1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Ibuzzards' Strategy For Keeping A Fridge On The Road, In Perpetuity(Google THAT, Numbskulls)

Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Ibuzzards' Strategy For Keeping A Fridge On The Road, In Perpetuity(Google THAT, Numbskulls)

I am NOT an old car/truck "hobbyist".Rather, I drive my truck daily,to the tune of 20-25 K miles per year.My '59 F250 is currently my only vehicle,and cannot be down for long, as I need it for my daily,round-trip 60-80 mile commute for my job as an electrician.

Having been mostly successful at keeping said vehicle rolling for these 13 years that I've owned it, I'd like to let you in on my plan/strategy for keeping myself stocked up on parts.I do have to say at the onset, that I am not wealthy, I have a wife who does not view my old truck as anything other than a money-pit, and I am a "parts-swapper", rather than a qualified mechanic.But since my truck is basically lawnmower-simple, I seem to get by doing things the way I do them.

First, get yourself a great, big set of free-standing shelves set up in your garage, shop, bedroom, where-ever, for nothing but parts for your old truck.No over-flow of auto chemicals, no spare pots and pans from the wife's domain(The Kitchen), or any other encroachments are permissible in this hallowed ground.

Keep a Logbook on all your Stash.I have, to my financial detriment, bought doubles and even triples of some items, because I didn't know what I already had.I'll probably not use all three headlight switches, or all three heater control valves,or my two horn relays, or my two fan switches before I kick the bucket.(And there's lots more)I may, however, use my spare chrome grille and headlight doors, or the NOS Magic Air Heater Controls Box which is just about Unobtainium, or one of the two extra SeeClear foot-operated windshield wiper kits that wait on my shelves . Ya see?I'm a smart Ebay shopper!The originals of all these parts have lasted at least 50 years. I, on the other hand, am 51, and about worn-out.

Keep It Stock.I find it best for me to stay as close to stock as possible.It's proven to be a reliable,inexpensive strategy, and let's me be able to do 90% of all work on my truck myself.If you simply must spend your money, or have to have a candy-coated piece of costume jewelry that will be the envy of all, then by all means, suit yourself.I don't care what you do.If you send me some of your riches, I MAY care a little.

Buy NOS parts, whenever possible.Much of the repro stuff is less than stellar quality, and thankfully, a vigilant, careful shopper need not pay a kings' ransom for quality parts.Often, the Genuine Ford NOS parts cost less than the Questionable Crap available from the Usual Suspects.In fact,since I'm stubborn and thrifty,this is usually the case for me

When a part is no longer made, and you find it impossible to find NOS, buy only Excellent Condition Used Parts, and be willing to pay a fair price.I'm embarrassed by my wedge-*** brethren, living in the 50's ,that expect something for little or nothing. Have these, if necessary, reconditioned or do it yourself.Settling for some rusty, cruddy item because it was all you could find at the time seldom makes one proud.Perhaps you relish spending your valuable free-time scrounging salvage-yards, mining for gold, so as to have bragging rights about how little you paid for some part? I, Sir, am mightily unimpressed!I'd much rather anticipate and expect that things will fail, and plan accordingly.I spend my free time with my family, or in the garden, not on a quest.What's the Boy Scout Motto?

If you are forever fretting or arguing over a twenty, or hundred dollar purchase, perhaps you shouldn't have an old truck.I'm pretty sure there'll still be a few left at a future time when cash-flow is better.Your kids will grow up and leave,eventually.Hopefully.They damned well better.....

Under my plan,you must do at least these five things:

1.Get The Manuals - Factory Shop Manual, Ford Truck Parts and Accessories Manual, Ford Truck Illustrated Parts,1957-1964.That's it,these three will be your Old, New, and Future Testaments for your Orphan Years truck.On Disc,or paper bound,preferably both.The latest disc will have the most recent parts number, and Ford is infamous for changing them often.No, just because you have a well thumbed through, original parts catalog from 1962 ,it doesn't mean that YOUR part number is accurate.You want to argue about that one, forget it.NumberDummy will set you straight in a hurry.He was, and is, a 30+ year Ford Parts guy, and a 10 -year Studebaker numbers man before that.If HE can't sometimes keep it all straight, what hope have we mere mortals?

