Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Ford-Trucks Editors
Host
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's New Police Explorer and Crown Vic

Check out Ford's two new police vehicles:

Hot Fuzz: The All-New Ford Police Interceptor Police Utility Truck .: Articles

Pretty tough, huh? What's the baddest police vehicle you've ever encountered?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ford-Trucks Editors
The one that's behind me with their lights on...

Old 12-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It's not a Crown Vic, it's a Taurus.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
AWD complicated drivetrain + heavy duty police service, pursuits, running over curbs at speed, = Lots of shop time.

Better keep some Crown Vics ready and waiting.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
AWD complicated drivetrain + heavy duty police service, pursuits, running over curbs at speed, = Lots of shop time.

Better keep some Crown Vics ready and waiting.
Hopefully and I emphasize Hopefully, Ford thoroughly addressed these issues that commonly happen with LE vehicles. The AWD, if they hold up will be a huge traction improvement in the snow belt, though they will be more expensive to maintain.

My 83 year old uncle just bought a Taurus SHO and claims it's the fastest car he's ever driven.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ford-Trucks Editors
A Sherriff in the deserts of west Texas got me a few months back in a .... Raptor

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Dean88
A Sherriff in the deserts of west Texas got me a few months back in a .... Raptor

Well ain't that bitter sweet?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:25 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1969 CHP Dodge Polara, a pre-unleaded high compression 440ci monster. My also high-compression 'Vette-engined '65 Impala was no match, not even close.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
tigertail222
New User
A pair of nasty looking machines!!, and the power to kick anyones but!! Hi fives to Ford for this pair.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Redrocket9.0
Senior User
I drive a Vortec blown New Edge Stang from time to time. It's our agencies grant/toy car. Most people dont seem to mind getting a ticket while listening to the blower whine

Anyway, I really like the idea of the awd dual turbo interceptor, but I know that wont be the norm. It would be awsome in our county due to being 80% gravel roads in the snowbelt. Im not a fan of the fwd only option though. Dont get me wrong, I love my fusion, but I would never trust it to stand up to the torture I can put a Vic through.

I REALLY wish Ford would listen to the people and Import the Falcon. Its not AWD, but its successful down under, and thats good enough in my book.

Here's some pics to whet your appetites.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Redrocket9.0
Senior User
For those that are unfamiliar with the falcon (some don't even know it exists) I sourced this little tid-bit from wikipedia-Australia.

