1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I need help !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 AM
94TransAm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help !!

About to start work on my friends 48 F1 its been modified a little, its now got a 350 Chevy\trans\ back axle for starters, but whoever did this made it near impossible to drive atm as the brake pedal and accelerator pedal are now both to the right of the steering column [as original in fact the clutch pedal is still hidden under the carpet ] which is fine for a manual drive, but a real death trap when its an auto. Unless of course your deformed in some way and you like sitting side saddle.
He has [amongst other stuff] bought a CPP firewall mounted brake booster with combined proportioning valve attached. For one theres no guide i can find to fitting this, i assume you line it up with the firewall as best you can?
The front brake pipe union fitting [where they attach at the master cylinder and at the front brakes] are very tiny in size, does anyone know what size and thread size they are and what size is the brake pipe used? The rear axle is also chevy but at least the fittings are modern sizes so should pose no problem.
We are in the UK btw so any help would be great, thanks.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:16 AM
94TransAm
New User
Here's a pic of said truck, there's a lot needs doing even though it looks pretty tidy.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...g_2006/015.jpg

Old 12-05-2011, 08:13 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 94TransAm
About to start work on my friends 48 F1 its been modified a little, its now got a 350 Chevy\trans\ back axle for starters, but whoever did this made it near impossible to drive atm as the brake pedal and accelerator pedal are now both to the right of the steering column [as original in fact the clutch pedal is still hidden under the carpet ] which is fine for a manual drive, but a real death trap when its an auto. Unless of course your deformed in some way and you like sitting side saddle.
He has [amongst other stuff] bought a CPP firewall mounted brake booster with combined proportioning valve attached. For one theres no guide i can find to fitting this, i assume you line it up with the firewall as best you can?
The front brake pipe union fitting [where they attach at the master cylinder and at the front brakes] are very tiny in size, does anyone know what size and thread size they are and what size is the brake pipe used? The rear axle is also chevy but at least the fittings are modern sizes so should pose no problem.
We are in the UK btw so any help would be great, thanks.
brake line in the US is 3/16in, don't know what the thread size of the nuts are.

Yes, if you are putting a firewall mounted booster/master, you need to line up the pedal piston and the booster plunger. this usually is a little off center compared to the steering column. I used the same master on my green truck.
(and did a firewall mounted setup..) pics in my gallery.

In the US, brake and fuel are always together on one side of the column, and
clutch is on the other. I thought it was the same in the UK. In both cases the gas/brake are on the right side of the column when facing forward.

Sam

Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey 94Transam,
Welcome aboard - Nice truck - nothing wrong with the exterior - looks great from that pic. If you are having troubles or are concerend about the layout - why not post pics of the truck interior & the engine bay so we can see what's up.

I have a 1950 - our truck interior work in process pic is below if that helps you any. You may also want to edit your profile & put your location in the UK - we have members in England that can help as well.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin (TX)

Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 AM
94TransAm
New User
Thanks for the quick reply, it does look like 3\16th it may just be the very small fittings at the original underfloor master cylinder that make it look smaller. But if anyone knows what thread size the fittings are that might help if i need any new ones, they are much smaller than UK stuff and smaller than the GM rear axle thats now on it.
As you say, normally the clutch is to the left of the column and the other 2 pedals to the right, and it is the same here but with someone fitting an auto trans to this F1 you now have brake and accelerator to the right of the column, so you have to move your left leg around the column to brake unless you like braking with your right foot !
So by fitting the brake assembly to the left of the column your back to using your left foot to brake and your right foot to go, much easier.
Just a shame there is no "template" or anything to line the brake assembly up with but thats the least of the problems!
There is also a reducer for the rear of the proportioning valve he didn't order. My idea is to fit the whole assembly in before disconnecting any brake pipes as it wont interfere with how its set up atm.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM
94TransAm
New User
Thanks Ben, i might get some photos taken which might help even more, good idea.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 AM
94TransAm
New User
Thanks Sam, i found the picture of your brake booster, neat job, something i will have to try to copy !!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey 94transam,
I could be wrong but the vast majority of folks "over here"
use the right foot for both the brake & the gas - Left only comes
into play if you have a clutch. We mounted our column replacement up pretty high on the firewall to get it out of the way. It's a pretty narrow
space in theses older trucks - I was uncomfortable with how close pedals were to the column.

Good luck.

Ben in Austin

Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
used to drive dirt cars , now i drive with both feet even in an automatic . to much time lapse going from gas to brake back to gassin' it with one foot !!!!!!!!!!! nice truck too trans am !!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 94TransAm
Thanks for the quick reply, it does look like 3\16th it may just be the very small fittings at the original underfloor master cylinder that make it look smaller. But if anyone knows what thread size the fittings are that might help if i need any new ones, they are much smaller than UK stuff and smaller than the GM rear axle thats now on it.
As you say, normally the clutch is to the left of the column and the other 2 pedals to the right, and it is the same here but with someone fitting an auto trans to this F1 you now have brake and accelerator to the right of the column, so you have to move your left leg around the column to brake unless you like braking with your right foot !
So by fitting the brake assembly to the left of the column your back to using your left foot to brake and your right foot to go, much easier.
Just a shame there is no "template" or anything to line the brake assembly up with but thats the least of the problems!
There is also a reducer for the rear of the proportioning valve he didn't order. My idea is to fit the whole assembly in before disconnecting any brake pipes as it wont interfere with how its set up atm.
we train all our auto drivers to never use their left foot..

if u can mount the new before disconnecting the old... good luck what that!

here is a nice fitting size site FedHill Brake Line - Where to buy brake line, fuel line, brake line flaring tools, brake line nuts and brake line fittings

3/16 - 24 SAE double flare..

Sam

Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Most of the newer master cylinders are set up for 3/16" tubing....they have an inverted flare with threads that are 3/8-24. Inverted flare have a conical insert in the female threaded receptacle, and the steel brake lines require a double flare.

Some of the master cylinders are sized to have a 1/4" (with a 7/16-24 thread) tube for the fronts and a 3/16" tube for the back...I don't think that is necessary. I think the manufacturers did that so that mechanics replacing a master cylinder couldn't hook it up backwards.

That being said, when you're attaching the master cylinder, the bigger of the two reserviors is generally attached to the front brakes...if you have disk brakes up front, they require the bigger volume.

If you have a master cylinder set up for two sizes of tubing, and the truck uses 3/16 both front and back...you can either get an adaptor, or, get an inverted flare tube nut fitting that is 3/16" on the inside for the tubing, and 7/16-24 thread.

Look at Summit Racing's website for p/n 220137.

Dan

Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
94TransAm
New User
Thanks Dan, and Sam for the links, this has given much to think about.