2.Monitor Ebay.Daily, in my case.Obsessive?I don't think so. It's entertaining for me,since we do not watch television, and haven't for over 15 years.At any rate, this Truck Parts Shopping part of my daily internet regimen takes me all of 30 minutes.What I know from this is what an average, a ****-poor, and an excellent price is for most of the parts I'll ever require for my mostly-stock truck.People panic and pay crazy prices for even mildly difficult to find parts, simply because they were not prepared, and didn't anticipate needing a particular item.I also have a few very few nearly impossible-to-find parts,that some would give there left nut for, because I was there, waiting to pounce.Using an auction Sniping Service is excellent strategy, also.If I REALLY want a part, I seldom loose an Ebay auction.

3.Use "Parts Voice"( for which you'll need the Ford part number) It is a search engine incorporating many obsolete parts suppliers and some Ford Dealerships.It's easy, type in a number ,it spits back who, if anyone, has the part you're seeking.Maybe.And maybe you'll get a lazy guy who does not really care to go see if some obscure part, for some vehicle from the Dark Ages is still actually on the shelf where the computer says it should still be.Good luck with that.

4.Get to know, befriend, or otherwise suck up to NumberDummy, AKA Bill.Brush-up on your brown-nosing skills. If you feel you need to be treated with kid-gloves, man-up or walk away now.He' s the very definition of what the young idiots so flippantly refer to as "old skool", though they've really no clue what it actually means.The Dummy is sometimes short with even his friends, does not suffer fools lightly,and is really a big teddy-bear.He's helped me and countless others times innumerable.He literally looks up hundreds of parts numbers , for lots of members, for no money, and even less grattitude, every day.At all hours,as "Rust, and NumberDummy, never sleep".Though Ancient & Retired, he still has access , through some fluke of the cable television system, to the Ford Dealership Parts Locator Program.No, really.Again, if you get your little feelings hurt easily,go elsewhere, Bill, and me for that matter, don't have time for you "Panty-Waists" (Tee-Hee!).Me, I'll take the occasional-and usually-well-deserved-sarcastic remark in stride, because I value his patience and friendship.

5.Fund a Parts Budget, and Spend Every Dime.Doesn't matter if you've lots, or little, but buy every month, or even better, every week, and do it for the next ten years.Don't spend it on less important stuff, like food or mortgage payments,spend it on your truck.Let the wife get a second or third job for those.For tips on deficit spending for your parts budget,write your Senator or Congressman.

This is not the only way to keep your Important Tool on the road, but it's my way, and has worked out well for me.Feel you've got a better way? Tell someone else, I'm sticking with my method.

Steve,

The Stubborn Antagonist

Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 AM
windsor8689
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Buzz, you made my day/night. I'm right behind you on those eBay auctions I'm always scouting the internet for prices and pics of our orphans. And I agree with your priorities, Though sometimes I forget I have to eat and pay the mortgage.......I'm too busy standing in my garage talking to my dog about what to do with this tired windsor under my hood.....

Thanks for the pleasant reading buzz

Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 AM
New User
HA...I'm not the only one !

That is a "selfish, selfcentered S.O.B. spending all the familys money and all your spare time talking to the dog about that...here it comes...JUNKY OLD TRUCK !"
I've only had this one ('59 F100 w/223 inline 6 and 3spd.) a month or two cause the last one ('67 F350 dump w/352FE 4spd. and a 4.56 rear gear) just was not cutting it as a daily driver, I've had worse ideas beleave it or not.

anyways I think I'm gona keep this one for a while (working out as a daily driver much better) so some of Ibuzzards techniques just may half to be implemented. some good advice nodoubt!

And for the record the dog loves this truck, no matter what the wife says.

PS. and one tip from me...when trying to justify your old truck to your wife, DO NOT under any circumstances refer to your two year old F350, 4x4, 4 door, diesel, 6spd stick as "just a winter ride"
I'm just saying...

Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM
cbutcher
Mountain Pass

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wisdom from Afar

Steve
Great advice, and you really can't stress keeping notes on what you have.

I also keep a list of what I need or want, and when dealing with a seller always
ask if they might have the part. A lot of times the answer is yes and you get a good deal for just asking.