Main article: Ford FG Falcon
The seventh generation Falcon, known as the FG, was announced at a press event on 17 February 2008. The FG moniker references the now discontinued Fairmont Ghia. The longstanding Futura and Fairmont models have been discontinued, having been replaced by the G6 and G6E models respectively. The Fairmont V8 has been replaced by the G6E Turbo.
The inline six-cylinder engine received a power upgrade of 5 kilowatts (6.7 hp) and 8 newton metres (5.9 lb·ft) to 195 kilowatts (261 hp) at 6000 rpm/391 newton metres (288 lb·ft) at 3250 rpm. The engine can also use 95 RON fuel, adding 3 kilowatts (4.0 hp) and 18 newton metres (13 lb·ft), a figure higher again on 98 RON fuel where certain sources would claim 420Nm of torque and 208 kW on RON98 petrol. The turbocharged engine used in the XR6 Turbo and G6E Turbo models produces (270 kilowatts (360 hp) and 533 newton metres (393 lb·ft)). The power output of is similar to previous FPV turbos, but it is a substantially modified design: the new induction system which includes a bigger and more efficient intercooler, higher compression ratio, extra boost and strengthened internals are the key changes. The XT, G6 and G6E also have an E-Gas (LPG) option. The engine continues to use a similar VCT system as its BA/BF predecessors. Fuel consumption has been improved over the outgoing model. The XR6 Turbo received MOTOR magazine's Bang for your Buck 2008 award.
The FG adds a "Virtual-Pivot" system to the front suspension designed to improve levels of steering, handling and turn-in; and complements Ford's Control-Blade IRS system first introduced on the BA Falcon in 2002.
In an unprecidented move, at the 2008 introduction of the FG Falcon, the XR8 was the only V8 model available. The 5.4-litre V8 (which dated back to the 1990's) produced 290 kilowatts (390 hp)/520 newton metres (380 lb·ft). In June 2010, new emissions regualtions introduced meant that the iconic V8 engine had to be discontinued. Ford phased this out quietly; motoring journals and magazines did not even report on it. As of now, Ford offers no V8 on any of its model lines. However, at the time the V8 was phased out, Ford's performance subsidiary, FPV, introduced a Ford America sourced V8, the 5.0 litre coyote (as used in the Mustang). Prodrive specifically developed the engine in Australia to FPV's own standards (read below). A new FPV model, the GS, was released to "plug the hole" between the XR6 Turbo and the higer level (and price) FPV V8 models when the XR8 was phased put. The GS is an entry point to FPV, taking many of the sales that would have been destined for the former Ford XR8.
There is a possibility that the same 5.0 coyote engine will be introduced in the 2012 Falcon, along with the new range of EcoBoost engines. Ford Australia general marketing manager David Katich hinted at a V8 Falcon model range to combat Holden's SS, SS-V and Calais-V model ranges. This would mark a return of a V8 to Ford's line up after an absence of over 2 years. The engine would be de-tuned, possibly appearing without the supercharger, and producing anywhere between 270-300kw.
The 5.0 litre 'modular V8' engine is currently the Ford Performance Vehicles' V8 engine, released in June 2010. Initially two versions were released, one rated at 315 kilowatts (422 hp) and 545 newton metres (402 lb·ft) of torque and the other at 335 kilowatts (449 hp) and 570 newton metres (420 lb·ft) of torque. Both engines carry the 'Boss' moniker, with the 315 kW version dubbed the "Boss 315", and the more powerful version dubbed the "Boss 335".
In 2010 Ford Australia celebrated 50 years of continuous Falcon production, from 1960 to date. A special XR50 model was released to commemorate the occasion. The commemorative model marked the start of the FG update.
The first update to the FG model was released in the second-half of 2010. Unlike in previous generations such as the BA and BF where a minor model update was referred to as "Mk II", Ford have instead labelled all cars made after October 2010 with the "FG Update" label. The update adds several small interior elements as standard to all vehicles. iPod Integration and Bluetooth are now standard across the range and the popular ZF 6-speed Gearbox has also been made standard across the range, spelling the end of the 4 and 5 speed variants. Other changes included an alternative wheel rim design and new floor mat and side step designs. Curtain Airbags have remained as a $300 optional extra.
A new liquid-injection LPG engine (EcoLPi) was introduced in second-half of 2011. It provides superior performance and fuel economy compared to the previous E-gas LPG engine.
The FG Falcon was the first Australian manufactured car to achieve five stars in the independent ANCAP crash safety testing. It achieved a score of 34.6 out of 37.
Future changes

It was announced in mid-2009 that Ford would begin production of a direct-injection, turbocharged four-cylinder "Ecoboost" version of the Falcon; it will be the first rear wheel drive application of Ford's new EcoBoost engine, and will begin production in 2012. The new EcoBoost engine debuted in February 2011 in the Volvo XC60 and S60. It is expected that the same engine will be used in the EcoBoost Falcon.
In 2016 the Falcon may be replaced by a large car platform that is to be built for all world markets, which could be either a global rear wheel drive platform (shared with Mustang) or a transverse front wheel drive platform (shared with Mondeo and Taurus), a decision on that will be made in 2012. Ford's European design head Martin Smith has pointed out the Taurus platform could not be a true replacement for the rear drive Falcon, and Ford Australia chief Marin Burela has stated that no decision has been made on Falcon, and its future for now is safe, and the Falcon could share its platform with other rear wheel drive Fords, like Mustang. This was confirmed by Ford CEO Alan Mulally. The Taurus is a much heavier car than the Falcon, which hampers performance and fuel economy.

Falcon utility

2005–2006 Ford BF Falcon XR6 Turbo utility

The Australian affection for the ute (short for "utility") allowed the Falcon to serve as the base model for their line of utes and panel vans, starting in 1961 and gaining rapid recognition by (usually younger) enthusiasts by the mid-1960s. As the base sedan and station wagon models of the Falcon further evolved, so too did the ute and panel van models, although usually up to a year or so after initial release into the market. The only exception was the XF series, which lasted through the initial EA26 era. While EA26 ute prototypes were actually built, the XF shell continued through to the 1998 release of the AU model, in 1996 gaining the nose treatment of the then current EF series Falcon, with a combination of XF and E-Series Interiors. Low Series XH utes did not have airbags, for example.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Redrocket9.0
Senior User
Sorry about the huge pics. I tried several times to get smaller ones to work but I guess Im not smart enough.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Redrocket9.0
Senior User
goodcarbadcar.net also makes a valid point.

