1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'Jessie' '55-F100 Pick up build

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats a nice little truck, I had a 66 econo. van that had a 200 in it. Boy if that truck could talk, I lived in it for a time, brings back memories. Ok, ok back to your truck it looks like its in pretty good shape, congatulations on your find. Jessie can keep Julie company. Have fun and keep us posted with pics.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Help ID this carb

So, going with the 250 reference provided before. Would anyone be able to help me ID the carb?

I haven't pulled it in fear of breaking the seals and not being able to find new ones so easily. All I know is it was made by Weber. Here's a couple of pics.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 PM
TxF100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is really a Weber carb? The model number identification should be stamped into the base of the body at the mounting flange on the end that is opposite the choke assembly. If you find it there, Google it, and you should be able to get the info you need.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Carter YF.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Carter YF 7662s

Looks like you both were right. There's a 7662S encryption on the base (can't see it on the second pic, but it's right there).

The fun thing now is that I've been trying to find information on it under Carter and Motorcraft and I get nothing.

I'll see what else I can find as I keep diggin' about this.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:13 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
Wow, thanks Ted!
I'm basically putting a list together on what I have on each of the trucks. Since I started out with no idea on what's under the hood I decided to start doing research. (Not much work to do)

I came across a Tomco link http://www.tomco-inc.com/carblookup.aspx that helped me ID the carb and applications for it. Seems I also confirmed I have a '77-'80 6 cyl 4.1L (250").

One of the pleasures about having no idea of what I have is that there's everything to learn. Now to look for Julie's.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Just be thankful you don't have to make that list for my truck!!! I think the last time I counted I had parts from like 15 different trucks.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Update with a bit of hesitation/regret

Sorry if this goes long; need to vent a bit on the current situation...

I moved Jessie off the grass to under a roofed spot in the yard. She runs and drives, needs a fan, and a few other engine bits and pieces. That would sound like a relatively good shape. Fun part is, I know eventually that engine will need major work on it if not getting fully replaced. It's all rusted inside, over heats due to the lack of a fan and also affects the tranny (more work to look at).

Mechanics aren't the part I'm most worried about, I can get whatever parts needed locally for that matter. My biggest concern, and something I've been finding out more about is the body.

While I was setting the water pump belt up again after it started stretching and moved out of place, eventually ripped and finished the last push with no belt on, I noticed something funny on the right fender; there's bondo over bondo and seems there are some rust holes in several places.

I over looked this when I bought her and seeing that shop manuals have taken nearly a month to get delivered by mail, makes me think how hard and expensive it's going to be to bring body parts from the US.

I posted an update on Julie's thread about how I started pulling parts from her to go into Jessie as she is in the best running condition out of the two. Thought about doing it for the front fenders as well, as Julie WILL get COMPLETED one way or the other. Even if I have to trailer her to the US to get the work done over there.

Guess I'm just frustrated over car payments, lack of a budget to work on the trucks and everyday life. I've always been known for being patient and pulling things through when I really want them. Just hope the light comes back again soon before I throw Jessie out and try to get my 2300 back.

Here she is in her new room. With a solid floor underneath, it should be easier to continue tearing her apart if I decide to move forward with the project.

Half way up

All the way up.

Turned out the bed was loose and it moved back about a foot when bouncing up the step to get her in there. Don't have a pic of that but will show one when I talk about Julie's fan and housing transplant attempt.

Ed

Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Could this be a sign?

Last night I was ranting about my situation. This came in 10 minutes ago.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:38 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Ed,

As a fellow restorer I feel your pain. Getting frustrated over budgets, builds and life is common when restoring the old trucks. I can't begin to count the number of times I have thrown in the towel and declared my project would be sold. For me it is a venting technique, a way to get over the frustration. I have very little support for my restoration efforts from friends and family but I do have one or two friends that always tell me it's going to be ok. During those times, I usually walk away, let the truck sit for a day or two and focus on something else. Then I kick the tires and continue on with the madness. Yes, you have an extra hurdle with being outside the US and getting parts but don't give up. Your situation requires careful planning but you can end up with a great truck in the end.

As for the manual, while they are helpful they are not everything. The wealth and depth of knowledge on this forum is invaluable. Many projects have been tackled by referencing this forum, the Mid-fifty Catalog and the Illustration and Text Catalog I believe I emailed you.

Hang in there and feel free to lean heavily on the forum folks when you need something, we are here to help. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Thanks for stopping by.

I feel better today. Thinking about what I did yesterday and what I wrote feels a little incoherent. In one hand I was working on parts, while on the other I was complaining about the trucks condition. Guess I should have just taken the step back as you mention and relax to get back to planning.

All though the manuals may have some body useful information, regarding mechanics there won't be much use for them. It's more of a general knowledge gathering effort. plus it looks nice to have the books for the truck. :P

Thanks for the support and the words of encouragement. I'm sure I'll keep on trucking for a while still.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Just needed to mention this. Saturday we celebrated my mom's 50th birthday. While talking to my new aunt (married my uncle in November), turns out she imports things from LA every week. She offered to give me the adress where things are shipped from so I can buy my parts and have them delivered there and on the truck. Now I have a weekly chance to import parts with no across the border shipping cost.

Forget anything I said about getting rid of Jessie.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 PM
BITRODIUM
New User
Hang in there!!!! We have ALL been ready to throw in the towel on more than one occassion, It happens. Dont be afraid to walk away from it for a couple days, refresh yourself and jump back in. The folks on the forums are GREAT and soo helpful. Day by day!! Good Luck!!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Holy cab Batman!

Hi again folks.

We'll I had some free time this afternoon while waiting to pick up the Mrs. from work, so I decided to have a look under the carpet and ended up starting to strip the interior.

This is kinda what I started with:

After the carpet was gone, came on to a blue fluffy isolation layer that was glued on with something that peeled away with rust patches to show a weak and ugly floor.

Anyone have a couple of door service panels to spare? Will pay for parts and shipping if anyone willing to work through paypal. Can also get you contact information for a great custom audio installer.

Pics of all that has happened in the photobucket gallery.

Quick Reply: 'Jessie' '55-F100 Pick up build