6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FICM

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5030tinkerer
We don't suggest the higher voltage modifications for precisely the reasons stated here.

The easiest and certainly most reliable path to better cold starting is migrating to 5W40 synthetic oil. The difference is night and day, especially in those cases where stiction has already begun to set in.

Thanks for all the positive comments about our service, guys. It is much appreciated.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com
Ed
Do you have units that out can send out and then we send you our core.
I just can't have my truck down for a week or two. My truck is a working one that I need every day.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Jimbob8
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nice Work Truck
Ed
I just can't have my truck down for a week or two. My truck is a working one that I need every day.
Last month I talked to Ed on the phone, after 30 min. conversation, I checked several things he pointed out, replaced batteries & repaired bad connection on Alt.
output. Low FICM voltage was not an issue anymore
Talked himself out of the job! He was more interested in my problem than the money! Thanks again to Ed!

He wasn't doing exchange due to flash. The next thing I have to deal with is my out dated flash(all buzz at once, not good for FICM).

If my FIMC shows problems he will be the 1!!!!

JIMBOB another redneck with an opinion

Old 12-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jimbob8
Last month I talked to Ed on the phone, after 30 min. conversation, I checked several things he pointed out, replaced batteries & repaired bad connection on Alt.
output. Low FICM voltage was not an issue anymore
Talked himself out of the job! He was more interested in my problem than the money! Thanks again to Ed!

He wasn't doing exchange due to flash. The next thing I have to deal with is my out dated flash(all buzz at once, not good for FICM).

If my FIMC shows problems he will be the 1!!!!

Thanks Jimbob.
I need to upgrade my battery wires.
When I put in the 200amp alt. all I did was piggy back a 2 gauge wire to the pass. battery.
I need to jump them all up to 2/0 including the grounds.
Just need to find the time.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:44 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nice Work Truck
Ed
Hey Andy -

The short answer is 'yes', but I'll be sending you a PM. This is a forum for like-minded individuals trying to help each other. I try hard to keep the moderators happy and not make it a sales venue.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 12-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Jimbob8
Junior User
Originally Posted by 5030tinkerer
Hey Andy -

The short answer is 'yes', but I'll be sending you a PM. This is a forum for like-minded individuals trying to help each other. I try hard to keep the moderators happy and not make it a sales venue.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com
Good to know you can exchange, do you flash equipment now too?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 PM
LSAtexan4x4
Elder User
i believe that my FICM is taking a dump on me.. i have a scangauge2 and it shows it bouncing between 47.0 and 48.5 constantly while running... i put my sg2 in a buddys truck and his shows almost a constant 49.5... could this mean its going out... when my truck is cold it starts rough and when i drive it if im at a speen where im maintaining a speed while im at low rpms, the truck shakes alot like its missing or something.... does this sound like it may be a FICM issue?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:56 PM
KINGDAR
Senior User
Just a word of caution, because of budget issues I tried to fix my FICM last week. I had a complete no start truck.( 06 ) After testing I pulled the FICM, took it apart, and reflowed the solder connections as instructed. I then put it all back together and to my suprise the truck started right up woohoo! I took my wife to the store and back aprox.20 miles and while backing into the driveway it lurched, chuged, and died. We unloaded and I started it up to turn it around and plug it in for the night. while doing this it died once again but started right up again.Next morning I go out to start it for work an nothing. Cranks over but no sign of even trying to start. After this reply Im writing Ed and hoping it not beyond professional help. So much for my "budget". So Ed,you busy??????>>>>>>>..................?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by LSAtexan4x4
i believe that my FICM is taking a dump on me.. i have a scangauge2 and it shows it bouncing between 47.0 and 48.5 constantly while running... i put my sg2 in a buddys truck and his shows almost a constant 49.5... could this mean its going out... when my truck is cold it starts rough and when i drive it if im at a speen where im maintaining a speed while im at low rpms, the truck shakes alot like its missing or something.... does this sound like it may be a FICM issue?
The short answer woud be "NO", but you need to check FICM voltage after a cold soak at startup. You "could" have a bad FICM but I suspect it's more than likely injector stiction. Change to a 5W40 oil and if it doesn't improve try some Rev-x.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:01 PM
LSAtexan4x4
Elder User
I'm running hot shots secret now... No improvement

Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by KINGDAR
Just a word of caution, because of budget issues I tried to fix my FICM last week. I had a complete no start truck.( 06 ) After testing I pulled the FICM, took it apart, and reflowed the solder connections as instructed. I then put it all back together and to my suprise the truck started right up woohoo! I took my wife to the store and back aprox.20 miles and while backing into the driveway it lurched, chuged, and died. We unloaded and I started it up to turn it around and plug it in for the night. while doing this it died once again but started right up again.Next morning I go out to start it for work an nothing. Cranks over but no sign of even trying to start. After this reply Im writing Ed and hoping it not beyond professional help. So much for my "budget". So Ed,you busy??????>>>>>>>..................?
Kingdar - We've always got room for one more. I've sent you a PM.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM
firedaniel
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I just took my FICM out and thought what the heck... I opened it up and re soldered everything... It worked perfectly. 47.7-48 volts KO, Cranking, Running etc... I had one issue removing the amber one of the resistors fell out! I soldered it in and away we go. Sorry Ed I couldnt resist at least trying. I was a service tech for 12 years repairing high tech dental equipment!

One question I do have is the rubber bushings where missing as where the back screws and bushings. I am guessing someone fixed it in the past and did a crappy job. Where can I get those parts?

Daniel

Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
No need to be sorry, Daniel. I truly hope it works out for you. Many have found, however, that the resolder solution is only temporary. This is the basis for our use of upgraded (and new) components.

I'd suggest just keeping an eye on it. If it works and stays working, all I can say is good for you!

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
firedaniel
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Ed how do you recommend mounting the FICM? On mine there where only those front 2 bolts holding but no rubber grommets...

Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 PM
dukie1877
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
lol I did a crappy job then too cause all my little rubber bushings fell out and I couldent find them all so I need to know where to get those little irritating suckers at too im going to glue them things in there

Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Hey Daniel -

The rubber grommets are on the bracket itself where it connects to the engine. There are no grommets on the newer models where the FICM connects to the bracket. Just re-attach the four bolts as you found it and you should be all set, though consider using some insulation (more details on the FAQ page of FICMrepair.com) between the module and the bracket to minimize the heat soak that occurs after engine shutoff. Just be sure that whatever insulation you use won't ignite. Studies have shown that that is all bad.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Quick Reply: FICM