exhaust temp. My first experience with the exh temp was in a 40 ft detroit diesel powered bus loaded with passengers and it cut off going up a hill. Some of these parameters can be adjusted to just throw a light but most fleets want the vehicle cut off to prevent driver from killing it. I think Ford does it for the same reason to save the engine and to prevent setting the carpet on fire if the exhaust was 2200 degrees. . Usually u get a warning first and then it will reduce power to allow you get off the road. In your case, the sensor fried and instantaneously hit the threshold to disable the truck.
Fortunately, you were not hurt and was able to get it fixed.
No warning, and not even enough time running to do so.

Originally Posted by dkf
Yes highly stupid IMO, especially when you consider that fact that a sensor can fail. If they are going to program the truck to shut off like that they should have an extra sensor or some redundency in case of a sensor failure.

From a legal standpoint if you would have gotten hit by another vehicle or hurt your insurance company and/or attorney could easily go after Ford for compensation.

I think that redundancy is indeed the issue here as well, but even then, I would prefer to take a chance on the bed of the truck catching fire than to be broadsided by a semi because the motor shuts down while pulling out onto a highway.

As to compensation, I much prefer to be unharmed than to be compensated for the ruin of my life and limb.

Thank you all for your input, and please all of you that have one of these please, be aware that this can happen. Knowing this might save your life.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Snakedriver
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I pick mine up in a week. Im begining to wish I hadnt sold my 7.3!

I flew Blackhawks in the Army...And they were EGT Limited as well! Both engines would shut down if they started to cook. I never understood this logic.

So you got 2 good engines, but one busted up helo and up to 20 dead GIs.

The helo I fly now, on the civil side will only shut one down...a little better logic.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Nu2deisel
Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic that was unable to avoid smashing me so I dodged the bullet this time.
I agree that the system is poorly designed, and engines should not simply die because a parameter is out of range.

However, a safe driver only pulls out into traffic when it is safe to do so, even if their vehicle were to fail. It can happen to any vehicle, any time, and it is your responsibility to be sure that oncoming traffic can stop if it happens. You might want to review your driving habits if it really scared you that badly.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:10 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Definately don't want to hurt the motor but a flashing warning light to get you to back off the throttle seems like it would be a better idea than killing the engine on you no matter where you are
imagine tow 10K plus down a grade and the engine decides its too hot and shuts down, this would be close to a worse case situation, it would not end well...

Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
Originally Posted by bpounds
I agree that the system is poorly designed, and engines should not simply die because a parameter is out of range.

However, a safe driver only pulls out into traffic when it is safe to do so, even if their vehicle were to fail. It can happen to any vehicle, any time, and it is your responsibility to be sure that oncoming traffic can stop if it happens. You might want to review your driving habits if it really scared you that badly.
Okay, how would your superior driving habits prepare you for a failure towing down a grade, even at under 55mph without steering or brakes would be precarious...but based on your logic, i better make sure there is a turn out when the sensor fails, that shouldn't be too tough, LOL!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:29 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by HuntsDucks70
Okay, how would your superior driving habits prepare you for a failure towing down a grade, even at under 55mph without steering or brakes would be precarious...but based on your logic, i better make sure there is a turn out when the sensor fails, that shouldn't be too tough, LOL!
You might wish to reread my first sentence.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't overheat the engine going downhill and even if the sensor malfunction will kill the fuel -the engine will keep on turning pushed by the truck weight. At least on my manual it will, so I always have PS and brakes. Automatics per my knowledge at high speed will be turning the engine as well, so that failure is unlikely.
Than engine can choke or die for several reasons. How we deal with it, is the matter of practice and wisdom.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:37 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by Nu2deisel
Warranty doesn't do you any good if you're dead or severely injured.
Well, you're not dead, or injured, and your truck isn't wrecked.

I am pretty sure most of us have had vehicles that stopped running unexpectedly, for various reasons. It happens to the best of them. No vehicle is 100% reliable.

So, pardon me if I offend you, but we can do without the drama.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
Originally Posted by bpounds

Someone has watched Scanners one to many times. That logic is silly and how does one know what they are thinking or if they are not on their phone or texting. Come on you live in CA you know they way people drive here. Even if he was to pull out safely and his truck suddenly stops running because of a faulty system he can't predict what another driver will do. Nobody can.

"Well, you're not dead, or injured, and your truck isn't wrecked.

I am pretty sure most of us have had vehicles that stopped running unexpectedly, for various reasons. It happens to the best of them. No vehicle is 100% reliable.

So, pardon me if I offend you, but we can do without the drama."

I don't think the OP was complaining about the warranty not covering it he was complaining about the fact that it is a foolish safeguard that can get someone killed. Yes he got lucky but he shouldn't need to rely on luck if someone at Ford uses common sense when designing the system. I think that is what the OP is saying.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by F250CCowner

Shouldn't be happening to a brand new truck but that is beside the point. He wasn't complaining about the warranty not covering it he was complaining about the fact that it is a foolish safeguard that can get someone killed. Yes he got lucky but he shouldn't need to rely on luck if someone at Ford uses common sense when designing the system. I think that is what the OP is saying.
This is where we disagree. It happens with ALL vehicles, eventually. You either own a vehicle that has stalled on you, or you own a vehicle that will stall on you.

An engine shutting down will not get you killed most of the time. Other drivers have brakes. Most will bounce off of a Super Duty anyway, so no worries.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Temp Sensor Could Kill You?