6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

tuners

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 AM
sick_pup8888
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation tuners

has anyone installed the Edge Juice tuner, if so did you change your exhaust as well. I have a good friend who has an 08 F350, installed the above and his mpg went from 14 to 18, any thoughts.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 PM
1TDI4Me
New User
My tuner is an Edge Race Evolution. After the DPF fell off and the programmer added I went from 10.5 to 14.8 mpg. If I had 14 mpg from the factory I would have left it alone. I strain at the thought of anyone getting 18 from a F350. An F250 2wd with 3.55 gears... yes, possibly. Bottom line is that the 6.4 is a thirsty beast.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:01 PM
sick_pup8888
New User
so you gained 4.3 mpg yourself, why would you strain at the thought of an F350 doing the same, would a tuner and the right exhaust not help in that, and driving your vehicle the right way, I had a 06 kingranch and i added the bullydog and went from 16.5 to 21 on interstate, all i did was run the tuner on extreme, Tried it on the 09 F250 and it made the mpg worse.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1TDI4Me
If I had 14 mpg from the factory I would have left it alone.
I call BS, you would be wanting 18 and you know it.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:03 PM
sick_pup8888
New User
smotrs, what do you get, im looking at your set up that you have posted, What are your thoughts about the 6 gun and your dual exhaust,,,,,,,what kind of mpg are you seeing?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:10 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
I like it, I'm currently running the Automind tuner from Banks with the Six-Gun on the stock setting. For mileage, I've averaged 10-11 when it was only city driving, 13-15 when it was mixed and 18-20 when it's hwy driving only, literally station to station.

I've got the intake system and the dual exhaust. Both are very clean installs and look very well done. I have the 4in exhaust system as that's what they had at the time. They now have a 4in and 5in system available.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:07 AM
auriferous
Senior User

DPF/EGR Removal

Has anyone continued to run the Banks 6 gun after removing the Dpf and deleting the EGr? or specifically can you?

Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
By itself, Banks doesn't support removal of the DPF. However, you can purchase something like the DPF-R+ to disable the regen function and get the full benefits of the Six-Gun or Automind without the restriction.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:30 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
The additional benefit is that both tuners are DPF friendly tuners in that they produce less soot then stock. As such, going that route would result in a vehicle that doesn't emit much soot in a delete state. Which is definitely a plus in my opinion when you compare to the others.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 AM
auriferous
Senior User

Thanks, I need to take a look at the options .Banks has a delete program ? or is this an additional program ?I just put the 6 gun on 3 wks ago and am more than pleased with the power but would like to be proactive about keepin her cool and running long .I don't really expect much more than the 12-14 mpg around town i'm getting now but when I tow a hauler [6,000 lbs] on vaca I'm hoping to see 16-18 mpg .have yet to vacation with it.do you have a 3.73 rear end? what mpg do you see on the hwy?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I would be around 11-13 with the hauler myself.

I recently did a turn and burn out to CO and back and that is what I averaged. Took a car out and brought a trailer back.

6 days and 3300 miles.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by auriferous
Thanks, I need to take a look at the options .Banks has a delete program ? or is this an additional program ?I just put the 6 gun on 3 wks ago and am more than pleased with the power but would like to be proactive about keepin her cool and running long .I don't really expect much more than the 12-14 mpg around town i'm getting now but when I tow a hauler [6,000 lbs] on vaca I'm hoping to see 16-18 mpg .have yet to vacation with it.do you have a 3.73 rear end? what mpg do you see on the hwy?
No, they don't have a delete. The DPF-R+ is a separate tuner from a separate manufacturer altogether. It will allow you to turn off the regen/egr functions and install a 70hp economy tune.

If you already have a Six-Gun or Automind you could use the DPF-R+ to turn off the regen/egr functionality and get even better results from your Six-Gun or Automind. If you don't have either one then you could use the supplied economy tune to receive good mileage results.

Highway mileage is typically better in most cases, except when towing. Towing always results in poor mileage. I wouldn't expect to get the 16-18mpg your expecting even towing that light. You'll probably be more in line with what your currently getting around town now with that load. As you start to go up in weight and size it will go even lower. Senix is towing at almost the max for an F250, I believe he sees around 7-9mpg. Mind you, this is with the DPF still in place, he could probably do better with the DPF removed, but still not in the 16-18 range. When your towing large loads, you typically want to be as close to stock power ratings as possible to prevent over heating and/or damaging your engine. So he runs his Six-Gun on the stock setting in most cases. If he were to do the DPF removal, he would still probably run it at the stock setting just because it's safer. The engine would most likely perform allot better with the simple fact that the DPF is removed so he doesn't have that restriction in place.

Both his and my truck have 3.73 gears in them.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by smotrs
No, they don't have a delete. The DPF-R+ is a separate tuner from a separate manufacturer altogether. It will allow you to turn off the regen/egr functions and install a 70hp economy tune.

If you already have a Six-Gun or Automind you could use the DPF-R+ to turn off the regen/egr functionality and get even better results from your Six-Gun or Automind. If you don't have either one then you could use the supplied economy tune to receive good mileage results.

Highway mileage is typically better in most cases, except when towing. Towing always results in poor mileage. I wouldn't expect to get the 16-18mpg your expecting even towing that light. You'll probably be more in line with what your currently getting around town now with that load. As you start to go up in weight and size it will go even lower. Senix is towing at almost the max for an F250, I believe he sees around 7-9mpg. Mind you, this is with the DPF still in place, he could probably do better with the DPF removed, but still not in the 16-18 range. When your towing large loads, you typically want to be as close to stock power ratings as possible to prevent over heating and/or damaging your engine. So he runs his Six-Gun on the stock setting in most cases. If he were to do the DPF removal, he would still probably run it at the stock setting just because it's safer. The engine would most likely perform allot better with the simple fact that the DPF is removed so he doesn't have that restriction in place.

Both his and my truck have 3.73 gears in them.
Couldn't have said it better

Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 PM
auriferous
Senior User

tuners

Really appreciate the info :Smotrs,Senix thanks .Now I've got this compulsion to do something about the DPF and follow with adressing the EGR ,I followed the link for DPF+R and read about the regen sometimes putting fuel in the motor oil when the cycle has been cut short etc. That sounds like a time bomb ,spoke with a guy who removed the DPF and says he can put it back on if he needs to, but the EGR cooler is two units and blocking them off seems like stuffing a turd under the rug . he did not say whether he did anything with them ,so how does that work ? the aftermarket EGR coolers from B.P.D. in AZ. look like a good fix and I like the concept of keeping emissions and eng. temps down and not removing the coolers.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
True, the regen function can introduce fuel into the oil, dilution, when the engine is turned off in the middle of a regen cycle. However, you can get the same type of dilution simply going on several short trips that don't warm up the engine enough.

To counter the dilution regarding regen, if you know your vehicle is in regen, you should put the vehicle in park and let it idle long enough for the EGT's to come down to a normal idle temp. This will give it plenty of time to burn off that excess fuel that was injected on the exhaust stroke. Regen will probably start again next time your on the road, but hopefully your on your way somewhere where it can completely finish.

To counter the dilution regarding short trips. Don't use the truck for short trips.

Quick Reply: tuners