6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

H&S vs. Spartan Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 PM
powerskull
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you use a the Bully Dog Watch Dog with the H&S xrt pro? the watch dog is the same as the mini max and I already have the watch dog. Down side would be no on the fly tuning. right?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Movingsolution
Junior User
Originally Posted by StClairdean
First time poster here. Firstly, what an awesome forum! Such a great knowledge bank!

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this topic, but I don't think it deserves a new thread. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

I am looking to install a programmer (dpf delete) on my 2009 and am wondering just how big a job this is. I am getting quotes of 3-4 hours labour at $125/hour and I just can't see it. Drop the exhaust (down pipe back), bolt up the new and plug in the programmer. Am I missing something here? One guy quoted me $2500+ (Cdn$)for the Mini Maxx and pipes. Sounds outrageous to me.

Thanks for your thoughts.
The hardest part of dropping the exhaust was lifting the truck. I did it with two buddies of mine and in order to remove it we needed to have the truck pretty high off the ground (especially when removing the back-portion that goes over the rear axle). Tuner itself is just plug-play into OBD-II. I'd say for a shop 4 hours is a bit much but if you have impact wrench and some money for beer I'd say you could do it with a few buddies much cheaper.

Last edited by Movingsolution; 03-14-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Jims 08 stroker
Freshman User
I did mine in 2.5 hours that included replacing 4 tires with the help of my brother and a fully equipped shop w/lift.I didn't have to cut anything so i can reinstall if I have to. Try talking to you local Muffler shop and see what they will charge, a freind of mine had Monro Muffler remove and install his for less than 100$. One their tech might do it under the table for less. just an idea.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StClairdean
First time poster here. Firstly, what an awesome forum! Such a great knowledge bank!

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this topic, but I don't think it deserves a new thread. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

I am looking to install a programmer (dpf delete) on my 2009 and am wondering just how big a job this is. I am getting quotes of 3-4 hours labour at $125/hour and I just can't see it. Drop the exhaust (down pipe back), bolt up the new and plug in the programmer. Am I missing something here? One guy quoted me $2500+ (Cdn$)for the Mini Maxx and pipes. Sounds outrageous to me.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Takes about an hour or two with hand tools to do just a delete. If your truck is lifted any, it will be much easier as you will have plenty of room to move around under the truck as well as to maneuver the old pipe out and the new pipe in. If your not raised, or you plan on replacing the entire exhaust from the downpipe back, then it's not as easy due to access as Movingsolution mentioned.

The tuning takes about 15-20 min to do.

If you have a Saturday or Sunday to spare and a couple buddies, do it yourself. But it can be done solo as well. Keep in mind, the stock DPF/CAT exhaust is a little less then 100lbs. So don't be under it when it comes free.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 PM
StClairdean
New User
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I don't have a lift on my truck and without a hoist available, it sounds like it will be quite a challenge to get the exhaust off in two pieces.
I talked to another shop and they explained the difficulty of getting the exhaust out so it can be reinstalled if necessary. They gave me a better quote and were much more helpful.
I will get a couple more quotes and go from there.

Thanks again for the feedback. This is my new favorite website!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
If the EGR-disabled tunes don't cycle the EGR, are you guys concerned about the EGR valve eventually sticking? I keep hearing about it, but it's not clear how prevalent of a problem it really is or not.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Good question as I wonder the same.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:07 AM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, good question. I've already had my egr replaced because of it sticking. It's kind of a PITA too because it leaves the truck dead and undriveable.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by aquaman
If the EGR-disabled tunes don't cycle the EGR, are you guys concerned about the EGR valve eventually sticking? I keep hearing about it, but it's not clear how prevalent of a problem it really is or not.
Originally Posted by sawtooth
Good question as I wonder the same.
Originally Posted by boulderbronco
Yes, good question. I've already had my egr replaced because of it sticking. It's kind of a PITA too because it leaves the truck dead and undriveable.
Just a matter of time before it gums up/again. Delete it and never look back.