Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at buying a 92 bronco... but have a engine question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 AM
65fordguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking at buying a 92 bronco... but have a engine question.

Thought you f150 guys could help since there are more of you here...
I am looking at a 92 bronco with a 351... while driving it feels very gutless..but the motor sounds and seems strong. granted the truck is lifted 9" and has 37" tall pro comp monster truck tires. road manners are not very good.. not bad.. but, again just thinking the lift and tires are to blame. it has 6" of suspension lift.. and 3" body lift.

I would want to remove the 3" lift and lower it down.. and maybe go down to a 34 or 35" all terrain BFGish tire.

think this would help with road manners? mainly what I'm referring too is while driving say you hit a dip on one side you correct the wheel.. but then have to actually correct that back.. the wheels won't return. it doesn't wander all over the road or wobble.. all seems tight.. almost normal. The truck seems to sway a bit though. hoping that removing that 3" lift would help.

next, after taking it for a test drive I pull up and put it in park.. I get a high idle.. kinda give it some gas it went away.. drove it a bit stopped same result.. and turned it off and start it back up and its back to normal. is this a TPS or IAC? Im not very familiar with these set ups on this year trucks..

Thanks for the help.. o.. it has a E40D tranny ( a jasper rebuild ) motor has 139,000.

Thanks again.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Too much tire for TTB. 9 inches of lift is alot for a Bronco

Taking it down would be a good idea and the 35s are a practical

Limit. If the truck has rubber bushings in the front

End consider replacing them with urethane.

The front suspension/ steering on these trucks always left more

To be desired, some TLC and maintenance can cure some of the

Control issues.

The IAC may need cleaning.

These engines do get tired at this range, I replaced my FSB's

5.8 at around the same mileage.

If you do get the truck, have fun making the upgrades. I do, since my FSB is

Not a DD, I use it as an escape.

BTW Broncos are the best, even in the F150+ forum

Old 12-05-2011, 01:25 AM
65fordguy
Elder User
thanks for the reply.. I was examining how hard it would be to remove that body lift.. any one know what all is involved in this process?

Right now it wouldnt be my daily driver... but, will be soon.. of course I only drive 3 mile to work.. and 3 days a week I drive 12 miles to another town 2 round trips per day. other than that I don't drive much.

Other driving would likely be done in my wifes car.
right now we take my 06 f150 lariat 4x4 everywhere we go.. and thats killin me on gas mileage. my wife is getting a new hybrid fangle toyota SUV .. she likes it she pays for it.. its all good i guess.. it gets 28 miles to the gallon.

so we will sell my f150 soon after I get the bronco settled in.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Body lifts are quite simple....
All u have to remove is all the Lift Pucks @ each body mount (youll have to replace those bolts w/shorter), there will also be a extension in steering shaft that youll have to remove & if you have a floor mounted shifter it should have a extra bit welded in which youll want to cut back out.
Also if they did it right it will have extension brackets on your bumpers youll have to remove....good luck

Old 12-05-2011, 02:17 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 372 Likes on 282 Posts
You won't get any better MPG in the Bronco over that 06 F150...actually you'll prolly lose MPGs

Removing the Body lift is definitely a good start. If the tread is good on your tires then you should easily be able to sell them and get a good set of 35's. You'll need to have someone bump the steering wheel while you're under the truck to see if there's play/where its at.

As for the idle issue, is teh check engine light on? If not, are you sure it works? If it is, then you need to pull the codes. That will tell us where to point you. Enjoy your Bronco, they are the best!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the gearing? That could have a lot to do with why it feels gutless... I agree with everyone else here, 37's are a bit too big for d44/8.8 axles and 9" is a little high for the short wheelbase of a Bronco.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 PM
65fordguy
Elder User

a picture of the potential rig... not bad.. it has a "custom" hood.. fiberglass on metal.. needs some attention to the body work... hard to see in the picture. would likely replace with aftermarket hood of some kind or factory. super clean . spite some personal taste differences it aint bad. and I can probably pick it up for under 5. if I decide to do so..

it has factory gears.. so, yeah I think that could contribute to that.. I drove a 96 bronco last night with 102k miles its an eddie with 5.0 and 3" lift.. it drove nice.. and rode out and performed great.. however, it has a broke or bad hinge bushings on the drivers door, I can pick it up and wobble it.. and have to actually pick up on it to shut it right... the back cap has a crack in the fiberglass where a limb or something tapped it .. it isn't large maybe 3".. don't know what is involved in fixing this.. also has a crease outward on the passenger fender between body line and wheel opening.. not horrible.. but, a notable flaw. not clean.. not horrible either. guy was asking 6750 but, think I can get it for again less than 5. just not sure its worth it for the damage?? he also had left the hubs locked on the front.. not a horrible thing.. just un necessary wear.. check engine light was on. he said it was a sensor out.. didn't remember which.. but, he had a print out. it performed well. squeaky belt.. but it went away after driving. ( it was raining out )

so, one 92 bronco xlt excellent cloth 13x.xxx miles obd1 too much crap new carpet.. one 96 eddie messed up leather seats eddie not as clean... but less mileage.. air bag.. obd2 and mass air..

both need their work .. which would you do? the down grader? or do the fixer upper.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would take the 92 with the 351w,do as you said,remove some lift,tires no bigger then 35's and regear and I think you will be happy.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
x2 on what cjben said, exactly my thoughts. You could actually recoup some of the money selling some of those aftermarket parts you don't like. Also, if you get the 92, consider doing the manual hub swap, Warn Premium Hubs would be my first choice.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by cjben
I would take the 92 with the 351w,do as you said,remove some lift,tires no bigger then 35's and regear and I think you will be happy.
X2.

Those tires and factory gearing are killing the potential of that truck. 35's are only going to help a little, factor in the cost of front and rear gears into the price.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
I also think the 92 with the 351w is a better choice. Cervinis makes a nice ram-air hood but it is expensive.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i like the '96 better but thats me...

Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM
65fordguy
Elder User
I initially liked the 96 as well.. however, the cracked fiberglass on the cap, the door hinge, and the crease in the front fender hold me back. Im not sure I want to invest 3000 in paint and body.. it may be worth it? I don't know. but, basically the guy will sell it for 5.. and work it where I dont have sales tax... which is worth about another 500.. I would then have about 8 with a paint job.. so, I think I'll keep looking.. If I can find one like the black one with out the lift and stuff I would be happy. It was well taken care of.. the folks that own the 96 are car stupid.. I asked which motor it had.. and I got a " uh.. I dunno".." 8 cylinder"... so. . . he says he took it to a mechanic regularly for service.. and it ran good. so who knows.

The black truck may be getting sold to another guy who will pay more.. can't blame the guy. I just couldnt pay 7k for it. but, if he doesnt sell it I may have another shot at it for 5.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
I personally think that 7k for a Bronco (92-96) is crazy unless its in mint condition with a full Autofab TTB lift kit.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
I personally think that 7k for a Bronco (92-96) is crazy unless its in mint condition with a full Autofab TTB lift kit.

I agree. I wouldn't pay more then 4k for one ('92-'96). That'd have to be a low-mile CLEAN truck.

My suggestion to the OP is go private seller. You'll find a better deal for sure then a dealer.

Quick Reply: looking at buying a 92 bronco... but have a engine question.