Sponsored by: Moser

Elliminating the traction control on 09 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Myf350sd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elliminating the traction control on 09 FX4

I have a 09 150 FX4, the traction control that ford put in the 150's is terrible. Even with it shut of, it still cuts power to the drivetrain. I saw a thread on here a while back about a Ford tech who changed a few parts from his 150 to Raptor parts to elliminate the traction control and keep the electronic locking rear end to stay engaged at any speed. i have the part numbers that he listed. I can not find the thread to get the rest of the information and how he made out. Has anyone else been able to disengage the traction control on their 150?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
bnk190
Freshman User
please post the part #'s so I can look at doing this as well. This is my # 1 hate on the truck.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Myf350sd
Senior User
This is what I have for part numbers. Raptor 4X4 switch AL32-14B166-AA
RAPTOR TRANSFERCASE CONTROL MODULE, AL32-7E453-DC
MOTORCRAFT TM-233.
I am trying to find out if they are plug and play. There was a thread on here a while back that described how to do it, I can not find it now.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Myf350sd
I have a 09 150 FX4, the traction control that ford put in the 150's is terrible. Even with it shut of, it still cuts power to the drivetrain. I saw a thread on here a while back about a Ford tech who changed a few parts from his 150 to Raptor parts to elliminate the traction control and keep the electronic locking rear end to stay engaged at any speed. i have the part numbers that he listed. I can not find the thread to get the rest of the information and how he made out. Has anyone else been able to disengage the traction control on their 150?
On mine if I hold the traction control button, (5 seconds or so), until the icon on the dash flashes that turns it off. If I just punch it to turn it off, that doesn't totally turn it off. Don't know if yours is the same.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Myf350sd
Senior User
Yes, mine works the same. However it does not really turn off. Try it in both settings, it primarily sucks. If I had known how it really works I would never have bought the 150. I had a 08 F350, that I put a detriot locker true trac in. It was the best thing ever, worked great. They do not make one for the 150 yet.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:19 PM
ebexp94
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rancheroracer
On mine if I hold the traction control button, (5 seconds or so), until the icon on the dash flashes that turns it off. If I just punch it to turn it off, that doesn't totally turn it off. Don't know if yours is the same.
Whether you long press it (stability control) or short press it (traction control) the system re-engages at wheel speeds above 15 or 25 MPH. I cant remember the speed right now but its certainly noticable.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ebexp94
Whether you long press it (stability control) or short press it (traction control) the system re-engages at wheel speeds above 15 or 25 MPH. I cant remember the speed right now but its certainly noticable.
That's all I need, I use it at the drag strip, I don't want it cutting power at launch if the tires slip a little.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Detroit TruTrac is available for the 9.75" ford.

https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...252d-Ford-9.75

that was just the first one that came up in a google search.

Im surprised to hear that people are so unhappy with the traction control. my 2010 will shut you down once you get sideways a little, but other than that it is almost unnoticable. Once i shut it off, it does almost nothing. Perhaps it will shut you down if you go crazy with wheelspin, but if you are spinning that bad, you need to learn how to drive in slick conditions ...

Based on my experience i dont see how it would detect the small amount of wheelspin you might get on the dragstrip, but then again I don't race. I did punch it too hard around a corner once and had to back out of it myself, the traction controll didnt shut me down before i noticed it was going sideways already and shut it down myself.

Maybe everyone else's is more sensitive than mine, i dont know.... but i have no complaints what-so-ever.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Originally Posted by meborder
Detroit TruTrac is available for the 9.75" ford.
Based on my experience i dont see how it would detect the small amount of wheelspin you might get on the dragstrip, but then again I don't race.
Maybe everyone else's is more sensitive than mine, i dont know.... but i have no complaints what-so-ever.
I had it happen at the track, that's why I turn it off now.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:51 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Myf350sd
I didn't see anything here on FTE regarding it, but found a tech on a F150 forum that used that part to setup an e-locker override mod. Not sure if this helps but thought I'd post it regardless.

E-Locker Override Mod? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Old 12-07-2011, 07:43 PM
XXX4play
Junior User
Fuse 36 I think it is under the hood I have it wired to a toggle switch on the dash lights up a few things but the traction control is completely OFF and I can turn it on and off as I drive

Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 AM
79mustang351w
Freshman User
Sorry...I know...bringing this back from the dead. But I have an 09' F150 I wanna roast some junk tires off of....but I am not doing this one wheel peel crap anymore. What all is involved in the Raptor mod and getting my e-locker to lock in 2wd? Thanks for your help guys. Also...while traction control is amazing on these trucks for daily driving and slick conditions...when I wanna have fun it sucks. I got the one wheel peels down pat now....and can roll out into 2nd gear beautifully....but I wanna do posi burnouts until my new tires come. lol

Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dlh4x4
First off I did these mods to my 2010 FX4. Today my Raptor parts showed up. Sorry I did the mod in the dark and rain, so pictures were not taken. First I installed the Raptor 4X4 switch Ford part #AL3Z-14B166-AA. The switch went right in the factory location and connector no problem. I pulled the **** in 2HI. nothing happened. Everything else worked as normal. Next I installed the Raptor TCCM(transfer case control module) Ford part #AL3Z-7E453-DC Motorcraft #TM-233. It is located in the right kick panel just above the fuse box. This module is not programmable, it is factory loaded per application. After installing, the E-lock works in 2HI up to 12mph and stays locked in 4HI and 4Low for as fast as I want to go. I checked for codes with IDS(Ford scan tool). The only code was for the off-road switch being open, no big deal. Earlier I posted the wiring diagram showing the wiring needed to add the off road switch if you want. With the off-road switch you can have the E-lock stay engaged in 2HI for an unllimited speed. I work at a dealer and buy parts at cost plus 10%. Both parts cost me about $140. Your local dealer can order them or better yet contact Tasca Ford, they ship and will sell them for about the same as I paid. There are other ways of doing this, but this is the easiest and keeps the factory look and Ford parts. I hope this helps, I'm very pleased with my results. I might add an off-road switch in the future.
here you go. spend a few minutes looking and the world is your oyster

kinda cool to read this. I can't see myself ever dropping back to a F-150, but it's cool info to keep around in case. It'd annoy me no end to have an e-locker and be regulated by its use.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM
79mustang351w
Freshman User
Yeah..of course I finally found that thread after searching and asking that question. I got the parts ordered Monday...so we will be roasting these tires in no time. lol

Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM
OKLAHOMAF100
Senior User
The post about the Raptor parts install mainly speaks t the ability to use the locker at higher speeds. Does it also calm the traction control down? My traction/stability control kicks in almost every time I turn in my truck. I have taken it in and the dealer says it's normal... I do not limp around in my truck by any means, but I am no where near the trucks limit when it kicks in. It's aggravating as hell.

Brandon

Quick Reply: Elliminating the traction control on 09 FX4