The upcoming demise of the Ford Crown Victoria and thus its role as a taxicab and police pursuit vehicle will see Ford replacing the Crown Victoria Interceptor in 2011, Ford announced today. Fuel economy, durability, safety, and performance are categories in which, Ford says, improvements will bemade over the Crown Victoria. For those not familiar with the current Ford police package, it rests on a vehicle which underwent its first facelift and engineering changes sometime during Taft's presidency. Of course, the Crown Victoria was the only car big enough to accomodate William Howard Taft.

Ford Announces Interceptor Will Be Taurus

All kidding aside, the Crown Victoria remains a beloved car in many police circles, at least the circles in which nobody was involved in a rear-end collision with an exploding Crown Vic. Ford's promise to efficiently phase out the Crown Victoria while phasing in a new police car inspires plenty of speculation in the automotive world.

Check out February 2010's GCBC post on the
Top 5 Unconventional Police Car Choices

Curious, isn't it, that so much of this speculation comes from people who love to drive fast cars fast? What, we care about which vehicles pull us over? Apparently. The Police section of GoodCarBadCar.net is one of this site's most popular zones. Regardless, the car you see pictured here is the Aussie-built Ford Falcon XR8 Police vehicle. The Falcon's one of those cars North American auto enthusiasts really want to see for sale here. You know the kind, like the Pontiac GTO (nee Holden Monaro) or the Pontiac G8 (nee Holden Commodore), both of which are classified in the "nobody bought them" classification. Regardless, the Falcon is certainly coolish and, with its rear-wheel drivetrain, is likely pleasing to the ears of cops.

Yet the new Ford Taurus is capacious in both the cabin and the trunk. And Ford boss Mark Fields did say this new car would be engineered in the USA. If that's going to be the Falcon, it'll be reengineered, and that could be what Fields meant.

After a few days with the Taurus last week, it seems to me that the Taurus would be a perfect police car. No police force is going to receive another body-on-frame package like the Crown Victoria so they might as well stop whining about its rugged nature. Though rear-wheel drive is great for a good many, it's not useful to have cops stuck on steep roads in the northern states or in Canada. Plus, the Taurus can be had in wicked fast SHO form, a perfect highway patrol chase car. And again, there's the roomy factor. In both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive formats, the Taurus could be one sublime Interceptor, a perfect alternative to GM's new Chevy Caprice PPV and perhaps a nice mainstream mainstay to put Carbon Motors out of business.

We shall see. One way or another, expect Ford to put up quite a fight. Dearborn's own sells between 45,000-60,000 Interceptors each year - about 75% of the market. That's revenue no automaker would want to lose.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:05 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
We've got five new CVPIs and those will be the last. The Virginia State Police has a couple of the new Interceptors they are testing in Northern Virginia and the Tidewater areas. I like the thought of the AWD and EcoBoost but I'm concerned about longevity, suspension, steering components, and a few other items. I'm not completely sold on the Explorer either but I'm hoping it turns out to be ultra reliable.

For us, it's looking like Chargers will be our future replacements. The Chief has a new Caprice and while it's a great car with respect to power, acceleration, and handling, the fuel mileage is abysmal.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:35 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
We've got five new CVPIs and those will be the last. The Virginia State Police has a couple of the new Interceptors they are testing in Northern Virginia and the Tidewater areas. I like the thought of the AWD and EcoBoost but I'm concerned about longevity, suspension, steering components, and a few other items. I'm not completely sold on the Explorer either but I'm hoping it turns out to be ultra reliable.

For us, it's looking like Chargers will be our future replacements. The Chief has a new Caprice and while it's a great car with respect to power, acceleration, and handling, the fuel mileage is abysmal.
I haven't seen any around here but I know I will be giddy as a kid at Toys R Us when I do.

Quick Reply: Ford's New Police Explorer and Crown Vic