Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Freshman User

paver56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anybody install strobes?

I want to put strobe lights on my truck-for when I plow and when on the jobsite, I am an asphalt paver and park along the road alot. I use my truck for work as well as personal use. I do not want a big light on top of my truck like I have on the other work trucks. I have seen strobes that you install in by drilling a hole in the headlight assembly. I am nervous about getting moisture in assembly. Anyone do this? Does anyone have a better solution?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Junior User

deedsF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My friend put some on his 450 and has had them in sence it was new in 2008 and has not had no problem with them yes he did drill holes in the head light he put em in fog lights also
Old 12-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Postmaster

ruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud of
Joel Rusche Joel Rusche Joel Rusche
I have the sho-me xenon kit. Installed it on 3 tucks so far. As long as you drill the right size hole and seal with silicone and gasket, no worries. It is possible to hack it up so you are right to be cautious.

Looking at the Whelen products, seems that LED bulb technology just about matches the brightness of the xenon flash bulbs. Def a change in the market and I may go that route next time. Should be easier to install.
2 Kicker 10" subs, Rockford Fosgate amp
Ride-Rite air bags, VIAIR #10007 onboard air, AFE DPF back exhaust, power slot rotors/EBC pads, Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T 295/55 R20! Transfer-Flow 50 gal tank
Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Senior User

machine62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the hidden clear LED strobes on all four corners from strobes n more. One in each headlight and one in each reverse tail light. It was kind of nerve racking drilling a 1" hole into my brand new Recon LED tail lights but everything works well. I noticed a little moisture a couple days later but havent seen any since.
11 F250 CC LB Lariat-H&S Tuned, 4" AFE stainless exhaust, AFE Intake, ready lift kit, 35x12.5x20 Cooper STT's, Lockpick, Recon smoked mirror, roof, tail, & 3rd brake lights, DDM HID Headlights, hidden LED strobes & Firestone air bags
2012 Landmark San Antonio 5th Wheel
2011 Mustang Conv GT/CS 302 C.I.
76 Lincoln Continental Coupe-466 C.I.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Freshman User

garrettwynne is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a federal signal strobe kit in my 05' 6.0, and had no problems. Had to drill into the housing for the lights, but the strobes were on a rubber gasket with a groove that fit pretty snug. First go around installing I broke a couple strobes because I didn't drill enough width. No moisture problems, just be careful when drilling as the excess shavings will be a pain to get out of the housing.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 AM
New User

dc.snowball is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have installed the whalen strobes on several of our trucks. i just completed inatalling a set of led strobes on my '11 f350. put them in the front turn-signal/running light and the lower un-used cavity in the tail-lights. they work ok in the back...but...that lower cavity has no refelection and the led's are pretty much directional. the led advantage is that you don't need a separate power supply box. good luck. need snow
Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Senior User

aaronbrace is starting off with a positive reputation.
Definitely go with LED 'stobes'. Their current draw is minimal. You could park on the road and run them for hours with the truck not even running.

With traditional strobes, XENONS, etc you really want to stay idling while they are running. With the price of diesel nowadays the difference in cost for the LEDs can be paid for quite quickly.

---Aaron
Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM
New User

dc.snowball is starting off with a positive reputation.
aaronbrace...would disagree somewhat. we had/have the whalen xenons on several ntrucks. we have used them for several hours w/ ign. off.. without incident. will agree.. can use led's much longer... maybe for days ....lol
Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Postmaster

Sgt93 is a splendid one to beholdSgt93 is a splendid one to beholdSgt93 is a splendid one to beholdSgt93 is a splendid one to beholdSgt93 is a splendid one to beholdSgt93 is a splendid one to behold
@SSgt93 sgt_93 ssgt93
How about some vids of your guys LED setup.

2011 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 PS CC 4x4 SB with a bunch of crap SOLD.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Posting Guru

srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.
I installed Whalen flashing.

Go to YouTube and search" srkr1432"

You will see my truck installed with the flashers activated.

Also there is another video of the rears installed....and one of a airstream Santa.....

Shane

ALSO: "Limited Edition" seats. Only a few in existance. I have pictures, just ask!!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Freshman User

rgrat1618 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guys in PA, be careful with headlight and taillight strobes and or LEDs. There are a couple of state troopers around the pittsburgh area that will ticket you for them. PA's laws are old and out dated but it is still not legal for anyone other them emergancey vechials to have headlight and tail lights strobes. I even have the ticket to prove it.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Postmaster

ruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud ofruschejj has much to be proud of
Joel Rusche Joel Rusche Joel Rusche
I know it's hard and stressful but the only real effective way to get a good flash in the rear (haha) is to get the strobe in the clear reverse light section of the rear lense assembly.

If not for commercial vehicle inspections I would even do away with the factory light bulb in there to get a strobe bulb in there. Then add reverse lights under the bumper. (I get a dot inspection annually even though the jury is out on whether I need to or not)
2 Kicker 10" subs, Rockford Fosgate amp
Ride-Rite air bags, VIAIR #10007 onboard air, AFE DPF back exhaust, power slot rotors/EBC pads, Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T 295/55 R20! Transfer-Flow 50 gal tank
Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Senior User

dmags is starting off with a positive reputation.
do you have any details on drilling the lights? Where/how I have a set of whelen LED's I want to install but I am a little concerned ...It looks like there is a outer bezel that you need to go through It is a one shot deal and I want it to come out mint.Thanks for your reply in advance.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Senior User

machine62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes there are two layers. I drilled through both of them with one shot and then came back and ground just the outer layer away just enough to get the light through. It made me pretty nervous drilling the first hole but it turned out good with zero issues.
11 F250 CC LB Lariat-H&S Tuned, 4" AFE stainless exhaust, AFE Intake, ready lift kit, 35x12.5x20 Cooper STT's, Lockpick, Recon smoked mirror, roof, tail, & 3rd brake lights, DDM HID Headlights, hidden LED strobes & Firestone air bags
2012 Landmark San Antonio 5th Wheel
2011 Mustang Conv GT/CS 302 C.I.
76 Lincoln Continental Coupe-466 C.I.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Senior User

dmags is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by machine62 View Post
Yes there are two layers. I drilled through both of them with one shot and then came back and ground just the outer layer away just enough to get the light through. It made me pretty nervous drilling the first hole but it turned out good with zero issues.
Cool did you remove the light or were you able to drill it and install it mounted? did you use upfitter's? pass through wires ? do you have any pics? did you run them on taillights? if so were did you run wires ? sorry so many questions but i have had these for a while and posted here and never had a response from someone who installed whelen led's
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2011, colorado, f250, ford, gt, hampshire, headlight, installs, kits, led, lights, springs, store, strobe, strobes, tail