Craig
The Hills of Prunetucky

Last edited by cbutcher; 11-09-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: get it right
Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks,
This thread makes me feel like I have found a 'home' on the internet. From '91 til '01 I drove a 38 ford tonner as my daily driver, complete with mechanical brakes and split rims. I never did use all the spare parts I collected for it..... Great ideas and lots of fun to read. I look forward to using and driving my '59 and it has already proven to be a lot easier to work on than the '38.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:04 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 585 Likes on 525 Posts
Steve, you may just get my vote for "Father Fridge",! LOL!

Pretty much common sense stuff, but all too uncommon these days. Good to see your thoughts put together like that.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
buzz, what a great read. i do things different. i keep blowing my money on more trucks that i hate to part out. picking up the monkey face tomorrow. in your rant you said something about a magic air with the controls and that its made out of unobtainium. is that for real or what? the reason i ask is i have a buddy that just parted out a 59 custom cab with that set-up. he kept it all and told me i could have it if his other truck had it to. you may be wondering why he doesnt know if his other truck has the magic air, its a long story. anyway, should i grab it while he is not looking or what? i know its different than mine in the big red 60. let me know.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Mark,if it's the correct Magic Air control box, which was an optional upgraded heater,snag the whole thing if he offers it to you.Back when I won that Ebay auction (at 30.00),within minutes I received a pleading offer from the guy whom I sniped in the closing seconds, he "really needed it", offered me 250.00 for it.It remains on my shelf.Now ,the Bay doesn't let you see your competitors,but it was fun back then.I found myself to be bidding against the same guy frequently, he was nearly as obsessive as I am.

It's nearly impossible to find NOS, nice used ones are getting scarce too.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 AM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
yea, he grabbed the whole deal. he even took the water control valve that was under the hood. i thought he was nuts for what he paid for the pos but now think maybe he got a pretty good deal. just got to thinking what the difference between that one and mine are and i havent looked in the book yet. duuuuhhhh.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Awful big grins and agreements to what has been said. For many many years while others were buying and driving their new cars and having the payments and depreciation, the wife and I were driving Thunderbirds or Vetts as DDs. Today the wife likes the modern convenience of her Jeep Wrangler but I prefer to drive my old Ford trucks.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
So, my heater is cool? I thought the only cool thing about my dash was the hula girl. You oughta see her shimmy when I bust through the potholes. Had to move her back a couple of inches cuz her head kept banging on the windshield. Guess I should be looking for a spare (windshield)for my ibuzzard sacred shrine/parts rack......such a better idea than mine. Don't ask about the huge pile of mixed ford parts in my attic.

Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 585 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
So, my heater is cool? I thought the only cool thing about my dash was the hula girl. You oughta see her shimmy when I bust through the potholes. Had to move her back a couple of inches cuz her head kept banging on the windshield. Guess I should be looking for a spare (windshield)for my ibuzzard sacred shrine/parts rack......such a better idea than mine. Don't ask about the huge pile of mixed ford parts in my attic.
While the Hula Hula girl is cute, she can't compare with the glow from the pilot light on a Magic Air control. Well worth driving after dark just for the look.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:04 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I found a socket with a bulb dangling behind that area, but wasn't sure if it was for the heater. I'll go down at about 4 am and see if I can light it up. I am a total sucker for anything that lights up. Note on my posts I have clearance lights on all my cabs... when you live in a gloomy place like the pacific northwest, a couple of lights on is a whole lot cheaper than prosac......

Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 AM
New User
???

So whats the big deal with this heater thing ? (other than it lights up, which is always cool) it's factory option ? what ???? mine heats up real quick (223 inline 6) with all the heat i need, it's a little drafty in there, came from mid-ohio not exactly air tight !

PS. the HULA girl is HOT, wish mine came with one...

Old 11-11-2011, 08:21 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

It's not a big deal,really.Both the standard and Magic Aire will get you warm,bye-and bye.The magic Aire draws in fresh air, and is supposedly more efficient ,especially at removing moisture laden air from the cab.Can't say if it's true, I've only ever had this one Fridge.

I can tell you this:If you have the chance to get the cardboard defrost outlets from old 57-60 trucks,grab them.They are often missing or deteriorated to the point of crumbling,and are hard to find.Even in decent condition,they deform over time and usually don't seal well to the dash, leaking air to below the dash area,causing slow windshield defrosting..They often go for high prices on eBay.There's a guy asking 125.00 for a pair in an auction now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ibuzzards' Strategy For Keeping A Fridge On The Road, In Perpetuity(Google THAT, Numbskulls)