Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Senior User

allingeneral is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
6.0L missing when cold

2006 F250 with the 6.0L diesel won't hardly idle out of its parking space when cold. Seems to be missing on a couple of cylinders, runs very rough, but doesn't die.

It seems to run fine at operating temperature.

Where should I start to determine the problem?
BODY: 2.5" Superlift front Spring Spacers - 5" Readylift rear blocks - Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks - 17x10 wheels - 35x12.5x17 Mickey Thompson ATZ tires - Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares - Recon Amber LED Roof Clearance Lights ### ELCTRICAL/MECHANICAL: ScanGauge 2; High Idle Mod; 5w40 Rotella T6 Synthetic; Rotella ELC conversion; Blue Spring; Replaced EGR cooler and oil cooler at 125k;
Old 12-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Postmaster

Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
I would start by checking FICM voltage. There's a thread in the tech folder on how to do it. Next I would pull the EGR valve and inspect/clean it. And if you haven't installed the blue spring in the fuel pressure regulator I would do that also. A check of the fuel pressure would verify any issues. Fuel filters could also be suspect if they've been in there awhile (be sure to get the Motorcraft filters). If the temp is cooling off where you are, a switch to 5w40 oil could help (again with the Motorcraft filters). It could also be the fuel injectors having some stiction issues. RevX has been a big help to some members here although it is usuially temporary.
How many miles on yor truck? Any smoke from tailpipe? Any recent work?
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. CAT ELC. DashBoss.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Senior User

Truck is nearing 100k miles. No smoke from tail pipe. Changed fuel filters about 6 months ago and drained water separator a couple of weeks ago. Changed oil two weeks ago (Rotella 15w-40 and Motorcraft filter).

I appreciate your feedback and will start looking at some of the things that you mentioned.
BODY: 2.5" Superlift front Spring Spacers - 5" Readylift rear blocks - Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks - 17x10 wheels - 35x12.5x17 Mickey Thompson ATZ tires - Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares - Recon Amber LED Roof Clearance Lights ### ELCTRICAL/MECHANICAL: ScanGauge 2; High Idle Mod; 5w40 Rotella T6 Synthetic; Rotella ELC conversion; Blue Spring; Replaced EGR cooler and oil cooler at 125k;
Old 12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Senior User

Also, I have read briefly about fuel injector stiction. If RevX fix is temporary, is the permanent solution to replace the injectors?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Postmaster

Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
Unfortunately, yes. Current wisdom is to get the remanufactured units from your Ford dealership. Something like $280 each! (+labor). The idea being those sold to Ford by the reman companies have the best specs. A seal kit is available if you are handy and want to take them apart, I haven't read of many people doing it though. They are available cheaper on e-bay but hard to say what you're getting until you install it. A few aftermarket vendors have them for a little less $ also.
On your truck with just over 100k mi the injectors should have a lot of life left unless the fuel pressure is low and has been for a long time, a cylinder contribution test will point out any bad ones. I would just replace those. The dealer can do that test or a software program called Auto Ingenuity is available ($350) if you have a laptop. Needless to say it does much more than the test I mentioned. You can also check your local chapter of FTE. Possibly someone near you has it and would be willing to help you out (great bunch of guys on here!)
Hopefully, one of the other items will turn out to be the problem, and your injectors are good.
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. CAT ELC. DashBoss.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:55 PM
New User

Lance4986 is starting off with a positive reputation.
every diesel idles rough when cold and the transmission wont hardly shift but once they warm up everything is good to go
Old 12-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance4986 View Post
every diesel idles rough when cold and the transmission wont hardly shift but once they warm up everything is good to go
I was wondering the same thing about the transmission - if I needed to change the fluid or something. It won't hardly shift when it's cold and I assumed that there was a problem. Now I know that I just need buy a remote start system so that I can fire it up 15 minutes before I head to work.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by allingeneral View Post
I was wondering the same thing about the transmission - if I needed to change the fluid or something. It won't hardly shift when it's cold and I assumed that there was a problem. Now I know that I just need buy a remote start system so that I can fire it up 15 minutes before I head to work.

You shouldnt need to let it warm up that long once you find the issue it will shift right

Usually its a FICM issue like Rusty Mentioned

Also check your oil see if it smells like Diesel Fuel and if its making oil

I had my injector orings leak when cold same symptoms as you guys ran ruff wouldnt shift right till warm then it ran great once warm

odds are you dont have any transmission problems and once you fix the rough running condition the tranny will shift right

You could plug it in till you get it figured out that may help
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
03, 2003, 60, cold, cylinders, diesel, f250, ford, idle, missing, powerstroke, problem, rough, running