1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vacuum Wiper Motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 08:07 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Vacuum Wiper Motor

I'm rebuilding my vacuum wiper motor. This is probally a dumb question but can I remove the black gooey grease all over the paddle?

Old 04-14-2003, 10:35 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum Wiper Motor

you can remove the black gooey stuff that acts like a washer between the wiper motor plate and the firewall, that's not critical. But, if you're talking about the black gooey stuff that lubricates the arm, don't remove too much 'cuz you'll need it to keep it lubed.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:45 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vacuum Wiper Motor

Nathan,

I'd be interested in the details of rebuilding a vacuum wiper motor. I have one that also need rebuilding. How about I send it to you?

BTW, I got the wiper linkage yesterday and I'm VERY happy with it. Thanks again...

Old 04-15-2003, 10:07 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Vacuum Wiper Motor

I meant the paddle inside the motor. I think it is grease that has been sucked through the vacuum hose. Glad you got it Vern. I just took mine apart and will just clean it up since nothing looks broken. I used vise grips to undo the bolts.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vacuum Wiper Motor

I need to rebuild mine too. How about describing the various steps in detail for the rest of us? If it's anything like some of my endevors, then I'm sure you will make some, if not many, mistakes-wrong turns- or just general knucklehead moves. I always enjoy learning from other peoples' mistakes I'm being serious, Thanks, John

Old 04-15-2003, 11:16 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Vacuum Wiper Motor

I just took everything apart. I plan on cleaning everything and just putting it back together it is a really simple motor. The vacuum just moves the paddle back and forth.

Old 04-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Vacuum Wiper Motor

Originally posted by 51dueller
... I used vise grips to undo the bolts.
You used a Kentucky wrench to remove bolts?!?

Let's each chip in a nickel to get this boy a set of wrenches.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:18 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Vacuum Wiper Motor

The motor uses a weird oval head that a normal screwdriver or wench wont fit. It is really small. I'd still accept the tools though.

Old 04-16-2003, 09:34 AM
DonF
Junior User
Vacuum Wiper Motor

I always thought that the grease was supposed to be there. It helps seal and lubricate the paddle. The reason most of these units don't work is because the grease has dried up. I just went through mine about 6 months ago. Cleaned every thing up and used liberal amounts of good quality bearing grease. Works great now.

I also used a vise grips to take it appart and replaced the screws with conventional phillip heads.

Old 04-16-2003, 11:57 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Vacuum Wiper Motor

Don,

You used bearing grease? I looked into a vacuum motor many years ago and I thought the grease in it was white lithium grease. I have two motors, but both are frozen. I guess dissassembling them would not make them any worse even if I can't get them to work. If I can't get either of them to work, guess I'll have to go electric.

Old 04-16-2003, 02:40 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Vacuum Wiper Motor

I removed most of the grease but left some on the side of the paddle. I don't think the grease is supposed to smell like oil and be very black.

Old 04-16-2003, 10:07 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Vacuum Wiper Motor

Lubricants in the 50's weren't what they are today, Nathan. I highly doubt that what you are seeing in engine gook that has been "sucked in". The vacuum FROM the engine pulls AGAINST the motor, not the other way around. If anything of the sort were to happen, it would be wiper motor grease being sucked back into the engine. My advice would be to clean it out good and relubricate it with an adequate amount of white lithium grease. That stuff is thin enough to allow the engine vacuum to easily move the paddle but it lasts about forever. I've never been inside one of these, but I've seen some diagrams and have a good idea of how they work. Is there a seal of some sort on the paddle? If so, I'd make sure that you get it replaced as well.

Old 04-17-2003, 08:45 AM
DonF
Junior User
Vacuum Wiper Motor

Actually, I didn't use axle grease but chasis grease. Lithium might very well be the preferred stuff but at the time all I had on in the shop was my grease gun loaded up with muti-purpose moly grease.

Truth is, it probably dosn't matter much what you use. I would certainly avoid a grease that's to stiff or gets that way on a cold day.

If I remember correctly, the seal on the paddle is made of leather and not easily replaced. The bigger problem is saving the fragile paper gasget that keeps the whole thing air tight. However, a bit of silly cones generally saves the day.

Old 04-17-2003, 12:00 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Vacuum Wiper Motor

But why would they cover the whole paddle really thick?

Old 04-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Vacuum Wiper Motor

Originally posted by 51dueller
But why would they cover the whole paddle really thick?
Nathan, ever seen the inside of a tranny after 50 years or so? The original 90W oil looks like chocolate jello and is real thick everywhere the gears don't actually move. I guess I could ask "Why did they coat the inside of the tranny with thick stuff all over?" but I think you get the point.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Wiper Motor